Woke up dizzy, heart pounding, neck ache

Hi. No vertigo ever again would be heaven!R.

Yeah, only time I had rotary vertigo was when they did the caloric VNG. And of course when I used to drink too much alcohol. Canā€™t imagine having that for any extended period of time, although it would at least be easier to explain the severe suffering to someone. :grinning:

I am literally running all day at work. I donā€™t even have enough time tot take a lunch break. I have to take time off or I am going to end up in the hospital Im working at from exhaustion. Helen, besides diet what else should I be doing to get better? I am so worn out from this.

Unfortunately Iā€™ve no need to imagine it. Had it for 72 hours rather too many times. Actually I gave up trying to explain MAV to anybody way back. Only people who understand it at all have had vertigo, BPPV-like bursts, or some other form of prolonged dizziness in the past. Nobody else ā€˜gets itā€™. I just so grateful, which sounds daft, my SO had periodically had BPPV on rising in the morning cos it means he gets it, and heā€™s the important one cos he ends up looking after me. Helen

Get back to the consultant and ask what meds he recommends. The conservative approach doesnā€™t seem to be doing much for you. Does it. And bear in mind it is possible that an acute episode of MAV could easily put somebody off their legs in bed for months, unable to stand, and very few people seem to cope with full time stressful, strenuous work and MAV. You should be avoiding triggers not running about looking for more of them and skipping meals (another trigger). Time for a big rethink Iā€™d say. Helen

You are right. If I keep pushing myself and this becomes acute I could be laid up for months. Wake up call. Anybody could be laid up for months if they keep pushing themselves beyond their limit I will try to get the next followup appointment with MD to discuss additional treatments. I thought the diet would be enough and that I would be back to normal. Another wake up call. Thanks for helping me realize this.

1 Like

ā€œFearful hermitā€ is a good description of my own life. Always worried, that something may happen and confined by symptoms when they do happen. A nightmare really.

Itā€™s those ā€œcanā€™t look downā€ spins that are a nightmare to me too. I find that they drain all my confidence. Everything can be going well, then suddenly a spin and BAM! Iā€™m back to the shadows.
Iā€™ve also found that B12 and B2 make me feel worse, so I donā€™t bother.

Im so with you on the " cant look down" situationā€¦its horrendous.

Yep. Some days just looking down to check you still have feet can appear totally reckless! I must admit the meds completely cured me of this for many many months although itā€™s back for now as part of my recent relapse. Helen

I have never been free of it in 4 yearsā€¦im the same looking up to choose a tin a of soup out of the cupboard!!!:joy: ive improved more with outside visual vertigo than i have with head movement

Sorry to hear that. Guessing you still cannot walk outside comfortably looking left and right either? Suppose that would show none of the meds you are taking are actually controlling the balance element of the ā€˜migraine variant balance disorderā€™ then. From my experience the head movement (up/down, static left/right and vice versa) was all controlled by the meds long before it started to control the dynamic looking around and then it all lapsed due to recent relapse. Helen

Yes Helen i still cant look left and right without some discomfort but when outdoors i dont feel as disorientated or drunk as used to since Venlafaxine and Botox
Jo

I used to think these two closely linked but now Iā€™m not so sure. Iā€™m convinced the head movement directly linked to lack of balance. The visual vertigo. Who knows. Obviously itā€™s all MAV really. Helen

Good Morning Everyone,

I am so worn out physically and emotionally. I have been waking up off balance and lightheaded and I have finally realized that I need to slow down and take care of myself. Working too many hours at the hospital with constant running, skipping meals, bright lights has been making my MAV worse. I have used up all my sick days so I have decided to take a leave of absence for a couple of months to get myself back on the road to recovery. I finally accepted that I have a chronic disorder that needs my full attention. When I go back to work I am seriously thinking of starting back 24-32 hours instead of 40 +. Wakeup call for me.

5 Likes

Morning rosjane,
Firstly, Iā€™m sorry to hear you are still so symptomatic and finding it hard.
Secondly, for what itā€™s worth I think youā€™ve given your body and mind the biggest gift you possibly can and that is the time and capacity to heal. I made a big decision like this 2 years ago and it helped immensely, reduced my stress levels immediately and the toll that work brings.
Enjoy this time off and yes, if you can gradually reintroduce work then do this, no point in taking time to heal and then rushing back full on to full time demanding job. Take the time off day by day, keep breathing and know that this will be so good for you. Best of luck keep us posted xx

4 Likes

This is a good move I think, similar to what Iā€™ve been doing.

2 Likes

Good for you! I am taking it prettt slowly at work (luckuly for me, I am not teaching this semester), and saying no to a lot of things and that has helped a lot in the recovery. Enjoy the time!

1 Like

Hey guys, did u heal?

@Onandon03
Hi, what were ur symptoms? Did u feel u were walking on springs? Did u feel like being pulled down by the gravity? Did u eventually recover?