The Vestibular Migraine Community
Please read our welcome post!

New member posting for help, relief and answers

I am not qualified yet, I wish I was. I was going to do a lot of prep then do a programming bootcamp.
I’m currently on umemployment which runs out in March. I did see the free trainings for the state, but I’ll look them over again since I know more so which languages I’d like to learn now.

My question is, how do I look for jobs that are telecommuting within my current field?

The recruiter I obtained my previous job with said my resume looked good, but I ran it through a Monster resume checker and it said it’s 55/100, so it’s not that great. I’ll look into a resume builder within the state then since the Monster resume professionally done is $150 to start and $219 for a resume and cover letter.

There is a lot of information online about creating a resume. I don’t think you need to pay anyone. And that’s another idea, to contact some recruiters and speak to them by phone. You can ask them for advice on how to improve your resume, as well as advice on what sorts of jobs are out there and what the possibilities are for remote jobs.

Create at least two resumes - one that is the more traditional “chronological” resume, and then a second resume that is a “functional” resume. (Do a search on the two and you’ll find a lot of information and examples.) Then if you’re applying for a job that is a little different from your previous jobs, the functional resume might be the better one to send.

Search all of the job boards - Indeed, Dice, Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. I think all of them probably have searches you can do for “remote” jobs, which seems to be the term most commonly used for telecommuting.

You’d want to speak to recruiters who specialize in the field you’re in (such as purchasing or logistics). The recruiter might be located anywhere in the country, since their placements are all done by phone. One way to find some recruiters to talk to is to look in the job listings; you can usually tell when it’s a recruiter who has posted the job. Then just look up their company online and call them and ask to speak to a recruiter who specializes in that field.

For short-term, temporary work, look for “phone” jobs. In the past week I’ve received two phone calls for political surveys. Another possibility would be customer service calls - a lot of those jobs can be done from home.

Thank you very much for all this information. I’ll look into and apply it. Thank you for stating all of this-- it was very informative!

As an update,
I’m on the 6th day of CoQ10 100 mg and I’ve been having a headache every day and it’s usually after taking the pill. A pain starts in my right eye too, that pain has stopped but it’s headaches every day and gets worse by night. I think I’m going to stop it since I’ve been much more wobbly/offbalance since on it. Could I just not be jiving with the coq? I see one of the side effects is headache, but I feel my vision dithers sometimes. I haven’t tried feverfew but the coq isn’t giving very good results since I’ve been more off kilter / headachey.

Does anyone have any advice/experience about the supplements?

I want to call my neurologist and ask about the prescription meds. I want to discuss why he chose propanolol for headaches and Effexor for dizziness and how he feels about amitriptyline.

I have been taking magnesium glycinate for about a month. I don’t know if it’s helping(probably not) but I have loose stools from it but I will keep taking it. I’m sorry that I can’t tell you anything about propanolol and effexor because I haven’t taken those. My first med was nort which I don’t even think the neurologist knew that nort is one of the first meds that docs like to prescribe for this type of condition. I just told him I can’t sleep at night because I had anxiety and stress and he said he will give me something for sleep. I couldn’t take nort more than once because it gave me insomnia. I asked for the sister drug ami and have been sleeping well since. I believe ami has somewhat reduced pressured on my head but i don’t think it has done anything to improve my balance(mild swaying, rocking, tilting). I was only at 15mg for like 2 weeks or so before I had to be off the med for few days because of the test i have received this past saturday. I took just 10mg last night and slept good. I would try out nort/ami first and see if those help.

@Space_Cadet, I don’t know whether that would be from the CoQ10 but you could try stopping it for a few days or even a week, then start by taking it once every three days. That might give you a clue whether the headaches are related to the CoQ10 or whether it’s just coincidence.

Thanks for your story. Yeah, the magnesium pill gave me vertigo. I called my neurologist about the medicine. He has to call me back.

Thanks. I’m going to look into the state helping out with my resume and the free unemployment state training for programming. I just need to look on the page to see if what I want is available for free.
As for the CoQ, some of my symptoms got worse with it I’ve noticed. It said a side effect is headache and I’ve never had that pain in the eye feeling previous to this.
I’ll see how I’ll feel in a week. I still want to look into the prescription medicine.
I need to get off my butt too and go for walks. It’s freezing cold out, what do you do when it’s so cold out? Walk on a treadmill or outdoors?

I live in Alaska and it can get down 0 degrees and I still walk outside :slight_smile:

I’m in Southwest Florida, where it was 80 degrees today. :sunny: It’s rare for us to ever need long sleeves; we can wear shorts almost every day of the year here. :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m not jealous.

Hi, I’m jealous.

CoQ10 is pretty harmless and rarely people see any effects positive or negative. My money is on your underlying condition that is acting up and the CoQ10 is not tampering with it. Infact most of the mag + coq10 + vitamin b2 you will see reduction in migraine only after 6 weeks to 3 months.

Ha, ha! Yes, we are both currently job hunting and are trying hard to stay here. Now that we’ve had a few years of this weather, we don’t want to ever shovel snow again. (My husband lived in Rochester, NY, for many years and he’s shoveled more than his fair share.) The summers here are a drag because of the relentless humidity combined with temperatures in the low 90s for about five straight months, but the winters make it worth it.

Wow, I’m so glad I came across this website. Unfortunately, these symptoms sound all too familiar…my neurologist thinks I have MAV, but I was unconvinced. I am 29 years old, and used to have actual migraines occasionally, including visual auras, but now the vertigo seems to be kicking in. I also have TMJ pain, which always seems to exacerbate the dizziness. Some days are better than others, but the dizziness usually subsides by the evening. Mornings are worse and I feel so groggy. I am curious about the impact magnesium has on everyone in this thread. I may try it, and perhaps I’ll start up the nortryptaline I was prescribed to see if that helps. From my own experience, anything to relieve stress helps, including yoga, deep breathing, and massages. The symptoms will get worse from anxiety, and since the symptoms tend to make me more anxious, it’s just an vicious cycle.

As an update, stopped CoQ 2 days ago, as of today, less symptoms acting up. Less imbalance = not much imbalance during the day like I was getting when on the CoQ. Less headache pains as well compared to when I was trying the CoQ. Also haven’t had the eye pain behind my right eye as well. But as I write this now (1:40am) I got a random 10 second ringing in my right ear (good ear) and inner ear fullness (a storm is coming in) and I also ate a very late dinner.
But it feels to have both cleared up after about 5 mins.
Also, I wanted to add-- I was cooking tonight and being near the hood fan for my stove and it’s loud-- I was able to listen to it for a good 5 mins or so, but then the dizziness started. If I covered my ears the dizziness would subside. It just confirms more so that this is an ear issue.

Just like some people don’t get on with some meds, same with supplements. Magnesium via pill gave me full vertigo. I also noticed I felt a bit better today and it’s been 2 days off CoQ now. I was possibly getting the side effect of dizziness and headache from coq.

Ah, yes, Rochester haha. Lots of snow. The recruiter from my previous job lives there and has told me about his snow fiasco haha. Enjoy Florida for as long as you can. I stopped the CoQ and noticed much less imbalance today and it’s the 2nd day off it. And also much less of the random migraine/headache pains.
I’m trying to make a trip to Canada in the next couple days for a couple days. A good 6 hour drive.

Sorry to hear you have MAV! Let me know how your progress with the magnesium goes and your progress altogether! I like to feel connected here.

Interesting. Stay off it at least until after your trip to Canada, maybe longer. Then if you do ever decide to try it again, try it for just one day and then wait several days to see what happens.

I think I said this before about magnesium making someone more dizzy (was that you?) - if the supplements can affect dizziness, then they can probably affect it in either a positive or a negative way. Maybe you just happen to be one of the people who are affected in the negative way.

And because I’ve read that New England’s going to get hit by winter storms over the next few days, I thought you’d like to know that we had to turn on the air conditioner again down here because it’s been so warm. :slight_smile:

Will do and yeah, the magnesium pill made me have extreme vertigo. It was horrendous! I was driving at the time too to level things out and even then it felt like the car was going to flip. I had to tell myself my car was level with the ground multiple times and this feeling will pass. It was late at night on a desolate highway. The feeling of the extreme vertigo lasted 10-15 mins or so. That night was a 3 and a half hour drive with a nauseous feeling for about 2 and a half - 3 hours. It was bad!
Unfortunately I have a very sensitive brain now :frowning:
Still waiting for a call back from my neurologist and it’s been about 4 days since I called the office to ask for him to call me back or discuss the prescription medicine avenue.

Haha you’re the worst! It’s getting so frigid here! Saw some brief flakes here today already. I’m sure the drive up to Canada will be interesting. I’ll continually check in.

Space _cadet, cervical x-ray can rule out cervical rib elongated C7 transverse process

An Update.

I stopped the CoQ like I said on about Dec 19, 2017. I started to get back to my baseline of some imbalance at night and some tension headaches. I drove upto Canada on Dec 23, 2017. It was an 8 hour drive, was supposed to be 6 hours but the snowstorm was immense, but I made it. I wasn’t feeling symptomatic at all. I noticed by Christmas Eve Dec 24, 2017 I got only 1 cluster headache during the day and after that I didn’t get anymore since then. I was actually able to walk around in complete darkness without stumbling too and no sense of unstableness. I felt free and felt good. I even helped my cousin shovel his long driveway on Christmas Day. For about 2 weeks since driving back home I had no tension headaches at all and no imbalance (besides 2 nights cause I was pushing my brain all day for 2 days), and no tinnitus!!!
I was symptom free for 2 weeks!! I felt like I partially had my life back and I could work a regular job.

THEN! January 5th, 2018 I had an eye appt and they wanted to dilate my eyes. I knew right away this may cause issues, especially due to sensitivity to medicines, and it did, they even used the smallest dose possible. I’ve been having tension headaches again every day and some slight imbalance towards the evenings. It was really bad the first 2-3 days. I actually went for a 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive the day it occurred cause I felt very nauseous (thought I was going to vomit) after they did it and I kept feeling the whooshing back and forth feeling. I had some hope… I would like to get better again back to how I felt for those 2 weeks and better. I don’t want to pull the trigger on trying any prescription meds yet, cause I saw how I was for those 2 weeks with only vitamin B2 400 mg a day and I felt supreme.
My birthday just passed too in the beginning of January. I’m 32 years old now.

I’m still unemployed on unemployment searching for jobs and still living alone with no girlfriend in sight. It’s always me just trying to take care of myself. Immediate family doesn’t want to hear about my symptoms either, so I feel this board is the only place I have for ears and words of helpful advice or even just being there to empathize sincerely. I’m glad this forum exists and that you people are so supportive. Thanks again.

Wow. So for those two weeks, you were on Vitamin B2 but no other drugs or supplements? What about your diet? Had you been avoiding any particular foods or drinks? You felt good while you were out of town, then still felt good after you returned home. Were you doing anything different after you returned home from what you would have normally been doing?

I’m just trying to see whether you can figure out anything that you might have done that could have caused the 2-week “good spell.”

Try not to worry about not having a girlfriend. I know it’s hard but I was single and lived alone until I was 47 years old. During that time I got involved in groups and activities, volunteered, and made a bunch of friends that I did things with. I gave the whole Internet dating thing a good try (back when it was new). I finally gave that up after I started catching myself during bad dates (and almost all of them were bad dates) wishing that I was home alone doing anything besides being on the bad date. :slight_smile: I ended up learning to be comfortable with myself and able to entertain myself when I needed to. I still remember the first couple of times that I went to a movie by myself. I felt really weird about that. Then, after I had done it a few times, I realized that sometimes I preferred to go to certain movies alone because then I didn’t have to be worried about whether the other person was enjoying the movie, didn’t have to put up with someone trying to whisper things to me during the movie, etc. And I also noticed that no one cared if I was at a movie by myself, and that there were actually other people there by themselves, too.

My apologies for the delay in response.

I was not doing anything different, not even exercising. I was just abiding strictly to my migraine diet that I’ve uploaded before. My sleep schedule was smoother too, up at 10 am, sleep by 2ish. I did have one slight discomfort incident on New Year’s Eve at a buddy’s house because of the very bright LED’s in his house, but I just went off to a bit of a dimmer room and he then turned down the LEDs in the other room to help me. Nice guy!

I take the Vitamin B2 400mg every morning.
I don’t drink any fruit juices, soda or coffee!!
I try to avoid florescent lights at all costs too to keep the migraine rumbles minimal.
I still watch tv for a period of the day and play video games for prob 3-4 hours. I noticed if prolonged on the video games then I start to get a bit imbalance.
As noted the heavy induced 2 days of pushing my brain (video games) made me imbalanced even when I was feeling really good.
I have not had any alcohol since Aug 2017. I use one headphone (in-ear bud) in my good ear for video games all the time for chatting with friends/family on the Xbox, but I always kind of keep it slightly not fully pushed in so pressure isn’t created in the ear. Going for car rides almost every other day to get out of the house and to visit my parents and dog.
I had still been eating junk food (McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s). American cheese burger with no pickles and no onions, and small fry. Kicks up the tinnitus a bit I’ve noticed (sodium hell) and slight inner ear pressure on my left ear. Day to day I eat cereal, (Frosted Mini Wheats and Honey Nut Cheerios), and the junk food, and when not the junk food I’m making turkey burgers from ground turkey into patties, sometimes with curry spice added and sometimes plain. I’ll cut up a tomato and add that. I’ll eat it with potato bread but I’ve been reducing the bread intake so I can trim my gut a bit more. (It’s helping, I’m down about 22-23 lbs since August). Yes, that’s without exercise and just better food choices or well, McDonald’s isn’t really better food choices but still, I’m trimming lol. I eat apples before bed or if I don’t want to eat cereal or oatmeal or having to make a meal. I also eat green beans, broccoli and sweet potato with my dinner when I end up cooking the turkey patties. For dessert I have vanilla ice cream in a wafer cone which is tasty. Oh! and I drink LOTS of water. I usually consume 100+ ounces of water a day. I wasn’t doing much else different then and I was feeling great. I showered every day too! My bestfriend thinks my brain / ear was simply healing.

Unfortunately, I’m back to skipping showers again some days. Tension headaches kick up and my tinnitus has leveled up some too. The weather has been all over the place too which hasn’t helped the situation. I haven’t had McDonald’s in a week or so now too cause I’m trying to reduce the sodium intake.
However, on a somewhat bright side, I found a recipe for cheesecake with limited ingredients that I know I can consume (one is questionable - vanilla extract even though it’s in ice cream I consume), and an apple pie recipe which I know I can have as well. I plan on making the cheesecake today and sharing it with my favorite brother.

My cousin in Canada had a nice atmosphere at his place, no noise and very zen feel, even with the Himalayan salt lamp in some rooms. I’m currently purchasing 4 Himalayan salt lamps and hoping that might help with the situation some even if for the zen feel.

Yesterday I had the migraine rumbles from florescent lights at the doctor’s office and then the grocery store for a prolonged period looking for ingredients and the after effects I can only explain feel as if you have the flu (clammy, sweaty, lethargic and headache). So, as of today, I’m looking into tinted glasses specifically due to florescent lights. TheraSpecs is the company I’m looking into. I’ll give them a chance and see how that goes.

To acknowledge your point on dating… ahh, that grief haha. I’m perfectly content going places myself. I do it a lot, mostly restaurants.
I specifically miss the affection, hand holding, someone to reminisce with and adventures to share together.
It just seems that much harder doing everything yourself with no support. Worrying about a place to live by yourself, no other form of income coming in from a significant other, no support if you fall or get hurt. I understand by reading some testimonials from people here that some spouses are not truly supportive and some even kind of even question it at all. But, those are my concerns I’ve listed. I appreciate you sharing your sentiments!
Fun fact - Last movie I went to by myself was Bourne.

I’m down 25lb as well but I’m starting to think i’m malnourished. I’m a 5’6 dood that use to weigh 145lb before all of this and i’m down to 120lb.