New and scared ...Menieres or MAV?

Hey Welcome Diana! Sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having, several of us also have kids on here. I have a 3 year old. It sounds more like MAV because of your migraine past and the fact that you don’t have fluctuating hearing loss or any vertigo. But criteria many times overlaps with other conditions, it’s hard to know. My grandma and my mom have had classic meneirs, but based on my symptoms I think I’m closer to MAV. The good thing is that MAV/meiners treatments are similar, both require proper diet and removal of caffeine.

I think you will find the migraine survival guide very helpful:
https://www.mvertigo.org/t/vestibular-migraine-survival-guide-2014/2244/4

During my worst I always found driving was the best activity too! And yes, I would sway and rock around all the time, and yes it was always worse when I was standing still or slowly walking. Many of us on here are “rockers” with no vertigo. I have a little bit left, but its mostly gone. I also went to the ER once, but it was probably more panic-related than headache.

The biggest helpers overall for me (in no particular order):

1. Lifestyle change (work less + walk/meditate/family more) and migraine-specific diet.
  2. Counseling/Psych help
  3. Amitriptyline
  4. CBD oil
  5. Cefaly device in preventative mode 20min per day. But for you it might actually help as an acute treatment as well.

I really think it took all of the above consistently to get better. I didn’t get much better with VRT, but sometimes I felt it was helpful. Oh and sleep was a big problem for me, so I got enrolled in a CBT-I course to help with that. Do you have any sleep issues?

Anyways I hope the Aimovig starts helping you soon! But I would consider trying something like Amitriptyline too if you don’t see much results from Aimovig in the next few weeks. Amitriptyline + CBD oil has really calmed my anxiety, and treating anxiety with MAV is about as important as treating the migraines.

3 Likes