Hearing + feeling your heartbeat

Is there anyone else here who can hear their heartbeat (pulsatile tinnitus), and perhaps feel it?
Not only do I hear it (especially with earplugs), but I feel it too. If I lie on the floor I tremble slightly by each beating, bobom, bobom. I have made my bed very soft, so its not felt much except against the pillow.

On my good days this is the thing that always remains, even when I feel very little false motion. I can always feel it when I press my fingers together, and unlike the dizzies this does NOT go away when I’m in motion (at least not the feeling in my fingers; hard to know with the tinnitus as there’s so much noise).

/ Mike from sweden

Hi Mike,

Sometimes I can hear it, one ear only, but what drives me insane is 24/7 feeling the heart beat to such an extent that it creates the illusion of movement.
Its like bouncing up and down on a trampoline. And it’s not fun.
I get it standing up, siting down or laying down. It’s worse laying on my left side in bed. Do I think that is a MAV symptom? Nope.
I need to find a darn good cardiologist or neurologist. Our autonomic nervous system is what controls how our heart beats.
My problem is compounded by having POTS. When my heart rate is 110, I almost jump out of my skin and my whole body is vibrating. :shock:

Oh I forgot, that thing with your fingers— I know this will sound nuts, but, I get confused if I am feeling my pulse through my fingers or what I am touching!
What I mean is, say I put my fingers on the back of my skull, well it feels like you can feel the pulse anywhere on the skull. Knowing that’s not true, I know it’s
coming through my fingertips. I’m sick of feeling my heart and pulse, anywhere and everywhere, basically.

Heather

Hi Mikael,
yes I’ve had this at times as well, I put it down to my blood pressure and Heart related issue’s.
I feel it at night ,head on my pillow. (pulsating wildly)
it can tickle my ear at times as well.

jen

— Begin quote from “jennyd”

Hi Mikael,
yes I’ve had this at times as well, I put it down to my blood pressure and Heart related issue’s.
it can tickle my ear at times as well.

jen

— End quote

My experience is similar to Jen’s. Plus I see orange and purple blotches flashing in my vision with by heartbeat when I exert myself at all, such as when I climb the stairs at work.

Yes, I hear my hearbeat but in my left ear only. I’m really kind of freaked out about it though the doctor tells me it is harmless. It isn’t there all the time and is most noticiable when lying down at night. It pulses in the same sound as my tinnitus. I have had a carotid artery us, not because of this but because of something else, and that was normal. But the u/s only goes as far as the base of the skull which is nowhere near where the pulse sound is.

— End quote

Jen can you elaborate? Does it feel like your head is (don’t laugh) bouncing up and down on the pillow?
Or do you have no motion, and you just feel the pulse in your skull?
I feel it in my back when I lay in bed, flat. So I sleep on my right side a lot.

Heather

I always have the motion with it, infact its almost rythmicly with my Heart beat and rocking, its definately paulsating, I can feel the tickling of my ear going in and out, and can hear the pillow cratching sound as it does it.
yes the pulse is in the back sides of my scull and temples.
I’m so use to it, I never give it a 2nd thought really.
but remember my tachy HR is always out of controll, its probably my heavy heart beat and blood pressure.

Heeee! I dont know if that makes any sense? :mrgreen:

I always have the motion with it, infact its almost rythmicly with my Heart beat and rocking, its definately paulsating, I can feel the tickling of my ear going in and out, and can hear the pillow cratching sound as it does it.

Heeee! I dont know if that makes any sense? :mrgreen:

— End quote

yes yes yes— That’s what I have too! The motion is in perfect rhythm and that’s how I know it’s the heart. (Or the crazy autonomic nervous system making the heart do that) Funny you use the word “scratching” that’s exactly what it sounds like on the pillow. It ticks me off so I turn over.
I’m so sick of the motion in bed Jen, I may as well get out a set of oars and start paddling the boat. What am I now, the captain of my ship? :lol:

Hi Mikael,

Glad you asked this question because i was wondering the samething. I have intermittant Tinnitus…but when i am lying down (ready for bed) i can feel what sounds like a heartbeat in my left ear. It doesn’t bother me that much but it still made me wonder…what is going on?? Seems like ever since i started Verapamil the heartbeat throb began to be noticeable. Once i’m up and around the house and during the day it’s not noticeable.

Joe

In the beginning, before treatment, I could actually hear and see it. My vision would actually pulse in and out. Since treatment, I rarely get it now. (I was seeing visual snow at that time really bad also).
A few weeks ago, when getting ready for bed, I bent down and the noise was almost deafening in my ears. Took me by surprise because its been a long time since I’ve experienced anything like that.

Very annoying, very unnerving.

Kim

Kim,

Did the visual snow go away? I’ve pretty much accepted that I will have to live with visual snow for the rest of my life. Visual snow and tinnitus are two symptoms that are always present, no matter how good I am feeling. Maybe there is hope for them to go away?

Marci

Hey Marci-

Yes, the visual snow went away for me (for the most part). I can’t really say what caused it to leave because the same time I started propanolol, I also changed my diet, quit my job, etc.

I have to say these days, the tinnitus is most prevalent (but its not relentless, it comes and goes also - Thank God). The pulsing vision, and the feeling of my pulse is really rare anymore. I wish I could tell you what exactly helped, but I can’t. But no, its not hopeless. You can get there.

Kim

I get this too. I’m very glad that this thread has been posted because I was just pondering in bed this morning how I could describe it to anyone, as its so hard to articulate. So thanks everyone!

Becky

I have this too, but with minimal or no motion. More headache = more pulsating. Having earplugs on and laying on my side, with one ear to the pillow, is the worst.

I only really hear it when my earplugs are in (or maybe without them, but I use earplugs to sleep so). And yes I feel it mostly in my head and back, not much in the legs.
What I did to avoid this in bed is making it super-soft. It’s almost not felt except against the pillow now. Try that.

Its REALLY pronounced in my head and hands (often holding a book) when I’m taking a bath. Extra bloodflow I suppose.

When I couldnt sleep and my rocking was worse, I had much more visual problems. Snow - flickering lights all over. Also I had black lines and my periphal field of vision was “smoke”. All of that is pretty much gone now.

Sometimes when I push myself physically, I “blackout” a little bit and things look dark and orange. I’ll check if it matches my heartbeat next time that happens, but I think that’s normal (not if its pulsating perhaps).

Hi Mike,
Actually I was lying on the couch just yesterday trying to think of how to describe the exact same thing you are. It comes and goes, but is extremely unnerving. It feels like my pulse is beating wildly, but when I actually listen to it, it’s not beating too fast.

stacey

I’m up waiting for my hubby to come home and thought I’d chime in on this one.
tv sucks in oz on friday nights in the burbs.

dose anyone have this while upright?
I’ve only ever had it while laying down in bed.
mine sucks in and out like puckering lips

anyway here’s a quicky.
boards.webmd.com/webx?THDX@@.89a … =.89a9f297

jen :mrgreen:

Now that i think about it…not only do i have a mild pulsating in my left ear but pultz like feeling in the head (as if my heart is in my head). That maybe is part of the headache?? I do have a fullness in the head…but it’s like fullness of Tension.

Joe

— Begin quote from “joseph0952”

Now that i think about it…not only do i have a mild pulsating in my left ear but pultz like feeling in the head (as if my heart is in my head). That maybe is part of the headache?? I do have a fullness in the head…but it’s like fullness of Tension.

Joe

— End quote

I think that may be part f what I have referred to as the wave like sensation in my head , a pulsating type feeling coming from inside my head but it does not correspond with my heartbeat.

Hi Mike,

From the very day this started for me (Aug 2003) I am aware of my heartbeat when I lie down. Before this hit, I never felt it at all. Something definitely changed for me back then and it all happened within 12 hours. Haven’t been the same since.

Cheers … Scott 8)