You're not going to believe this!

Try plugging your ear with Silicone plugs for 2 weeks (one at a time/24hrs) and see if it makes any difference. It could be the sound in which case you may have some kind of fistula. Good luck!

1 Like

And definitely DONT use headphones for a while and see if that helps.

Itā€™s been calming down but I notice that getting all worked up over things brings it on again or doing too much computer work. I have a high-stress and demanding job and I notice the off balance sensations get stronger when I am stressed outā€¦ It feels like they are going away along with the sound sensitivity the less stressed out I am.

Is there a correlation - could this be all stress apart from the BPPV?

My condition gets worse with stress. Iā€™ve even felt dizzy for a few seconds when having a particularly stressful moment.

I have another ENT appointment next week with someone different. I want to hear their opinion.

1 Like

I kept doing that until I found someone who could actually explain my symptoms so that it made sense without any arm waving and nebulous concepts where I felt like an adult.

I have just been diagnosed with Torricllis would could explain some off balance and dizzy sensations

Might do. Doubt it.

I take it you donā€™t believe in chiropractors?

They are great to fix compressed nerves, I just donā€™t believe they have influence over dizziness. But if youā€™ve seen significant improvement of your symptoms with their treatment then who am I to pooh pooh it?!

I had terrible pins and needles and numbness in my hand once and it turned out to be a pinched nerve in my back. The guy I saw fixed me in 30 minutes ā€¦ amazing.

Hi Iā€™m trying the ear plugs. Dizziness day 2 down 80%. Iā€™m going to keep going the full week. It was hard to go through Walmart with the plug in though.
Little background had problems with sounds in the left ear for sometime before I went into 24/7 dizziness. 7 months non stop. Except when sleeping of course. Ear fullness and blown speaker crackle noise in ear to dishes people talking etcā€¦ with the plug in I can hear my ear vibrating very fast to sounds. Itā€™s not heart/pulse checked that.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Might be onto something silicone MAV plugs at local pharmacy.

2 Likes

Ok 4th day crash and burn. Ear plug worked for a few days now back again to the affliction.
I agree itā€™s a fluid ear thing it happened after bending over planting. The fluid pressure tubes something is not right.
Back to Zonegran. It stops the dizziness to a tolerable level.
Back in April I couldnā€™t even go into a supermarket, drive, walk straight or function. So in some ways itā€™s better than months ago but way far from normal.
Think on this if the medication works then it treats what you have.
I do hope that when people feel well they come back and post success stories.

Gah sorry it came back. I have a theory that you get explosive force from inside and whilst a plug will promote healing as it protects the ear from noise and external pressure, it will not help to overcome internal pressure fluctuations which can occasionally go high enough to cause a temporary leak and if that leak is strong enough thatā€™s when I believe you experience vertigo.

I suspect you need other strategies to limit or eliminate vertigo:

• Elevate head when lying down
  • dont cough or hold in a sneeze, especially when lying down.
  • avoid bending down below waist
  • follow the diet
  • wait! So long as your ear is healing vertigo episodes should become more & more rare over the very long period (but can worsen before it gets better)

Your story sounds exactly like mine. I had no symptoms for a month. Went out planting & cleaning the garden & the symptoms are back. Returning to the ear plugs again. Good luck!

Have you had any thoughts on it being a blood flow issue? One doctor wanted to get an ultrasound of my carotids.

i like gardening too. I well missed out on the spring crops because it started then, and now the fall.
Did you enjoy it at least? Sorry to hear that itā€™s such a mystery of a condition.

Definitely not. I had an initial trauma to the ear and my symptoms started immediately after, easing dramatically within weeks then coming back with a vengeance 5 months later. Absolutely sure itā€™s PLF + SEH (and I personally believe SEH & MAV are the very same condition). Have this diagnosis from top university professor.

Sleeping on the left side bring back my symptoms.