Migraine Diet Question

Marci and Howie,
Thank you for your advice on giving the Verapamil more time to work. I’m so impatient. I just want to feel good again. This MAV has really changed my life. I don’t go places alone anymore. I always take my mom or husband with me to stores, etc. I’m scared to go anywhere alone especially with my children for fear of getting a bad vertigo spell, plus I’m dizzy almost 24/7. What is this migraine diet? I just ordered the book Heal Your Headache the other day, I haven’t received it yet. I noticed a lot of people refer to it. This has caused me so much anxiety. I made my followup with Dr. Hain for the 20th of this month. Hopefully, the med on I am will start working by then. My husband doesn’t understand my condition. I hope all of you are having a good day and feeling better. Thanks for the support! -Nance

(NB from admin: these images link to a products this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

It’s about cutting out foods that can trigger migraine and/or add to your migraine load. In the end, a LOT of foods can be triggers… but they don’t have to be for you. If you’re impatient you can just google migraine diet and you’ll find plenty. It’s all it the book, by the way, including what you CAN eat and example recipes.

Make sure your husband reads the book as well, and he’ll probably understand a lot better. :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

…Make sure your husband reads the book as well, and he’ll probably understand a lot better. :slight_smile:

— End quote

This may also help him realize that he will have to change his diet too, or else cook two meals every time you eat. :lol:

Brian

Nance,

As Tranquility said, there is a version of the diet in Heal you Headache. You will also find various versions on the Internet. Be careful not to let yourself become overwhelmed with the many different versions. Some of them are so inclusive they barely leave you anything to eat. And, you will find contradictions between the different versions. I recommend just using the diet from the book. It is the one my neurologist told me to follow. It is straightforward and not excessive. The one thing you should definitely start weaning yourself off of, if you consume it, is caffeine. Giving up my morning coffee had the largest impact on me when I was experiencing bad vertigo like you are. Everyone is different, but you should definitely try avoiding caffeine for a while. I believe all the experts agree on that one. If you do a search on this forum, you will find quite a bit about the diet and the food triggers some of the members have identified for themselves.

I’m sorry you are having so much trouble with the vertigo. I remember what it was like to have that symptom rule your life.

Take care,

Marci

— Begin quote from “MarciM”

Nance,

As Tranquility said, there is a version of the diet in Heal you Headache. You will also find various versions on the Internet. Be careful not to let yourself become overwhelmed with the many different versions. Some of them are so inclusive they barely leave you anything to eat. And, you will find contradictions between the different versions. I recommend just using the diet from the book. It is the one my neurologist told me to follow. It is straightforward and not excessive. The one thing you should definitely start weaning yourself off of, if you consume it, is caffeine. Giving up my morning coffee had the largest impact on me when I was experiencing bad vertigo like you are. Everyone is different, but you should definitely try avoiding caffeine for a while. I believe all the experts agree on that one. If you do a search on this forum, you will find quite a bit about the diet and the food triggers some of the members have identified for themselves.

I’m sorry you are having so much trouble with the vertigo. I remember what it was like to have that symptom rule your life.

Take care,

Marci

— End quote

This is some very good advice. I have been following the information provided the direction in Heal Your Headache since October and know that I have marked improvement. Not completely gone but manageable at this time.

Some things that you need to try and do that will help is .

Go to bed at the same time each night and get your rest.
Drink plenty of water )I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.
Eat four or five small meals throughout the day. The diet will give you what you can and cannot eat. I also stay away from things really high in simple sugars as that seems to make my symptoms worse.
I will second cutting out the Caffeine and all MSG.

Try putting a cold pack on the back of your neck when symptoms are really bad.
I have added supplements to my daily regiment. Magnesium, Vitiam D, Cq10, B Complex Vit.
Try once you feel better to get some exercise, not a lot just walking a bit.

I am so sorry you are going this I know how horrible it can make you feel. You will probably find more information here than from any other source and you will find those who understand.

We are here to listen and let you know what has worked for us , although we are all diff when it comes to medications we can at least give you our experiences.

Your anxiety is going to be bad until you get some relief and some manageability to this, I think most have gone thorough this. Try to understand what is going on and learn to deep breath and try and relax. Get plenty of rest and let others help you , don;t try and push yourself to do more than you can at this time.

It is going to take some time, some understanding , some prayers and some real discipline on your part to follow the diet and make some lifestyle changes to improve.

Best of luck to you and we are here for you when you need to vent.