The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Nice scientific study on supplements)

FYI I started on that already, so if anyone has questions about how this is going (in a month or two) you can ask here… so far no side effects

Along your Glycine comment… forgot to mention that Magnesium Glycinate is a good form to take because it combines the Glycine and Magnesium together. I buy it bulk and drink it although it tastes a bit funny.

They have magnesium in liquid form?

You can mix Magnesium Glycinate powder in water. Or, you can make Magnesium Bicarbonate water:

Both are excellent forms to get magnesium. I also like Epsom Salt baths and a magnesium topical spray.

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

I have a membership at a sensory deprivation float chamber. It’s a giant vat of body temperature water with 950# of Epsom salt. Very nice, particularly for those hypersensitive days. I’ve arrested migraines in there. Though it helps to have a vestibular suppressant.

I will be interested to hear how the Butterbur goes…have not really heard about it nor seen it on our local shelves. Off to do a bit of research!
I find Feverfew helps when head pressure starts turning to headache (I am actually a long time Meniere’s sufferer, seldom having headaches) I also take Ginko, magnesium, vit B com. and have just started on CoQ10.

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

Don’t use butterbur directly. It’s a liver toxin. Instead, use Petadolex if you can get it. That’s a standardized version of the butterbur without the toxin. I’ve been using it to great effect for two years. The same company, Linpharma, also makes Dolovent. That’s a migraine specific vitamin supplement with clinical trial levels of the major vitamins. I use both. I order them online directly from Linpharma but Amazon carries them, too.

Petadolex Petadolex (UK link)
More recommended supplements here.

Thank you, Emily. Did a bit of research and find it is most specifically for Migraine - my problem is actually Meniere’s, although I have graciously been allowed to remain in this group as most symptoms are the same.

We wobbly types need to stick together!

Couldn’t find what dose of CoQ10 it recommends? I tried 400 then 300 spread out for what felt like a month and stopped and it maybe helped a little but tried it again and seemed to worsen dizziness

Same thing happened with B12 at around 500-1500 mg

I take 100mg, 3 times daily as recommended by my Neurologist. I use the bioavailable form Ubiquinol, which I heard makes a difference, but who knows. None of the supplements have an immediate benefit, sometimes they even made me feel worse at the start, just like you say. But over the course of several months it is clear that they help. I had to start first by getting used to just one per day, then when I was used to that, go to two, and so on.

What mg of ginkgo do you take and when during the day and with food? Thanks!

What dosage do you take and did you start at that? The kind I got is expensive but says 150mg daily (got it at whole foods so there should be no msg in it hopefully). I read on our forum that it can take up to 2 months to show results. I took it once today and feel a little dizzier so we’ll see how long I keep at it (may not)

150 mg. It’s spendy, but I’ve found it worth it.

Hi

Can I ask what you take Gingko for? Just interested to know. I took it a while years before MAV. Cannot remember why now I decided to try it in the first place. I stopped because it seemed to give me headaches, just ordinary headaches, not migraine. Seeing it mentioned here reminded me of it. I checked out Wiki on the internet and found its additional side effects can include: “gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, heart palpitations, restlessness” - the first six of which remind me of an acute MAV attack. Obviously not everyone gets side effects at all, and you must feel it helps you. I can’t think for the life of me why I embarked on it briefly at all. Helen

Yeah unsure it’s worth it if it gives me dizziness as I’m already trying to finish a dissertation asap. What time of day do you take it? I can try it again tonight to see if the dizziness is too annoying

And with your Keto diet, have you found you’re gaining fat from eating a higher ratio of fat?

No, I lose fat but retain muscle. And all my metabolic blood markers have dramatically improved including lipids, triglycerides, cholesterol, insulin and glucose. But, the carbs must remain low. There’s a lot of science behind it.

I take Petadolex and Dolovent in the morning and evening.

So you take 75 mg of Pentadolix in the morning and 75 in the evening and do you take them with meals? I already take vitamin B two and magnesium and Coq 10 did nothing for me and if I recall dolovent are those three things so I’m not taking that

Yes, I take them in those dosages and with meals. Dolovent is formulated to match clinical migraine trial dosages of the various components. I ditched five bottles of the individual compounds for just the one.

It takes a good 2-3 months to see benefits.