Peanut butter seems to be a trigger!

Hi - Iā€™ve just joined this community. I spent most of 2013 with a constant headache, feeling dizzy and spaced out, and with a decline in my cognitive abilities, and a GP who didnā€™t understand how ill I felt and who told me heā€™d no idea what I meant by ā€œspaced outā€. I felt as if I was watching the world through someone elseā€™s eyes. I felt alone and fairly desperate. Then one weekend I had such a bad attack, feeling so desperately sick that I was unable to eat for several days and lost all energy for literally weeks. During the process I lost about 8 lbs in weight. Fortunately an internet search found me Dr Surenthiran who I saw privately and who diagnosed migraine related vertigo, prescribing Nortriptyline and giving me a list of foods to avoid. I gradually improved considerably and the relief of finding a doctor who understood how I felt and knew I was not exaggerating was immense. During my recovery I discovered that redbush tea was giving me headaches and added that to the list of banned substances! Then about 18 months ago I started to experience again bouts of dizziness, though none as bad as I had originally suffered. I have now realised that the recurrence is probably linked to my frequent consumption of peanut butter. I always buy 100% peanut butter, no added salt or oil, and had assumed that it was healthy. However, I can now link my attacks to days when I have had peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. An internet search has confirmed that it can be a trigger for some people. I hope this is of help to other sufferers who might not have realised the possible link. Itā€™s great to find a forum like this.

1 Like

Hi and welcome. Glad you like Us! Thanks for posting. Itā€™s good to share such info. Peanuts cause lots of people trouble with allergies too. Makes one wonder whether it was just the excess - you say you ate lots of it - that caused the hypersensitivity, or what. Of course nuts are off all the Migraine Diet sheets. Iā€™m no medic but assume itā€™s the ā€˜tyramineā€™ contained therein to be the problem. Pity really isnā€™t it. I read somewhere a consultant told one sufferer ā€˜make a list of all your very favourite foods and you cannot eat any of themā€™. Sounds about right, eh. Thanks again for sharing. Much appreciated. Helen

2 Likes

Peanut butter absolutely wrecks me! Iā€™ve noticed that if I have even so much as a spoonful Iā€™m down for the count.

2 Likes

This is one thing I miss terribly!

1 Like

Sounds like you are a strong candidate for a strict Migraine Diet. Bad Luck. Helen

1 Like

Oh yeahā€¦ one thing I immediately knew I had to do in tandem with medication was adjust my diet. Luckily not everything is a trigger, but PB most definitely is.

2 Likes