So basically, at 24, this it the rest of my life, huh?

I didnā€™t read anywhere in your post where you mentioned any medications youā€™re taking. What medications have you been prescribed to take if any. Iā€™ve read an article that outlines various medications that should help you a lot.

Yes, I have a normal life on Celexa. Are you still dizzy? Or better now? Just seeing this message!

Thatā€™s awesome. Whatā€™s your dosage per day? Any side effects worth mentioning? Thank you, Liv

i take 25mg no side effects I have been on it since 2012, i had terrible side effects going on it, for 2 plus months but right about 3 months in much improvement and it continued I was 100% by 6 months. I tried to reduce it 2 years ago and had a relapse til i got the dose back up, and had to go through the side effects again. I gained about 30 pounds as a side effect which I am working on now. Better than being dizzy

Thatā€™s really interesting. Thank you for your input! I appreciate it a lot. Iā€™m very glad to hear youā€™re doing better - 100% wow!! Liv

Hey man, you probably wont read this as you havenā€™t posted in a while, but I just wanted to pop in and say your life will get better.

Iā€™m 27 years old, have had vertigo constantly since I was 22. When I first got it I was bedridden for 2 months straight, only getting up to stumble to the toilet. It never got better, I still have the same vertigo every day from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep. I also gets lots of headaches, brain fog & anxiety. The brain fog effects me the most, when I get it I feel like iā€™ve been spiked with drugs and iā€™m about to trip out.

After about a year of being constantly dizzy, dozens of tests and doctors and trying every vertigo drug without a cure I just said ā€˜Screw itā€™ and tried to get on with my life. Trips to the shops and being alone in public places was hard at first, but I just kept forcing myself to go into situations that made me feel dizzy and anxious and sick. It got easier and easier as the years went on.

Since I got vertigo, despite the world spinning around me all day every day, iā€™ve worked several jobs and now run my own internet business which is based out of Asia. I met my current partner, fell in love and we had a child together. Iā€™ve travelled to over 50 countries and done all kind of treks and sightseeing, and iā€™ve stayed healthy by working out and swimming, as I canā€™t run without stumbling around. Iā€™ve been skiing and done all kinds of sports, I do public speaking at my local university & I regularly go to business events to network for my company and do social things with my friends. I can even go to theme parks and ride all the roller-coasters. Overall iā€™m happy and I feel good about life.

It sucks being dizzy all the time, and sometimes I do get depressed and anxious, but I donā€™t let it ruin my life. Overall iā€™d say getting vertigo could have even been a good thing, it forced me to reevaluate myself, confront my fears and anxieties and made me focus on my career and health more than partying and living in the moment. If I never got vertigo and pushed myself to be more successful in my career I wouldnā€™t have met my partner and had a child with her. Thinking of my son always makes me feel grateful about life.

Itā€™s kind of like if you lost an arm. The first year would suck, but every year would get easier. By 10 years you probably wouldnā€™t even care anymore that you only had 1 arm. After 5 years with vertigo, when it gets super bad and my eyes start spinning and I feel completely detached from reality I donā€™t freak out anymore. I hardly get any anxiety no matter how dizzy and unbalanced I feel. I just sit down and read a book, play some video games or post on the internet, it just feels now like a normal thing to happen from time to time and doesnā€™t bother me. The brain fog doesnā€™t really bother me either now, the only thing that gets to me is the headaches but I can take pills for that if it gets really bad.

My advice is to stick with it, donā€™t give up and just take one day at a time. I felt the need to reply when I saw your post because the first year or two with this condition I felt just like you described, lost and hopeless, sometimes I even contemplated suicide. Just keep pushing yourself to do things even though you feel dizzy and anxious, if you keep doing this over and over again it slowly gets easier, I promise you.

This is a difficult condition to deal with, but you can learn to live with it, and you can have a full and productive life and do all kinds of enjoyable things. It will be very hard for a while, but even if you are like me and experience no improvement in your symptoms you can get to a place where your life is just as good as it was before you started feeling like this. I never got the slightest bit better physically, iā€™m still just as dizzy as the first day I got vertigo, but mentally and emotionally iā€™d say iā€™m even better than before.

Iā€™ve never posted here before, and probably wont check back for a while, but if you ever feel lost and hopeless just email me and tell me how youā€™re feeling and iā€™ll do my best to help you look on the bright side and see the silver lining: nathanw@tutanota.com

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find lots of support here too from all the people going through exactly what you are feeling.

Best of luck mate!

2 Likes

I agree entirely with this post. Thatā€™s the way I feel about it too. Congratulations on prevailing over this ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Nathan , you are exactly what i need to hear right now.
Ive given into it at the moment and feel depressed and suicidle.
Ive been strong and coped for years and years but im at the end of my teather now.
im gonna try to have a walk today even though the world is spinning ā€¦

1 Like