Topamax - Taking the plunge and related info

Well, still on the Topamax. Docs weren’t particularly helpful in regards to figuring out if I have kidney stones (long story, but doc #1 said he was unfamiliar with Topamax, so I should see doc #2 who was the one who prescribed it. Contacted her with description of symptoms and she said didn’t think so, but I should see my PCP or go to a walk-in clinic, for SOMETHING sounds fishy. Went to the walk-in clinic as it was after 5 pm on a Friday, gave them symptoms, did a urine test and they saw no blood (which only means I didn’t pass one) and no bacteria, so they don’t think so either, but who knows?? They actually suggested possible ovarian cysts since I had some pain/tenderness in the lower ab area!!) So, still on the Topamax at 60 mg. Staying an extra week on it since have family in town/on vacation. Same side effects/nothing I can’t seem to handle. Now if I could only get rid of my major back pain and weird bloating, I would feel better!

So the Topamax continues…more later.

I have kidney stones so I know that the only way to dx is through x-ray and/or ultrasound. I see a urologist (who specializes in stones) for my kidney stones. I never passed a stone and have no pain, but docs found out through an x-ray and ultrasound a few years ago. It is likely that your complaints, though, are unrelated to stones.

Still on 60, going up to 75 mg this Saturday. My back/ab issues seem to be unrelated so continuing the Topamax, as I have been tolerating it ok (minor side effects, knock on wood). Still won’t know if it actually will work for me until I hit 100 mg and be on that dose for a while according to my doc.

That is great news Bonnie. I will be starting back up this weekend. I may go a bit slower but I hope to get to a decent dose within a couple of weeks. Ben

Thanks, Ben. Now if I can just solve the lower back and ab pains, I’d be feeling better!

Now remember, the first week or so on Topamax is the worst - you may feel like $%&#. GIve yourself some time. And go slowly if you need to. Good luck! ~Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,
Sorry your back/ab issues have still been unresolved, but at least you feel reassured it is not the Topamax that is causing this. I am glad to hear you are tolerating the med. Good luck with you next dose increase. I look forward to hearing your progress.

Ben, I was wondering what made you decide to trial the Topamax again. I know you were not sure what your next move would be. Good luck to you as well, and start low and go slow as the others have suggested!

Lisa

Ben - I wish you luck as well. I was also wondering what made you decide to continue with it. I hope it is the right med for you. Rich had such luck - it gives me so much hope for this med.

Lisa x 2, thank you for the well wishes. I decided to give it another go because I started having second thoughts about whether I gave it a fair shot. Rich’s experience really started me thinking and I didn’t want to wonder. It is a tough call but I am committed to giving it another try. We will see what happens…thank you both again and I will keep you posted. Ben

Good luck, Ben. Do keep up us up to date as to your progress. I just upped my dose to 75 mg and hanging in there. Still no noticable improvements though (in fact, my visuals seem to be worse recently), although I haven’t had any headaches either. Don’t know if that is the med or just that my migraines have already morphed into a different area anyway.

Best, Bonnie

Currently on 75 mg, going up to 90 mg this weekend. Still have the same minimal side effects as noted (knock on wood) although some are a bit hightened (more tingling, some slow thought processing, etc). Have not noticed any improvement in visual disturbances though which is troublesome. Not sure if this med is actually helping or not, but will continue to give it a shot for now and get to 100mg and stay with it for a bit in hopes that improvement is seen, literally.

Hey Ben, if you are out there, how are you doing on the Topamax?

Hi Bonnie,

I started back up last weekend with 15 mg. I have been struggling with insomnia, headaches, and increased dizziness but I am committed to continuing. I plan to increase to 30 mg on Monday.

Thanks for checking in and I will keep you posted. I am happy to hear that you made it up and I hope you start seeing some positive results!

Ben

Ben - all the best to you. keep us posted.

Hey Ben - Good to hear from you. Just hang in there. The first few weeks are the worst with feeling lousy from the use of the med. Your body has to adjust. After that, it is much better and when you up the dose, only the day or two after do you feel the affects and they are not nearly as bad. I just got up to 90 mg this weekend and again, no major side effect other than some side effects hightened (mainly tingling, a little more tired, some mental slowness) but nothing I can’t handle. I am having more problems in other areas unrelated with my back, strange bloating/stretchmark skin tearing on old scar areas - explain that one to me!! (maybe that is the Topamax somehow??), under eye twitching, and so on. My vision has NOT gotten any better on Topamax which makes me a bit concerned, for it should be helping, but I will still give it time. I would LOVE to see some results on this med, but as of yet, I can’t tell if it is helping me or not, for my headaches had stopped prior to taking it. The only way to measure it for me is really in the visuals (although I will note that I haven’t had any migraines or mental fog while on it, knock on wood, so who knows?)

Anyway, take care and keep the faith! 8) Bonnie

PS> BTW, those of you who think this med will help you lose weight, don’t hold your breath. That only happens if you are currently drinking soda pop (as Topamax makes it taste metallic). You have to be taking much higher doses to lose weight…or it has to be making you sick to your stomach that you stop eating! :mrgreen:

Still on 90 mg, going up to the goal dose of 100 this weekend. Noticed a bit more trouble with finding the right word this week, a little more feeling out of it, more tingling, but again, nothing I can’t handle. Visual disturbances have not changed while being on Topamax. This troubles me. Have not had any migraines other than one minor one initially at the lower doses and no major tension-type ones while on this med. Still don’t know if this is because it is stopping them from happening or because my migraines had already morphed into another area (my migraines change periodically other than the visual problems which have remained constant for the past year.)

Will stay on the 100 mg for a while and then contact the doc to see when I can get an appointment in the next months to determine if I should stay on this med or not.

Good job, Bonnie! I am on day 4 of a mere 25 mg. I am struggling a bit with increased diziness and headaches and some anxiety. My reactive hypoglycemia is also hightened. I am determined to tough it out a bit longer but keep the dose at 25 mg for another week before increasing. You have given me hope for geting up to a therapudic dose! Ben

Thanks, Ben. Just keep at it and know that it can be bumpy for a while. This past week I had a lot more word finding/thought problems and tingling than usual. Am now at 100 mg. Will try it for a few weeks and then give the doc a call and see if I can get in to see her at some point to figure out if I should stay on this med. I just don’t know. My visuals have not gotten any better on this med, and they should have, at least at little. Yet I haven’t had any major headaches either. So…??? And I still don’t know if some of my other odd side effects are being caused by this med too. Gotta hang in there a bit more and then figure it out I guess.

Best, Bonnie