Could this still be MAV?

Hello guys,

A neuro-otologist said I could be having vestibular migraines. He prescribed me Verapamil exactly 3 weeks ago. Until last Friday I felt like my symptoms were getting better. My dizziness was really low and numbness in my left hand and foot were very occasional. Then on Friday it hit me again and I have been getting worse again until today.

My numbness is like low blood flow to extremities or foot or hand. It comes on and goes but it stays long periods like several hours or even little over a day. Mostly it is on and off for some time everyday. Is this something VM could cause?

If verapamil was helping, could it have a built up so quickly that it isn’t helping? FYI I do not have headaches. My main symptom is 24/7 dizziness and now since last month on and off numbness. Also muscle twitching.

Verapamil didn’t help me, you may need more time or other drugs.

Vestibular migraine is diagnosed when nothing else matches as its the most likely cause

I had VNG performed which says central abnormality. Neuro - Otologist said could be MAV. So far brain MRI is normal. But how did you guys rule out other neurological conditions? Several other conditions like MS, Lyme, Fibro could cause dizziness. I am more concerned because of other symptoms of intermittent numbness in left foot and hand. There is no diagnostic test for vestibular migraines. And I don’t even get any headaches.

I have same concerns. MS in 99 percent seen in mri. Lyme is long shot .

I don’t get headaches either

Do you get any other symptoms with dizziness? Like numbness or muscle twitches?

Facial numbness all the time

I get numbness in hand and foot on left side. Facial numbness sometimes but doesn’t stay too long. I am worried this is not MAV but I don’t know what else could be. Any suggestions on where I can seek the answers?

At this time if your mri is clear, nothing else. Vestibular migraine is diagnoses given when nothing else can be found.

You could have early ms, but very doubtful with clear mri. There are spinal tap tests to look further into this if advised by your doctor.

Lyme you can be tested for and would likely have really bad joints. Do you live in a area with high lyme rate?

Lots of people get numbness in hand and foot, ect and allot of the times a reason is never found.

Numbness in hand and foot on one side is very common with migraine also.

I have migraine associated vertigo and have dizziness almost always to some degree and migraines with aura on really bad days…averaging about 1 a month right now of the bad ones. I do get headaches and when at there worst I get weakness in my arms…usually on one side and have trouble getting my words/thoughts out. If j were having to use a cane I would definitely be questioning my doctor and getting 2nd and 3rd opinions. My MRI’s are not clear…I have “white spots” that appear to be multiplying over the last 10 years. We are hoping they are being caused my the migraines, but could also be due to something they’ll figure out later on if symptoms increase. My spots do not look like MS though and have had spinal tap. MAV is just really weird all the way around and pretty much sucks, but having to walk with a cane sounds pretty major to me! I say keep searching for answers and go to more doctors!

I get headaches sometimes, but they’re pretty mild. They feel more like sinus headaches than anything else, but I don’t have any actual sinus problems. Wanted to comment on the numbness though – I have the same problem (also on left side only), but that’s actually due to poor posture. I’ve noticed that when I feel sick from MAV (or anything else, really), I tend to do the following things more: slouch down, keep my body tilted, sit on my couch as opposed to upright in a chair, and lay in bed often propped up on some pillows. All of these things are bad for my posture, and it got to the point where the numbness and tingling were really distracting (and scary) and I had to go to physical therapy to remedy them. Once I realized it was posture-related, I cut out most of those behaviors (particularly using my couch, which has absolutely no back support), and the numbness has just about disappeared. If I spend 2 hours on the couch, it comes back for a day or so. It’s the most reliable symptom I have! But anyway, just wanted to present the idea that the numbness may not be directly related to the MAV. (Oh, also, for me my posture – particularly neck posture – makes my lightheadedness much worse.) Hope this helps!