Pattern of attacks

My symptoms are 24/7 but i have increases of intensity 3 or 4 times a day, that last 2-3 hours each, for no apparent reason. My neurologist is looking into this but has anyone else experienced a similar pattern?

Iā€™ve read that vestibular migraine attacks can sometimes last from minutes to hours, rather than days. So i wonder if i am having several attacks a day on top of a baseline migraine. Or if one attack hasnā€™t fully ended before i then get another a few hours later.

1 Like

I didnā€™t recognise most of my attacks as migraine, Iā€™d describe them as ā€˜vestibular attacksā€™. But yeah for me they would last a shorter time - 2 to 3 hours sounds about right. Unfortunately the fallout/hangover could last 2 weeks.

I did get migraines for a phase, but they would last hours and hours and were truly shocking (I had to lie still and stare at a point on the wall for hours or Iā€™d throw up), my head would get very hot and Iā€™d have this throb at the back of my neck. Amitriptyline cut those short.

1 Like

Like @turnitaround, and as I donā€™t experience the headache, I refer to them as vertigo or vestibular attacks. In fact it was twelve years before it was suggested to me that they might be migraine associated. Mine always were very uniform in terms of when they started (always early in the morning, in bed or on waking) and how long they lasted (either 72 hours for many years then eight full days), but symptoms although they varied over years were generally consistent throughout each attack. Symptoms between acute attacks varied to an extent throughout the day depending on stimuli I suppose but didnā€™t follow any regular pattern.

I too had read the attacks last minutes to hours, rather than days. Unfortunately, in my case, it seems the attacks hadnā€™t been reading the same book, Helen

Yep. Iā€™m the exact same way: always dizzy, headachey and with tinnitus, but 3-4 times a day all of these symptoms escalate into full blown migraine attacks. Usually the attacks ā€œendā€ and I go back to baseline (baseline is still debilitating) after I have a meal, before slowly descending back into another attack.

1 Like

I am so glad to hear this because mine too last for days. Usually 4 to 5 with the severity decreasing each day. It didnā€™t seem to fit what the ā€œsymptomsā€ so good to hear someone else is experiencing it that way too!

1 Like

This seems to be how I am aswell

3 Likes

Hello and welcome. Well maybe we are exceptional, eh or may be not. Itā€™s always odd to read these generalised statements that are believed because they are in black n white and/or appear from a trusted source. But, we just prove variations do occur. Once or twice Iā€™ve read MAV/VM generally lasts up to 72 hours which mine did for about a decade. Iā€™ve one sister-in-law who gets classic migraine and hers last 4-5 days always and a friend whose only last hours never more than ten she says. Further variation still within. You say the severity of yours diminishes with each passing day. Mine donā€™t, they stay the same throughout and stop as suddenly as they start. Since preventative meds symptoms are less severe but still consistent within. The only sign I get they are getting ready to leave is the rear head pressure diminishes then I get my balance back and can get out of bed again. The variations are endless. Helen

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly like me, but i donā€™t notice any difference with meals. Have you tried eating smaller meals, more often? Hunger can trigger migraines, i wonder if you need to eat more often? I tried it but it didnā€™t make any difference to me.

My attacks seem to be at the same times every day, for no apparent reason. Like you, they settle back to ā€œbaselineā€ but even baseline is debilitating. So the symptoms are constant 24/7.

@jcmoose the official information out there about migraines and vestibular migraines is that they last up to 72 hours. My symptoms have always been 24/7, never had an episodic migraine in my life. So donā€™t believe everything you read in the literature, itā€™s not accurate.

1 Like

Symptoms of MAV are generally 24/7.

Attacks are intermittent and a significant escalation and often you are left with above normal symptoms for 2 weeks after a bad attack, but not every time.

I was dizzy and imbalanced with MAV for 3 years or so ā€¦ 24/7. Amitriptyline dealt with the dizziness, but the imbalance was there, no let up, constant.

My tinnitus is 24/7.

2 Likes

Could I edit that please to

All my, many, vertigo attacks despite escalation, have been very similar symptom-wise but before the MAV went to chronic 24/7 dizziness I was having entirely self contained acute attacks that lasted 72 hours and then stopped suddenly and completely with no symptoms at all until the next acute attack. Helen

Yes, I have tinnitus 24/7 as well but notice it increases tremendously during an attack. I literally feel like I canā€™t hear myself think during those times.

1 Like

Iā€™m was the same as you, now the increases of intensity is down to 1 or 2 a day. And yes, the attacks seem like they overlap to the point where you donā€™t really understand what is causing what. Sometimes light/sound sensitivity with increased dizziness, sometimes with decreased dizziness, sometimes head pressure with slight dizziness, sometimes no head pressure with dizzinessā€¦ Itā€™s somewhat difficult to talk to my Neurologist about it really, I was using MigraineBuddy app for a while but gave up because the symptoms change so quick and overlap that I canā€™t tell when an ā€œattackā€ has started or ended. Of course, Iā€™m getting much better these days, but itā€™s still hanging on.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what itā€™s like for me too, sometimes tons of dizziness but no head pressure, sometimes lots of headache but not much dizziness etc etc. The varying pattern of symptoms changes day to day but apparently thatā€™s very common with migraine. I tried a migraine app but it was useless, because they are created for episodic migraine with clear cut attacks with a start and end. I have a paper migraine diary where i write down the times of increase each day, the severity, what meds i took, and where in my menstrual cycle I am. My neurologist said it was great and i should keep doing it. Itā€™s one i printed from The National Migraine Centre website.

2 Likes

I have it 24/7 and then get bad attacks where dizziness get worse it seems every couple months (had a bad nausea attack in the Fall which I donā€™t think I had in years) and Iā€™ve learned to get my blood levels checked as one time my sodium was low and I think another time vitamin c was but usually it just passes on itā€™s own and takes a couple days or more.