UK driving licence authority refused permission

So, I got married last year which was great until I sent off my driving licence for a name change.
Basically, DVLA asked for permission to get a medical form completed by my consultant.
They have one on file already and have OKā€™d me driving with MAV. Anyway, iā€™ve been chasing the hospital monthly to complete this for it only to be addressed when I went to my appointment last month.
He went through the questions on the form and I didnt think anymore about it. Just waiting for my licence.
So, I came home from work Tuesday to a letter from DVLA refusing my licence based on ā€œthe problems with my memory and/or understanding to a degree that is likely to make it unsafe for me to driveā€.
Since when does brain fog be a threat to me being on the road?

Your thoughts on this would be welcome

Thatā€™s an interesting one ā€¦

To fill in bit background. As they already have one medical form presumably you have surrendered yr licence as per the UK Law under DVLA licensing instructions because of vertigo previously? I could understand them refusing if it related to the vertigo. From memory nobody is permitted to drive until they have gone three months without a vertigo attack/dizzy spell, but I cannot quite grasp what they are getting at here. Have you received a copy of the consultantā€™s answers. Under Data Protection you must be entitled. Have read and then you may need a solicitor for advice.

I know Scottish Law is different but I cannot help think if that professional driver who had regular blackouts (and dizziness) for many, 20+ years was it, then passed out driving a refuse cart in large town centre, mounted pavement and killed six pedestrians just before Christmas a couple of years back and walked free from court despite having fraudulently completed medical forms saying he was in perfect health!

Does it pay to be honest. Events sometimes make one wonder. Obviously insurance companies need to be aware of issues relating to driving, and ā€˜vertigoā€™ is specifically listed. I have sometimes wondered about people taking anticonvulsant drugs for MAV too. Iā€™ve vague memories relating to my years in the CJS but cannot be sure. Helen

Hi there,

Thank you for your response.

Yes it was when I had my diagnosis confirmed by the neurologist nearly 4yrs ago that he mentioned contacting DVLA. I sent my report from that appointment to them and had confirmation back they were happy with me continuing to drive. As you said, iā€™d understand them being concerned with the vertigo however, weā€™re not stupid as donā€™t drive when Iā€™m bad.
If my memory was that bad, iā€™m sure i wouldā€™ve lost my job by now?!!

I do recall the case you are referring too.

I do believe that it can backfire on you when you are too honest yet, there are people out there that get away with not ā€œdoing the right thingā€ by declaring what they are supposed to.

I have requested a copy of the report that was sent to the DVLA so I guess iā€™ll have to wait for that and go from there.
The vertigo is finally under control so really frustrated it has got to this :triumph:

1 Like

Thatā€™s just awful. I worry about that, too. I had lasik last year and can now drive without corrective lenses. I didnā€™t go get my license renewed for fear MAV would come take the test for me.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry. I wonder how much information they gather to make these decisions. I can be perfectly fine driving and then get out of the car and be staggering everywhere. Driving is the only motion that doesnā€™t seem to be an issue for me.

What Iā€™m saying in a roundabout way, is that these determinations may not account for the complexities of our illness.

1 Like

Sounds good. What meds are you taking? Have you time to commit your success to a PD?

But just as well some of us do have a conscience. We wouldnā€™t sleep at night otherwise Iā€™m sure,

Itā€™s all very frustrating for you. Maybe DVLA are tightening up but Iā€™ll be interested to see exactly what they are basing this decision on. Very interested. Helen

Iā€™ve a strange feeling for a very long time now that if the relevant authority truly understood MAV it could well be classed with epilepsy and driving would become banned. I wonder whether the same might eventually apply to those, UK at least, taking anticonvulsants to combat it too. Helen

1 Like

Hiya,

Iā€™m getting no response from the Neuro but I have requested a copy of the form from DVLA.
I canā€™t seeing this having a quick turnaround.
Im taking 100mg Nortriptyline and 400mg Gabapentin. Itā€™s the only combination that has it under control but slowing dropping the dose when I can. Iā€™ve been getting alot of migraines lately :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:.
Apologies, I didnā€™t get what you meant by the having time to commit my success to a PD?

2 Likes

No, legal things do tend to drag on! Check out through CAB procedure for obtaining the info under Data Protection Legislation. I used to work in CJS but my info is bit outdated now so donā€™t know correct procedure. Have you asked your GP if they were sent a copy? Worth a try?

Just wondered if you run a Personal Diary on here of your MAV STory. Itā€™s so good for newbies to read Success Stories when they start their own MAV journey and I know youā€™ve been on here a good while getting sorted and now you seem to be sorted symptom wise at least. So I was suggesting you might write up your story for others to share. James has even produced a pro forma to make it easy to gather your thoughts. Thatā€™s what I meant. Helen

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea about seeing if my GP received a copy - ive got nothing to lose.
Iā€™m frustrated as all I wanted today was, as my neurologist has had sight of my file and my message about the DVLA, I just wanted to know if he agreed with it so I had an idea as to whether heā€™d write to them or whether I needed to make an appointment to see him to argue it out. Heā€™s had it since Wednesday!!
What is also frustrating is how rubbish iā€™ve felt this week which is obviously anxiety related because of this decision!!
Great idea about the personal diary. Iā€™ll have a look for the proforma.
Thank you

1 Like

You donā€™t need to. Just navigate to the Personal Diaries Category and hit New Topic. It will be pre-filled.

Thanks James

1 Like

Forgive me, but if youā€™ve had brain fog anything like I have experienced and it happens very regularly and for long periods, I completely agree with the DVLAā€™s decision, and so should you: Youā€™d be an absolute lethal danger to anyone close to you and yourself. One is completely unable to make any decision let alone in a split second whilst in that state.

If, however, it is extremely intermittent and you are able to completely avoid driving when it happens, then I would agree its pretty harsh and obviously very inconvenient if you donā€™t live in a City.

Hi James,

I get what you are saying!!

When I say brain fog, i mean where I can be in the middle of a conversation and suddenly forget where i was going with it. Most people would agree theyā€™ve experienced that before. I just feel I notice it more now than I did before.
I find that some days at work, I find that I struggle to get my brain to function for long periods but never have I got in a car and forgotten where Iā€™m going or how to drive.

Everyone I know who Iā€™ve spoken to, both friends and people I work with, they have said they arenā€™t concerned in any way shape or form and have told me I shouldnt worry either. This is why I continue to believe that this is the wrong decision.

I am yet to hear from my Neurologist as to whether he agrees with them or otherwise. Iā€™m hoping that is the latter

Itā€™s hard to compare without objective measurement, but when Iā€™ve had brain fog I literally couldnā€™t think, my cognitive processes ground to a halt and at that point I would certainly not have risked getting into a car.

Brain fog is the weirdest feeling and quite scary, especially the first few times.

It certainly is a frustating experience and I can honestly say, I donā€™t actually understand why it happens

1 Like