Update - Started Pizotifen

I was on 20mg of Paxil for 3 months (including titration time) and it did very little to help my chronic motion intolerance. I decided to stop Paxil. Would it be worth trying another SSRI like Celexa or Zoloft? Are they unlikely to help since Paxil didnt help?

I have started Pizotifen because I have heard such great things about it. Im currently on .5mg and will increase to 1mg within a few days.

I have been on 0.5mg for 8 days now. I have only experienced very mild dry mouth and tiredness in the mornings. I barely notice these side effects at all.

On a positive note, my dizziness has been barely noticible the past few days. I dont know if its the Pizotifen, or just me feeling better but I doing pretty well. I plan to go up to 1.0mg within a few more days.

That is such great news. I love reading about improvements. I too have severe motion intolerance still even though all of my other symptoms have improved significantly on Effexor generic. My dr just upped my dose to 150 since driving is still hard. It’s improved but not enough. If after 6 weeks, I see no further improvement, than he’s going to add topomax. Do you have a hard time driving? What are your symptoms? I am always anxious to hear from others that have the severe motion problems. So it’s good to hear your current med is working on that.

Let me know. Keep us updated and good luck with upping it more

Mary

— Begin quote from “ichbindarren”

I have been on 0.5mg for 8 days now. I have only experienced very mild dry mouth and tiredness in the mornings. I barely notice these side effects at all.

On a positive note, my dizziness has been barely noticible the past few days. I dont know if its the Pizotifen, or just me feeling better but I doing pretty well. I plan to go up to 1.0mg within a few more days.

— End quote

What great news! Brings a smile to my face :slight_smile:
When I took Pizotifen a few years ago, it made the dizziness virtually disappear within just a few weeks. Yes, it probably is the Pizotifen, believe! :slight_smile:
Best wishes,
Tony.

P.S. Meant to mention - if the dizziness is barely noticeable at 0.5mg, why not stay there a while, and see how you feel, rather than increase to 1mg just yet…? Just a thought…

I have been on 1.0mg for 1 week now. Im at my usual baseline, maybe a tiny bit better. Ive heard this takes 3-6 weeks to work at a therapeutic dose. How long do you think it will take to work?

Im pretty optimistic, it seems that lots of people have success on this. I read a post by scott’s visit to Dr. Granot saying that this med works almost without fail.

Ive been on 1mg for nearly 4 weeks now. Ive had a day or two where I felt a bit better, but Im still feeling horrible. Im thinking I need to increase the dosage to 1.5mg.

I decided to increase to 1.5mg just to know that Im doing everything I can. I wanna go all or nothing with this. I actually had a pretty good day today. I didnt have any negative side effects of pizotifen, this med has been EXTREMELY easy to tolerate.

Good luck Darren,
I too found this med extremely easy to tolerate!
Tony.

Good luck! I was wondering if anyone knew how this med works and why it is not available in the US? It seems many are getting relief from this med.
Thanks,
Christine

Not sure why its not sold in the US, its a VERY easy med to tolerate with no side effects at all for me, even at 1.5mg. It also seems extremely effective for most people. I bought it from an online pharmacy, send me a PM for more info.

Hi ichbindarren

What is the maximum dose your neuro has prescribed u to take 1.5mg or 2mg? Do u divide the dose in half morning and evening or do u take the full dose at night only ?

Nabeel

I have not consulted a doctor for this medication, but Im following the usual migraine doses which is usually 1.5mg. I take three .5mg pills at night.

I have been on Pizotifen for about 8 weeks. Ive been up to 1.5mg for about 2 weeks. I do feel a little better, but far from perfect still. What should I do???

I found a website that says the dosage can go up to 4mg/day. Not that I’m advocating taking massive amounts of anything without checking with a doc… Just as an fyi… :wink:

xpil.medicines.org.uk/ViewPil.aspx?DocID=18135

Thanks for the advice, Ive thought about going higher. Anyone else have an opinion on that?