NSAID for stopping a dizzy attack?

Hi Angela,

I tried taking one aleve 2 days ago and it wrecked my tummy…so no more of that. My neurologist recommended 2 regular aleve in am & 2 in pm. I believe the tablets are 220mg each. I always start low with medicines bc I am so sensitive. I didn’t feel any better dizzy wise after the aleve. Yesterday I went to see my ENT dr bc I have had a stuffy nose from all the blooming trees. He put me back on flonase, which I started yesterday. He said that sinus congestion can cause dizziness and migraine…and migraine can cause sinus swelling. So I think I will stick with the flonase for awhile. I also am curious if it has helped me in the past w dizziness bc I was taking it this winter during a time when I was under incredible stress, way off my anti trigger diet and not sleeping enough. Curiously I had less dizziness then, almost none… and I was surprised. I wonder!!! My ENT also checked my left ear bc I have a full feeling in it with pain if pressing around my ear or on the flat part near the opening. He thinks I have TMJ and said it could cause migraines too. I wonder if my migraines trigger TMJ as well bc I get pain and stiffness in my neck and left shoulder whenever I have an attack…and the the ear starts up. I get more of that than actual head pain. I also have scoliosis with a slight raised left shoulder and my trapezoids on that side are constantly stiff. That could do it too.

Back to the nsaids. As suggested by the ENT, I took a 200mg ibuprofen every 6 hours yesterday (which was only twice, as it was afternoon when I started.) When I got up this AM I was a lil less dizzy but my blood pressure is still low in the AM bc of getting used to starting the nadolol again. So I am not sure what’s the real cause as of now. However, when I close my eyes while standing, I do not feel like I am falling backwards as much as two days ago. I seem to have a more floating feeling in my head, which is different from how I felt before. My dizziness can range from actual head bobbing and a rocking on a boat feeling ( a few days ago, I think the nadolol helps a lot with that. It got rid of it when I was on it before, unless I was triggered hard…like from dental implants, etc) to a milder feeling of disequilibrium. I never feel like I am spinning…just rocking. So, I took 2 of the 200mg ibuprofen this am to see if that would make any difference. So far, I am still feeling floatey…haven’t gone outside yet or on the stairs. Will find out later.

As you mentioned in the depakote post, it might be a good idea to try a different blood pressure medicine. I have never heard of the beta blocker you take, have no idea if it is used for migraines. i know that Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker that is successfully used by a lot of people, sometimes in combo w another medicine. Nadolol is also used, but maybe less often. i personally had success with nadolol for 3 1/2 years. I was put on it bc the two big things i get w migraine attacks are tachycardia (as bad as non-stop160 bpm lying down…whoa!) and dizziness. the first year or so, I took 10 mg in the am and 400mg of magnesium glycinate in the pm (most of the time). That worked really well till I was being triggered a lot more by several things and then upped the dose to 10 mg nadolol twice a day (am & pm), no more magnesium. That has been what I was on for the past 2 1/2 years till I had a problem w my blood pressure going too low (I think from an interaction w lidocaine, but drs aren’t convinced) and was taken off the nadolol cold turkey by a neurologist I will never go to again! I had severe withdrawls and had to start up again after 5 days off. Now I am on day 9 of 10mg nadolol and experiencing the side effects from start up. Hoping my blood pressure will come up a bit more and the tiredness will go away (it did before). However the drs said I should not take more than 10mg. They think 20 is too much for me as I had low bp to begin with. I am just trying to stick it out for a few more days bc the nadolol did work so well before. I’d say I was 90% most of the time. I am also concerned that a different medicine may not control the tachy. Although i have recently heard that magnesium can help with that. Interesting that it helps w migraines too. Once this crazy low bp gets better i will try taking the magnesium again…I hear that it can lower bp a bit. If this dosen’t work my dr wants me to try adding in 12.5 mg zoloft. Keeping my fingers crossed!

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)