The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

New member posting for help, relief and answers

My personal rule is “one week.” For me most things (colds, injuries, etc.) resolve in a week. I usually try to wait and if I’m not better in a week, then I’ll go to the doctor.

If I remember correctly, the last time you were put on Cipro, which is a very powerful drug. Most antibiotics aren’t like Cipro, so I don’t think you should be too afraid. But if whatever you have is virus-related, antibiotics aren’t going to do any good anyway.

I’m glad you are liking the job! That’s good news!

Thanks, Anna.
Yeah, I’m reading one week-- I just dont want to sludge through work for a week feeling like a trash can. They also don’t want workers at work if they’re sick. Doesn’t look good that I’m taking days off already since I was out today to rest, fluids, gargle salt.

Yeah, my doctor just throws meds at things. He doesn’t even swab to check if it’s viral or bacterial, just auto-assumes bacterial-- could partially be why I started to adapt MAV? Not sure, but with the resistances of antibiotics now a days it sure isn’t helpful. I was wondering if anyone had anything less powerful that’ll still kick whatever it is in case it’s bacterial, unless my body can indeed fight the bacteria infection which would be nice.
Yeah, viral = no meds body will fight. Hoping it’s the same for bacterial. I just bought an air purifier too for my room since I’ve been meaning to get one for the past 3 years… Hope it helps towards feeling better.

Woke up this morning with blood in my phlegm and yellow on my tonsils. Need to get my throat swabbed. I’m praying I don’t have to use antibiotic because I’m sensitive to many meds.
Still praying it’s just viral and my body can fight it itself.

@Manatee Anna, how’s azithromycin? I can’t have the penicillin family.

The antibiotic that they choose will depend on what type of bacteria they find. Not all antibiotics work against all types of bacteria. So it sounds like you’ve got a trip to an urgent care facility in your near future. :slightly_frowning_face:

I just visited earlier… cleared for no strep :pray:
However, it’s allergies kicking my butt.
Anyone take Clairitin and been okay or even Flonase? I don’t recall the last time I took an antihistimine prior to the VM condition settling in.

I take Claritin when my allergies are acting up and am ok with it. Flonase seems to make me dizzy sometimes.

Thank you for the input!!
Do you cut the Claritin in half at all or just a full tab?

I take the 12 hour reditabs which dissolve in your mouth.

Well, that’s good news!

Yeah, still sore throat, but I’ve been nasal cleanses, salt water gargle, and honey in water.

However, I’m freaking itchy! Breaking out in rashes too. I think I’m going to try the Claritin, except crush it and hope I can pull just a little but that’s worth maybe 2-3 mg and cross my fingers that I’ll be fine where I can take a full tab and be okay. I feel like my body is fighting itself.

Bad move on trying the Claritin. I’ll update in the morning.
Hoping I don’t lose any compensation from this.

Last night 5/27/2018:
Took the crushed Claritin 24 hour (probably 2-3 mg worth) at 745pm and within 5 minutes I was feeling some off symptoms. After about 20-25 mins I started to get really off. (motion sensitive and nervousness feeling). My throat started to tighten, face started to hurt in my sinuses of my cheekbones, my chin and jaw/left partial of my face went numb. I was light headed too. My eyes became drowsy. Headache, heart racing. Felt like I was going to puke too and stomach pains as if I had to use the bathroom.
An hour in my right hand went numb/tingly and numb as if I couldn’t move it. It kept doing that intermittently every 15-20 mins or so. Then it did it to my left foot. My hands and feet went ice cold a good 30-45 mins in. That resided about 30-45 mins later. I was back home about 11:30 PM and still felt off-kilter, with my left ear about half full of inner ear fullness, less nervous, but had the sinking feeling when I walked sometimes, light sensitivity so I immediately laid down to start resting and noticed my tinnitus was high in both ears. Woke up again at 1 AM, 2 AM and 3 AM, some was for the facial pain again in my cheekbone and then also the dizziness. Still think the Claritin was trying to mess with me.

Woke up this morning my left ear either slightly full or deafened a little bit, but it finally cleared up after 2 hours or so. I am sliiiightly off, but not fully. I’m hoping my compensation wasn’t touched.

I’m just hoping whatever this is I can shake it with a lot of water, gargling salt with warm water, drinking honey with warm water, nasal cleanses and Fisherman’s Friend lozenges. I can feel some facial pressure currently in my left cheek bone, but I also just did the nasal cleanse 20 mins or so ago.

Is Claritin an “extended-release” type of drug that is only taken once every 12 or 24 hours? If so, then I don’t think extended-release drugs are supposed to be cut or crushed. Cutting or crushing it might cause more of the drug to be released all at once.

If you think you need an antihistamine, you could try an “old school” antihistamine like Chlor-trimeton (the 4-hour version, which is not extended-release). It’s a mild antihistamine (I occasionally take it) and you could cut it in half. The generic name is “chlorpheniramine” and Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens all have their own generic versions. Just make sure it’s the 4-hour version. [I see from an online search that there is now a 12-hour “extended release” version and you wouldn’t want that.]

Ah, thanks for that. I googled it just now after reading what you said. Says there’s a protective layering and cutting it releases it all at once like you mentioned and it’ll give 3x the dosage all at once because of it. Such a sensitive mind I have. Still makes me weary to want to try anything right now or even anytime soon due to this. I’m sure my ear is now vulnerable again for a bit to damage, so I’d rather tread lightly as to not cause more trouble. That incident was very scary and frightening.

Thanks for the info on that one. Silly of me to ask, but do you have a sensitivity to many meds too?

No, not at all.

Lucky! I’m jealous!

All,
@Manatee
@turnitaround
@GetBetter
@flutters

Silly serious question. What can we take for natural remedies of a UTI?

I’ve been able to do cranberry juice and of course water. Is there anything else we can add to fight it that we as MAV sensitive to many things can have?

Cranberry juice is a good one. You can try adding turmeric or curcumin. I suppose you dont want the antiobiotic. Try orange juice or vitamin C to aid the body fight it out. Hope you feel better soon.

Dont forget to drink loads of water.

Thanks, can we even have orange juice?? I’ve been eating bell peppers to consume the vitamin C. I use turmeric sometimes cause it helps with my allergies (anti histamine).
Trying to stay far away from antibiotic.

I’ve had 100 oz of water just this morning. (It’s 12:17 pm now)

Would just add: any blood in urine go see your local doctor immediately to get something stronger … also don’t get too amorous until you’ve fully recovered.:heart: :slight_smile: (not that you’ll probably feel like it!)

FYI the other usual remedy is Sodium Citrate Dihydrate, but as the name suggests this is very high in Sodium so use with caution.

Hope it blows over soon … that’s very uncomfortable!!