Soya yoghurt / bananas / eggs - diet question

I have half heatedly tried the migraine diet on and off through this whole year and a bit episode of MAV but after my consultation with Dr S last week he said its very important to stick to the diet as well as meds.

Are the above mentioned things ok to eat?

Have any of you had success with removing these from the diet aswell?

Dr S did say to use the guidelines broadly meaning not to stress if eating something containing one of the items on the list. Eggs play a big part in my diet so reluctant to get rid of them unless
I have to… Booooo boring mav!

Hi, I still eat bananas, yogurt and eggs. They are okay on my doctor’s migraine diet. I know bananas and yogurt are not okay on the Heal Your Head diet. I can’t remember if eggs are a no on that one. Soy is a no on my doctor’s list.

I follow it pretty closely. Just starting to reintroduce this week–but since I am feeling so much better-I am hesitant to add anything back in!

(NB from admin: these images link to a products this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

— Begin quote from “swirlgirl”

Hi, I still eat bananas, yogurt and eggs. They are okay on my doctor’s migraine diet. I know bananas and yogurt are not okay on the Heal Your Head diet. I can’t remember if eggs are a no on that one. Soy is a no on my doctor’s list.

I follow it pretty closely. Just starting to reintroduce this week–but since I am feeling so much better-I am hesitant to add anything back in!

— End quote

thats really good to hear Swirlgirl. Can I ask what your Dr’s diet is?

i just tasted the soya yoghurt… its freaking disgusting

Hi I’m with Dr S and I don’t really eat anything no eggs or bananas for nearly 2 years I have a little milk in my decaf tea and a spread of clover on my toast but I’ve always pretty much stuck to the diet ( had a little cheat now and again) I’m not sure how much it helps but but anything is worth a go I know it’s not on Dr S list but soya seems to be a big no no.
You do get kind of used to it lol
Shenay x

— Begin quote from “shenay.e”

Hi I’m with Dr S and I don’t really eat anything no eggs or bananas for nearly 2 years I have a little milk in my decaf tea and a spread of clover on my toast but I’ve always pretty much stuck to the diet ( had a little cheat now and again) I’m not sure how much it helps but but anything is worth a go I know it’s not on Dr S list but soya seems to be a big no no.
You do get kind of used to it lol
Shenay x

— End quote

Interesting that some see Soya as a big nono and others think its ok… would like to ask Dr S this question

— Begin quote from “swirlgirl”

— End quote

Eggs are allowed on Buchholz’s (Heal Your Headache author) diet

Richy,

If you want to PM me your email, I can email you the diet.

I’m slowly working through the Buchholz diet on my own. So far bananas and soy don’t seem to be a trigger for me since I have added them back, but regular yogurt has needed to stay out for me. Triggers are going to be unique to a degree, and some days you might be able to get away with something and not on others depending on how many other triggers you have going. It seems no matter what, yogurt destroys me so it must be a strong one for me. Bummer.

P.S. I agree, that soya stuff is gross! Supposedly there is almond-based yogurt (like the almond milk), though if nuts are a trigger for you that might not work so well. There is also coconut based yogurts if you are not allergic. Just some other options to try out.

— Begin quote from “DizzyForLife?”

I’m slowly working through the Buchholz diet on my own. So far bananas and soy don’t seem to be a trigger for me since I have added them back, but regular yogurt has needed to stay out for me. Triggers are going to be unique to a degree, and some days you might be able to get away with something and not on others depending on how many other triggers you have going. It seems no matter what, yogurt destroys me so it must be a strong one for me. Bummer.

P.S. I agree, that soya stuff is gross! Supposedly there is almond-based yogurt (like the almond milk), though if nuts are a trigger for you that might not work so well. There is also coconut based yogurts if you are not allergic. Just some other options to try out.

— End quote

The So Delicious Coconut Yogurts are really good - highly recommended. And I believe coconut is okay for people sensitive nuts? I believe I read it was a fruit.

— Begin quote from “Gfresh404”

— End quote

The So Delicious Coconut Yogurts are really good - highly recommended. And I believe coconut is okay for people sensitive nuts? I believe I read it was a fruit.

— End quote

Yeah, it’s not a nut, though who knows, people might be sensitive for other reasons. Not sure. Do those yogurts really taste of coconut? I have never tried them myself, as I absolutely** hate** the flavor of coconut.

— Begin quote from “Gfresh404”

— End quote

— End quote

Yeah, it’s not a nut, though who knows, people might be sensitive for other reasons. Not sure. Do those yogurts really taste of coconut? I have never tried them myself, as I absolutely** hate** the flavor of coconut.

— End quote

No, you can’t really taste the coconut all that much imo

I haven’t risked bananana yet, or other tropical fruits. Milk has not been a problem . . . except that I may be getting lactose intolerant. I eat oodles of egg white, and I didn’t mean noodles.
I haven’t noticed a problem from soy, but I’ve stayed away from fermented soy products, meaning most asian cooking.

When I first met with Dr S and saw dairy on his list, I thought yeah, right, no way is dairy a trigger as I hadn’t read it anywhere else, and I’ve read A LOT about migraine diets. But in a desperate attempt to try anything, I gave up dairy (along with everything else on the migraine diet according to Dr S and the ‘Heal Your Headache’ book) and found dairy a MAJOR trigger for me. Go figure. I gave up eggs for a few months but added them back as they weren’t a trigger (thankfully as I was running out of things to eat). I’ve also added back tomatoes and onions. I’ve added back things one at a time and very slowly to see if I have a reaction. But I still avoid the major C’s - chocolate, chinese (MSG), caffeine, citrus, chianti (red wine), and lots of other things.

Eating out is hard as dairy is in everything and even cooking at home is tough, but adjustments are so worth it. I’ve lost quite a bit of weight, my skin has cleared up and, along with Topamax and Pregabalin, I feel much better. I’m even able to exercise again. Still can’t manage a computer for long or travel well, but life is much better. Not saying getting rid of dairy did all this (its mostly the drugs), but it did make a huge difference as I ate dairy every day in some form or another and, like I said, I must have been somewhat lactose intolerant or something as my skin was affected and I was bloated on dairy.

I don’t drink soy milk as I try to avoid soy products but love rice dream and coconut milk (Koko?). I also use Pure non dairy butter. Not the best tasting stuff, but it’s okay on toast.

I still avoid bananas but may add them back soon.

Just saying, never say never. Giving up dairy was hard, but the results were truly worth it. Dr S knows what he’s talking about.