New here, just diagnosed, pretty bummed

Does Meclizine help with balancing you out? Antihistamines dry out and a water pill? Just curious Iā€™ve never heard that before and I spray water directly in my ears all the time I think Iā€™m going to stop that now.

I take zero medication now.

Omg for sure. Never do that!!

Doctors generally refuse to syringe your ears now as this risk is widely recognised.

I will add though that I had a heavy slug of wax in my ear at the time. It might have been this that added the necessary momentum to cause me the injury.

Hereā€™s someone else who got a similar injury but from diving into a pool.

Needless to say, wonā€™t be doing that again in a hurry!!

Meclizine is Dramamine. Itā€™s a staple in my personal arsenal.

Btw I donā€™t think we can get this in the UK

Itā€™s bonine in your area.

Dramamine made me feel horrible antivert is Meclizine im in the US im not sure the different drug types in different places one works there and the FDA says No here one works here and you canā€™t have it. What about this new Amovig injection? Anyone heard of it itā€™s the first migraine preventative medicine that the FDA approved, supposed to be a antibody that bonds to the protein that causes blood vessels to expand.

Hmmm canā€™t find that but ā€˜sea-legsā€™ seems to be an equivalent but only available on prescription :frowning:

It depends on which version of Dramamine it is.

Dramamine Original Formula (US, over-the-counter) = Dimenhydrinate

Dramamine ā€œNon-Drowsy Naturalsā€ (US, over-the-counter) = Ginger (zingiber officinale)(root)

Dramamine ā€œLess Drowsyā€ (US, over-the-counter) = Meclizine Hydrochloride

Bonine (US, over-the-counter) = Meclizine Hydrochloride

Antivert (US, prescription) = Meclizine Hydrochloride

I guess I could have specified it was the less drowsy version. Still makes me tired.

Yes, I suppose thatā€™s why they call it ā€œless-drowsyā€ instead of ā€œnon-drowsy.ā€ :slight_smile:

If I take a whole pill, Iā€™m looking at the inside of my eyelids.

1 Like

Ha, ha! I buy the generic, Rugby brand of Meclizine Hydrochloride (itā€™s WAY cheaper than Dramamine or Bonine) and it comes in 25mg, scored, chewable tablets. So itā€™s easy to break one in half which is sometimes all I need.

I get the same - Rx version.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Kind of new, more of a return

Hello all, hammet here, I was a lurker and sometimes poster on the forums here about a year ago. Got diagnosed with vestibular migraine pppd and a unilateral deficiency from a concussion playing soccer. Was doing quite well the past 6 months or so after having a heck of a year with this. Well I tried to go back to my 8 hour a day computer job last week, and boy was that a mistake. Feels like between that and the weather changing here in the states Iā€™ve had my first large set back where a lot of the usual symptoms , hypersensitivities to light sound smell and motion as well as the usual off balance feeling and constant nausea )have come back full force. So thanks for having me back and hereā€™s to better days ahead hopefully for everyone here

5 Likes

Dude that was brave. Itā€™s taken me 3 and a half years to get mentally fit again. Hang in there and donā€™t lose hope. It just takes very much longer. I donā€™t think many people experience that kind of drawn out recovery timeline. I know an amateur boxer that also got MAV who recovered after a similar timeline

1 Like

I know Iā€™ll get back to where i was, Iā€™m just kicking myself for trying the old job one last time now with how I feel. Theres small positive points in the day, and in not as worse as last year, just gotta keep my mind on that. And try to control the anxiety of a set back

2 Likes

Yeah, I know exactly what that feels like. Damn all the scrollingā€¦ Iā€™m part time with work now at the computer and seem to be okay, but still wonder sometimes if I should just change careersā€¦ I guess grass is always greener on the other side though. Hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

A large part of my job is on the computer as well, so many triggers on that screen! A coworker was showing me something on her screen last week and she started scrolling as I was lookingā€¦ wowā€¦ messed with me even more when someone else has control of the scroll!