The Vestibular Migraine Community
Please read our welcome post and user support wiki!

New here, just diagnosed, pretty bummed

Does Meclizine help with balancing you out? Antihistamines dry out and a water pill? Just curious I’ve never heard that before and I spray water directly in my ears all the time I think I’m going to stop that now.

I take zero medication now.

Omg for sure. Never do that!!

Doctors generally refuse to syringe your ears now as this risk is widely recognised.

I will add though that I had a heavy slug of wax in my ear at the time. It might have been this that added the necessary momentum to cause me the injury.

Here’s someone else who got a similar injury but from diving into a pool.

Needless to say, won’t be doing that again in a hurry!!

Meclizine is Dramamine. It’s a staple in my personal arsenal.

Btw I don’t think we can get this in the UK

It’s bonine in your area.

Dramamine made me feel horrible antivert is Meclizine im in the US im not sure the different drug types in different places one works there and the FDA says No here one works here and you can’t have it. What about this new Amovig injection? Anyone heard of it it’s the first migraine preventative medicine that the FDA approved, supposed to be a antibody that bonds to the protein that causes blood vessels to expand.

Hmmm can’t find that but ‘sea-legs’ seems to be an equivalent but only available on prescription :frowning:

It depends on which version of Dramamine it is.

Dramamine Original Formula (US, over-the-counter) = Dimenhydrinate

Dramamine “Non-Drowsy Naturals” (US, over-the-counter) = Ginger (zingiber officinale)(root)

Dramamine “Less Drowsy” (US, over-the-counter) = Meclizine Hydrochloride

Bonine (US, over-the-counter) = Meclizine Hydrochloride

Antivert (US, prescription) = Meclizine Hydrochloride

I guess I could have specified it was the less drowsy version. Still makes me tired.

Yes, I suppose that’s why they call it “less-drowsy” instead of “non-drowsy.” :slight_smile:

If I take a whole pill, I’m looking at the inside of my eyelids.

Ha, ha! I buy the generic, Rugby brand of Meclizine Hydrochloride (it’s WAY cheaper than Dramamine or Bonine) and it comes in 25mg, scored, chewable tablets. So it’s easy to break one in half which is sometimes all I need.

I get the same - Rx version.