Service dogs

Hi has anyone used a service dog as a way to cope and to get around with vestibular migraines? Or can someone point me to information about the use of service dogs to help achieve a more normal lifestyle with this condition?? Many thanks…

What would the service dog do?

Like guide dogs for blind

I know what guide dogs can do, I just don’t see the application to MAV.

Service dogs work in variety of settings. Some work with folks who have vestibular conditions and assist with balance (for example, walking in public places) and can act to ‘ground’ someone who is having an episode…by this I mean providing a physical contact, like holding a person’s arm or the wall or a table to stop the world from spinning).

1 Like

That makes sense. Thank you.

You’re welcome!!

Just wanted to post this here because I didn’t know that there are migraine alert service dogs.

https://sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/what-is-a-migraine-alert-dog

What if you always exhibit symptoms?

Hey Em, dogs need a break too. You get two of them and load balance:P

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

Hmm, yeah, I don’t know. I think the dog would be there to help you with things like balance and bringing you things you need like the phone or whatever. Kind of to make your life a little easier I suppose? Especially if you live alone.

I don’t actually need a service dog so much as want one. That’s just me really liking dogs and fancying the chance to bring one everywhere.

1 Like

Haha I get it. I love dogs and it takes a lot for me not to pet a service dog. Always having one around would be nice. Probably help with anxiety too.

Not exactly what the original poster probably meant but …

Last night I am practising walking around and across our main living rooms with my eyes shut in a (possibly vain) hope doing so might lead to some reduction in my Visual Dependency. Our dog, a German Shepherd is watching me curiously from her dog bed. As I know my routes and that there are no trip hazards present I walk at my normal speed without hesitancy. As I have my back to the dog she has no idea my eyes are closed and continues to watch as I walk. As soon as I am walking towards her and she realises my eyes are closed she trots over and takes my hand in her mouth to lead me to safety. When I withdraw my hand because her actions are rather defeating the object of the exercise she insists on walking with me closely at Heel offering her back as a grab handle I assume in case of difficulty. And she refuses to stop doing this until her Missus opens her eyes, ‘stops all this nonsense’ as she sees it, and acts normally. Then she goes back to bed. It’s past 11.00pm and she doesn’t stay up late.

Typical Shepherd behaviour for into. Our previous one would meet callers to the house at the gate and lead them in, we have several entrances, to whichever was nearest to where we were at the time. She would walk just ahead and keep stopping to turn and make sure the caller was following. Others we have had would nudge with their nose if change of direction was necessary.

1 Like

Ha! My little floof just stands in the way until I either punt the little idiot or trip over her. Cute but too neurotic to be in any way helpful as a guide dog. I’m her emotional support human.

3 Likes

This is good! I was doing something similar, balancing on one foot wit eyes open for 30 seconds, then eyes closed. Then doing that on a pillow. Was terrible at first, but can do it quite well now. It’s worth it every day. My little black groodle puppy also wouldn’t be as compassionate as yours.

4 Likes

I love my Kiki, but she doesn’t know jack about migraines. If it’s not a treat or belly rub, you can forget it.

2 Likes

So adorable :heart_eyes: is it a he or she? your service dog?

It’s a she, Molly. No not a service dog, although I’m pretty sure I’m at her service! She is cute isn’t she

1 Like