Help me.

I do migraine diet see a therapist three yrs never drink caffeine and 10 mg of periactin . Omg Iā€™m still in trauma. I have horrific neck pain . I think I donā€™t understand vm. It is a case of forever or just a life of relapses?

Yes it can be chronic.
Yes you can make it ease down to a point where you can ignore it.[Using meds, diet and lifestyle]
Yes acute relapses are quite common and could stay for months.
Remission can happen and if it happens enjoy it.
If remission does not happen then you have to actively project manage it.

There is nothing more to understanding VM. Donā€™t beat yourself up over it.

1 Like

Ugh so live with it can vm develop into md or anything else?

It is a very much live with it kind of deal at times. I try my best to fake it until I make it (in terms of how Iā€™m feeling). Will VM morph into something worse? If I understand your question right then the answer I think is no. However, the stress from VM is obviously not good for overall health at all, just stress in general isnt, and VM will exacerbate that. The stress can obviously cause other issues, so that needs to be controlled the best you can.

We have no higher risk of MS, MD than others do.

Whats good advice during an attack just ride it out?

Actually according to recent research Iā€™m not convinced thatā€™s the case. Itā€™s still the minority though:

https://www.mvertigo.org/t/migraine-associated-vertigo-vestibular-migraine/17466?u=turnitaround

So including yourself you think vm can eventually be md?? My vestibular tests in Sept were normal.

Mine were normal too, but the reality is the balance system is extremely small and delicate and hard to get good resolution into what is actually going on in there. The tests can only detect large inner ear problems. So if your tests were normal its actually good news. My vestibular system was good enough to make me vomit during the VNG! But I think for some people who perhaps have very sensitive balance systems, even a minor assault on the vestibular system could cause major problems in the way they experience balance.

In my case, I remain open to the possibility that I had labyrinthitis or something else and that my migraines are just a result of it although my main theory is still just migraines. Either way, there is not much difference in treatment - drugs and time.

2 Likes

Not so sure about the ā€˜sensitive balance systemsā€™ but perhaps ā€˜more precariousā€™ balance systems. Iā€™ve read in many medical papers years ago balance problems will always occur once there is even the tiniest flaw in a second element of the vestibular symptom. So perhaps the people who experience more imbalance have some extant and possibly undetected and very minor flaw elsewhere which makes them more sensitive to sensations others mightnā€™t even notice. Helen

By sensitive I mean able to detect smaller changes in movement than other people. Michael T. Teixido in the migraine summit (day 4) alluded to this, not sure if itā€™s true. He referred to a test whereby MAV patients could detect tiny tilts of the body that other normal people could not.

3 Likes

If you have MD in your future it would start with some low frequency hearing loss. If there is none put the MD related anxiety to rest and treat the VM.

I am a walking plumb line and i can detect even minute change in floor gradient even in brand new houses.

3 Likes

@GetBetter. Same here!

3 Likes

Hi all I know Iā€™ve posted before but this is the only place I have to go. Itā€™s day 9 with only two full days of sleep. My head has been hurting goes away then comes back shifting from back of head to forehead but my problem is as soon as I close my eyes to go to bed itā€™s a weird sinking drunk feeling and my body cannot sleep it wonā€™t let me. Itā€™s as If my heart works harder and I canā€™t breathe but the hungover feeling wonā€™t let me sleep . When will this episode stop as I question myself is this a vm symptom . Has this been a main symptom for anyone else. Pls help me guys Iā€™m so lifeless.

Try sleeping upright.

Itā€™s 3am and I am upright nothing is working Iā€™m getting really scared.

Go to the ER and get some sleep meds.

And yes, weā€™ve mentioned this before, everything you are experiencing is very much in the line of VM. Sleep deprivation can drive you crazy. So treat that. VM is disabling but will not kill you. You need to get the help to sleep so you can ramp down this panic reaction.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not panicked . But it will not let me sleep . Not a wink. and I havenā€™t seen anyone else on here with the same problem as me. Iā€™m just worried it could be something dangerous as Iā€™ve had no relief and excruciating head pain.