Xanax and Effexor

Hi Everyone,

Have you ever taken Xanax and Effexor together? My doc told me it’s ok, but I’m worried it’s going to make me feel worse…
Any thoughts?

Best,

Emma

[NOT PROFESSIONAL ADVICE]

I’d be careful of doing so…

If you go to drugs.com, there’s a tab marked “Interactions Checker.” If you look up Xanax and Effexor XR, it says:

*Moderate Drug-Drug Interaction alprazolam and venlafaxine (Moderate Drug-Drug)
MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.*

As it is, Xanax and all benzodiazepines can be troublesome in and of themselves. Apparently in some people they can cause “rebound anxiety.” Did your doctor suggest combining these two medicines? Or did you just ask if he had any objection to it?

Hi,

My doctor (Dr. Hain) told me it’s ok to take them together if I feel the need to. I was prescribed Xanax from another doc and I have taken them in the past . I just wanted to know if anyone has taken them together and what their experince were.
Thank you for looking up the info!

Emma

Hi Emma,

I have been taking the occasional valium (another benzo) and Effexor together with no issues apart from when I was increasing the dose of Effexor. One night it seemed to make me feel more “tripped” out. I used valium a lot too while on citalopram (Cipramil) for 4 years with no problems. But 99.9% of the time valium is gold. I have experienced rebound anxiety on Ativan only (short half-life) but never on valium. I can’t comment on Xanax though because I’ve never used it.

Xanax info from the MIMS database (used exclusively by GPs in Australia):

— Begin quote from ____

Drug Interactions: Alcohol; CNS depressants; CYP3A4 inhibitors e.g. azole antifungals, macrolides, cimetidine, [size=130]fluvoxamine (luvox), fluoxetine (prozac)[/size], diltiazem, cyclosporin, amiodarone, grapefruit juice; HIV protease inhibitors e.g. ritonavir; propoxyphene; isoniazid; ergotamine; nifedipine; imipramine, desipramine; anticonvulsants; disulfiram; Li; OCs.

Excretion. Alprazolam and its metabolites are excreted primarily in the urine. In addition to alprazolam, the major drug related materials excreted in urine are alpha-hydroxyalprazolam and a benzophenone analogue. About 50% of the dose is excreted within 24 hours and 94% after 72 hours. With chronic dosing, the apparent elimination half-life increases by about 50%, possibly because of compartmentalisation effects. Maximal concentrations and half-life of alprazolam are approximately 15 and 25% higher in Asians compared to Caucasians.

— End quote

It appears the half-life isn’t too bad which likely lowers the risk of rebound anxiety.

Scott 8)

— Begin quote from “scott”

Xanax info from the MIMS database (used exclusively by GPs in Australia):

— Begin quote from ____

About 50% of the dose is excreted within 24 hours and 94% after 72 hours.

— End quote

It appears the half-life isn’t too bad which likely lowers the risk of rebound anxiety.

Scott 8)

— End quote

Keep in mind that they appear to referring to when it’s literally out of the body, and not out of the bloodstream.
rxlist.com/xanax-drug.htm quotes a mean half life of 11.2 hours (which TBH is still higher than I would have guessed for xanax).

rxlist.com

Good website. Haven’t been there before. S

I’ve used Topamax and xanax and it shows the same interaction. So I called my pharmacist and she said that this particular combination was fine. Call your pharmacist if you are really concerned. He or she will know for sure if it’s a problem if you are worried

Rich

Thanks for the response!!
Emma

Xanax and effexor are only some of the drugs that people here use which interact with grapefruit, from what I’ve read.