Rocking

How can you stop the rocking with vm? What has helped anyone with this?

It’s horrid, the rocking sensation. It’s a sign the VM really has gone a bit hyper. I find it very wearing. Episodic MAV was difficult but chronic 24/7 rocking/spinning is so very much worse. I had it for over three years 24/7. Now I only get a bit intermittently when I’ve pushed it too hard and/or exposed it to too many triggers. Anxiety is one trigger that will realky wind it up instantly often. Meds - in my case Propranolol - has been the only thing I’ve found that would stop it and even then it took 8 or 9 months to start working. Prior to that it had taken a long time to reach a sufficiently high dose. Unfortunately MAV’s a hard nut to crack.

I would like to give you an answer but i am still rocking after many months. I am on effexor and it has helped some, but still there. If i am rocking very hardly, going for a walk or driving helps, or just let it be. The problem is that when i am around people/noise it can get very bad. :frowning:

Hi
Im also worse around noise and people when im having it bad…cant even stand anyone asking me a question!! Being a passenger in a car helps loads…but when it stops im back to square one!
Jo x

And @Jojo65

Not sure what this is about ‘worse around noise and people’, do you mean with plp moving around or passing through your peripheral vision, or standing talking to people, ie you meet someone you know in shop, or sitting around a table maybe turning yr head about to converse? And where does the noise come in. Just trying to understand the concept. Oh, don’t either of you get motion sick in a car particularly when MAV is bad. Helen

Spot on…you meet someone who wants to chat in a shop with other people moving around me or being noisy making me dizzy…i cant hold a conversation with them. This is bad days.
Jo x

1 Like

No i dont get motion sick and dizzy until the car stops and i get out…feel like ive been strapped to a waltzer
Jo x

yup, same, trying to look at their eyes makes me rock more. I dont get motion sickness, i actually would like to live in a moving train or boat :), i feel relief then.

I could well get on the train with you…i would be fine…then feel like im being pulled to the ground when i get off.
Jo x

maybe we can take a 20 year rocket to Mars? :slight_smile:

but i want to give some advise though. Some balance exercises help. Close your eyes standing with feet together, and increase difficulty standing on a pillow. I usually calm it a little bit with that. Lately i just sit down on a chair without reclining or supporting my back, eyes close - eyes open. It helps you feel the sensation and not panic about it.

Will try this. I automatically panic when I feel rocking as I know vm is at its worst.,it’s one of my worse symptoms as well as visual issues. Hate this shit!

1 Like

Do propanonal helped sum what?

yeah, it is pretty difficult. Do you feel better walking or moving? At least that way you can have a break.

Its finally stopping (mostly) for me. The right medication and time were primary factors for me. Then it came down to stress reduction, some VRT, and regular exercise. Eventually it will start subsiding… eventually

I still have off balance and occasional rocking, but definitely improved, it gets better every couple weeks I’d say

1 Like

No dnt feel no better moving coz then I feel
Off balance

What medication helped you?

That is motion sensitivity. Plp don’t always vomit en transit because they are habituated to car travel not because they don’t suffer from it. That’s me all over. One of the first breakthrough symptoms I got in the period between my MAV going from totally self contained episodic bouts to 24/7 chronic was the car would stop moving and I’d feel like I was still travelling forwards. Same walking, even indoors, and particularly if I stopped walking abruptly. Then GP said ‘that means there’s something wrong with yr balance, there’s nothing we can do about that’. At home we used to call him ‘Doctor There’s Nothing We Can Do about That’ because he seemed to say that about everything both to me and my husband. It seems like your balance system isn’t properly sychronised with movement. Suppose that’s probably what it is. Of course have to bear in mind you are - and I used to be - very dependant on our feet for balance, in vehicles their input must alter then suddenly we gave them terra firma again, must have an influence.

Visual vertigo. Brain not sorting relevant movements properly. Another theory I’ve come up with for all these seemingly strange things is it’s instinctive when dizzy/balance off to pick a point in front at a distance and walk towards it to reach our target. I think we do that without conscious thought mostly. We are giving our eyes an extra balancing tool that way and became increasing dependant upon it (I still am certainly). Remove that tool, block it with a face close up and Bam, dizziness. If MAV is bad turning your head eitherway to converse say sitting at table will do it. Always used to really get me that one. Helen

1 Like

Helen i cant even sit in a meeting at work and look from person to person as they speak…done it once and when i got up to leave the room i almost collapsed to the floor i was that disorientated!!! Im now excused from attending
Jo x

If you check out the vestibular.org website that’s listed as a common symptom for all vestibular conditions. They advise sitting at the head of the table! Guess you couldn’t walk a straight line turning your head left to right with each/alternative step either or can you sit up straight on an upright chair long periods without a head rest. These still get me although I never use headrest in the car and it’s no problem in the car about the only thing for me that’s better in the car. Bad MAV and a car journey would finish me for days. Even short car journey with bad MAV and a road with same things both sides, ie all houses or two hedges, that’s the Visual Vertigo thing. As for the ‘washing out’ event I’ve been that way for years. Always assumed it’s because I’ve looked up at the sky, no focal point on the horizon for feedback for balance. Your OT doctor thought it VI, could be restricting blood flow. Could be. Helen