The Vestibular Migraine Community

Oh oh. Bingo. This is huge! Hydrops found in people diagnosed with MAV/VM

If you were ever confused what was causing your symptoms, here’s another piece of the puzzle (thanks to @GetBetter for finding this)

Makes me cross this was published 4 years ago yet some doctors are still telling us this is a migraine condition!

“Endolymphatic hydrops in patients with vestibular migraine and auditory symptoms”

http://www.mvertigo.org/uploads/default/original/1X/d3cd2c02591e423fe76e00b7e579675cbaae4c8f.pdf

This was my recent thread on the topic. Seems like I was really onto something afterall:

Question
Personal experience regarding increasing Amitriptyline to 20 mg
Help! Any advice on how to get over fear of starting new meds?
New member: What's wrong with me?
Western vs Eastern Medicine
Attacks or a constant feeling
So I met up with a new doctor

Oh my, I hav’nt read all of the article yet…but enough to see that this could be the start of something definite in the way of diagnosis and treatment in the future!! Thanks to @GetBetter and you, James, for sharing. Seems to me that it’s time to stop with the ‘band-aid’/masking drugs and try to heal the cause. Sincerely hope this brings help to a lot of people.

Yes, I think this will have many effects. For example, will help people realise that PLF may NOT be so rare as many have wrongly assumed (as these are a leading cause of ELH aside from Menieres)

Also visualisation and accurate diagnosis of Hydrops using this technique may help identify new therapies.

Hang in there people!

I was reading this blog

And i came across this statement
"Systemic isoproterenol (b-adrenergic agonist) increased endolymph pressure and decreased the potential of the endolymphatic sac lumen, while not affecting CSF pressure. "

Did a wikipedia and came across the following

a)Guess what Beta-blockers can block activation of all types of β-adrenergic receptors. (propranolol)
b)Epinephrine and norepinephrine can also work on adrenergic receptors. SNRI meds work on the Epinephrine and norepinephrine pump. (Amitriptyline, Effexor, Nortriptyline)
c)Acetazolamide,a potent carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, can decrease Endolymphatic Sac direct current potential on cochlear hydrostatic pressure.

In a way the migraine meds can work for SEH !!

Very interesting!

Care to speculate on what that might be doing exactly?

So we are saying that blocking b-adrenergic receptors might reduce Endolymphatic pressure?

Why are none of these drug effects written up explicitly in the scientific papers around Hydrops?

Systemic isoproterenol (b-adrenergic agonist) increased endolymph pressure is what the paper says.

The adrenergic receptors (or adrenoceptors) are a class of G protein-coupled receptors that are targets of the catecholamines, especially norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and epinephrine (adrenaline).

SNRIs can directly work on norepinephrine.

Again i am going with Wikipedia. Understanding how a drug works is surely complex, this is gross simplification.

I think you are right about propranolol.

If that’s the case then does propranolol not help resolve hydrops?