Workplace lighting - Help? Suggestions?

Hi,

I have had massive problems with my office environment. Here’s my tips:

1. Move to be as close to a window as possible- you want as much natural light as possible. But make sure-
  • Your screen is not directly facing or behind the window or you’ll get an odd reflection- I find being side on is perfect- the natural light comes in between my eyes and the screen. I put my screen as close to the window as I can get but side on.
  • You need blinds across the window for when the sun comes in and it’s too bright.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/179721_10151243751841607_1106689811_n.jpg

1. Turn the overhead flourescent lighting off. I tried filters, I tried 2 bulbs instead of 4. I tried it all… One engineer even concoteced this amazing combination of special black fire retardant material slotted onto the light fitting so that I wouldn’t be able to see the light- and I couldn’t- but it still affected me even though it was only lighting up my desk space- which is interesting. But anyway, I digress…

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315699_10151243751911607_1006377732_n.jpg

Turning the lights off may affect others sat opposite/around you. So you need to move to a desk which won’t affect others or the others need to move. Or someone who doesn’t mind your lighting choices needs to sit near you. Unfortunately I ended up pissing off the small I.T department sat opposite me by constantly standing on my desk fiddling with the overhead light, etc and they ended up moving up the other end of the office, but there wasn’t much more I could do. Now I have someone sat opposite me who tolerates my diva lighting demands.

1. You need normal lightbulb lighting above your head if you can get it. If its no possible, try a upright lamp. My company kindly bought me an standing uplighter lamp. Important- you want one with a dimmer switch on it so you can turn it up and down. You need one which gives out a high wattage so it’s bright enough to light up the whole of your area- bearing in mind you’ve turned the over head light off.
    This is the one I have:

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

I can be made to turn up really bright and I put it behind me- it’s good to illuminate the back wall directly behind me for the person opposite me as well. And there is a crappier one in front of me to help the girl opposite me.

1. Try filters over your screen. I use a blue one of these. It helps me. crossboweducation.co.uk/prod … erlay.aspx

2. Take regular breaks. I never do this, it’s hard. But it does help.

MMx