Periactin Update!

Thanks everyone, I just hope I’m on the right road. Which I think I am. I will keep you posted either way.

Greg

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hey Vic,

As an aside, we’re trying to dump the word “generic” these days, especially in Australia. These days it’s “brand”. Just like there’s no generic car or generic beer … the term generic really puts people off thinking they’re getting something that is lower in quality (Aboriginal people definitely think this) yet it’s the same stuff. Having said that I was really sensitised to a different packing agent in a different brand of Citalopram. But then I’m a meds freak so probably doesn’t apply to most people.

S

— End quote

I have learnt something new today! Thanks Scott, I was not aware that the term ‘generic’ is on the way out. I will now just ask for ‘the cheapest brand’.

I know what you mean about the different packing agents, Halmagyi mentioned this to me when I switched from gel caps to tablets. Luckily, I don’t seem to be affected by those agents.

I am always surprised though by ‘regular people’ (non migraineurs) who still think that a product is ‘better’ because the advertisers say so. Here’s an example. I was in a supermarket recently with a smart, educated and thrifty friend. She went to buy Panadol and I asked her why she wasn’t getting the No Frills version, which is literally 20% of the cost. She genuinely thought Pandadol must be better and that it had extra stuff in it. I had to show her the ‘ingredients’ on both packs ‘500mg paracetamol’. No difference.

We’re running a “generics campaign” write now to kill this type of thinking and to save the Australian public some money. The campaign is all about discussing brands, knowing how to ID the active ingredients and save cash.

Do you guys think that placebo effect can play a role in brand names vs. generic?

Greg

Scott,

I just thought I’d give you a quick update on the Intramax. I know it’s kind of off subject from the MAV, but I’d thought I’d let you know anyway. I have a pretty bad case of acid reflux at times. Sometimes it’s so bad I cringe up and sweat for a few minutes. I know when I get it the worst when I eat taco bell or eat too fast. Well so far within 3 day’s on the Intramax, I haven’t gotten it at all while eating taco bell. Magnesium citrate would also take it away some, but never this well. So that’s one thing that I’ve noticed so far. Aside from that, it’s actually made me quite tired. Apparently it makes you tired when you’re first starting on it, but it say’s the tiredness should subside.

The next report I give you on the intramax will be MAV related as I would like to keep the posts I make on this forum related to what the forum is meant for. I really hope this stuff works in tune with the periactin. So far not bad for 3 day’s clearing up an acid reflux annoyance. :smiley: But it better have more than that in store, cause just fixing the acid reflux isn’t worth $90.00 a month. The acid reflux clears up if I eat healthy and exercise too.

Greg

One at a time Scott, I cant seem to do fish oils (tried several times). If you get side effects, you want to make sure which one it is, the magnesium or the fish oil :slight_smile:

Christine

On the fish oils topic–I take Coromega, which is in a gel form and it is really great. It’s orange flavored (I don’t have citrus tirggers) sweetened with stevia, so leaves a sweet after taste, but no fishy taste at all and it’s not a gel cap, but packaged in a way that you can put it in your pocket and take it with you to open and consume later at work or wherever you are. I was introduced to it a couple years ago, and I take it daily now. I highly recommend their product.

I wonder if this is different between OZ and the USA: I have been told by researchers that because vitamins are not considered drugs, their manufacturers are not monitored and their ingredients can vary a great deal from what their labels claim.

This was in a presentation at New York University on sleep. From my notes: melatonin at ~0.5 gm is enough to reestablish the circadian rhythm, but ~3 gm serves as a hypnotic. The latter strength, taken too late at night, may result in loginess the next morning.

I don’t want to take half of what’s supposed to be a 3 gm tablet and actually get less considerably than 0.5 gm or more than 3 gm.

The only advice the researcher could give was, “Buy them from a company that has something to lose.”

I too used to dismiss the difference between name brands and the alternative, but now I’m inclined to restrict this to prescription-only products.

Do you know of anywhere that non-prescription strength vitamins are independently tested?