Next medicine?

I have been on Propranolol for about a month now, started at 10mg a night and gradually increasing my dose. For the first few weeks, I was doing pretty well… but I knew the dose wasn’t strong enough because I was still dizzy. I experienced the usual S/e’s such as tiredness, difficulty falling asleep. But to me, that was better than having a constant migraine. As soon as I hit 40mg, I started experiencing really strange side effects — particularly hallucinations!!! It was really scary! My doctor was out of town all this week, so I halfed my 40mg dose and that seemed to make the hallucinations/sleep troubles go away. Side note: I have no idea how people take “substances” recreationally to reproduce such feelings cos WOW they are so scary and weird.

I am going back to my GP tomorrow because even the pharmacist said that if I’m having these issues, I need to switch medicines. I’m wondering if she’ll put me on another beta blocker, or if we’ll go to another category entirely? As weird of a question as this is, was wondering if anyone has any drug recs? I know that different medicines work for different people, but I’m still curious. I’ve also tried Topamax before, last year but had to get off because it was giving me brain fog and making me feel very stupid.

I am just so worried/paranoid because I am getting married next Friday and the last thing I need is to be on some new medicine that makes me feel like crap!

I would say if you can manage on the reduced dose of propranolol and the GP is OK with it I would not change meds until after your wedding - there’s enough going on without throwing a new med into the mix

at least with the"staus quo" you will know where you are

good luck!

If you want to go the beta blocker route you can try Nadolol (that is what I am on) ENT had originally put me on propanolol, but nuero switched me saying it has fewer side effects. Or there is metoprolol/Toprol. I already had a slow resting heart rate, so I have not had any fatigue or been overly tired on the Nadolol. I take that in addition to amitriptyline. When I started the ami, I initially felt worse, but in the long run it has helped me. But…like lorcalon said, you might want to wait until after your wedding…