Which sport/type of exercise?

I used to take dance classes 5 times a week (amateur),
now I’m too tired to do anything. Cardio just makes me ill and gives me more headache.
But I want to move and do stuff.
I just don’t know where to start.
Which sport/type of exercise is ok to try?
Anyone doing dance or zumba or anything? I just wonder if I will ever be able to dance again. :frowning:

Swimming works for me and, I believe, for flygirl. I’ve slowly moved up from an initial ~3 laps to doing ~42 laps about 3 times a week, but today, feeling sucky–weak and out of it–I managed about 5 laps. So it goes.

If swimming seems like too much of a challenge, how about water aerobics? That type of class can be a vigorous workout or light swaying, depending on what each individual participant feels up to doing.
My sweetheart, a former dancer, has just returned to exercise, and is taking aqua zumba. She reports her particular class is less like zumba and more like water aerobics, but with better music.

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe I could try swimming.

Aqua zumba actually sounds nice. There is only one place that offers it. They have been full booked since like…forever :wink:

42 laps! That’s great!!

I desperately need to exercise. Having sat up in bed for over 12 months now my backside has spread :smiley: and my hips are getting sore and stiff from lack of usual mobility. I have never been able to do anything that involves running and thrashing about, the movement always set off dizzy spell. I did try swimming once but it made me very off balanced once I was out the pool.

What on earth could I do. I use a stick to walk about and can’t stand up without wobbling about.

I so need some advice from someone or I am going to end up a very unhealthy blob!!

Can you try going for short walks with your stick? I have to use one 24/7 now and I try to get out and walk a little everyday- you could even try using 2 like ski poles when you walk if that keeps you more steady?

Also I get the hip pain too if I dont walk enough- getting out even for 5 min walks can help with that!

Can a friend maybe join you at a local gym?
Maybe you can try some light strength ex where you sit down and can focus on one point.
I don’t know your history by heart so please don’t feel offended.
Hope you find something that works.

I now go to the gym twice a week. I do some very light cardio and then some strength. Easy stuff
and not for a long time, but hey it’s a start.

I’m dreaming of going to a zumba class one day 8)

I’ve also bought a WII to try some yoga and work on my balance.
Maybe one day I will be able to join a real yoga class!

Yes good idea Sarah will try to walk more but at such a slow speed would it really be beneficial health wise? I certainly can’t get out of breath walking with the pace I go. I suppose it will help my stiff hips and legs. I so feel 90 at the moment :smiley:

Belgian Waffle, the gym idea sounds good but it frightens me. A few years ago I bought an exercise bike and sat on it once and peddled for a little while and got the most excruciating migraine ever. Never went on it again. Silly I know because I should have persevered. I do have some hand weights - I may try using them at home.

Thanks for you replies
Angela

Walking slowly is worlds better than not walking.

For the many months, after this first hit, that I didn’t have a dx, I’d walk half a block, slowly, holding on to neighbors’ chain link fences, and return. Beat the hell outa sitting/lying on my duff.
Later there were times, after I started swimming, when I’d do my 2-3 slow laps and leave the pool and the room would go “vrrroom, vvvvroom,” and I’d have to lie or sit there a little while till I settled down. Sometimes I’d do the visual whatchamacallit, repositioning exercises. Sometimes someone would come over and say, “You okay?” and I’d answer “I have a thing where I sometimes get kinda dizzy, and I need to do this.” And they’d say, “Oh. Okay, I just wondered.” and I’d thank them. Nothing worse than that happened, and slowly I was able to build up (with, naturally, countless reverses).

So true, even on the most crappy days, I try to walk, go outside, even just to
the book shop that is just one street away.

Hi,

I’m new to the board, and this is my first post. I spent the first 11 months doing as little as possible, as we know laying in the dark feels the best. I tried many versions of cardio and sports, and it was difficult. I’m 31 and was very active before this hit. 6 weeks ago I made a decision to get my life back, and here’s what is working for me (meaning I don’t get so dizzy I throw up!)

Restorative Yoga: This might be great for you. It’s basically stretching, that helps our organs and body. It’s basic, almost always on the ground, and I can handle 98% of the moves. Be sure to arrive early to talk to the insturctutor so she can be aware of your medical issues. She’ll guide you in different positions if she doesn’t think one will be right for you. It gets your blood flowing and helps your body. I’ve been doing it since last summer, so that says something.
Swimming: I try to swim laps 1-2 days a week. I use a kick board. Go slow, and just do 20 mins. I go at the end of the day as I’m spinning pretty good when I get out, but if feels great when in the water.
Personal Training: I found a trainer at my gym who is amazing. I worked out with the head of the group to reserve a private, dark, quite room for my sessions (at no charge) and have no cancellation period for my sessions. I see her 2x a week, and my sessions are catered to my needs. 80% of the activities are on my back and the others are sitting on a chair. She makes sure to not have me move too much, yet I’m building muscle that I lost in this last year.

Please know, none of this is as nice as lying on the couch in the dark. Dr Bayloh hammered into me those who manage their lifestyle and exercise have the best chance of getting better, so this is my attempt and feeling a little more uncomfortable than I prefer, while hoping to get better.

Best,
Amy

Hello Amy,

Good for you that you are trying to get your life back with excercise!!
The yoga sounds good!

I go to the gym every now and then, to do some light training while sitting down or something. Cardio gives me more headache and sometimes I just don’t go because I’m too fatigued… :frowning:

Anyway, hope you will find some relief with your new lifestyle and exercise!!

BW