Needing information

Hi
So I just wondered if anyone could tell me how they suffer with there ears with this? My ears click and pop every single time I swallow, I get shooting pains in them which make me feel a bit wobbly for a second it’s so painful. I find if I’m in a car it makes a clicking noise that seems to be coming from far back of my head, sometimes when I’m walking my ear clicks to. And if I move my neck sometime I hear the click and also when I breathe in sometimes it does the same thing to. When I go to sleep I find that I have tinnitus but all of the other noises subside, even when I swallow the noise isn’t there. Then I will wake up in the morning and within minutes they will all seem full again. Does anyone else suffer with ear problems 24/7?
They went away mostly when I was pregnant, apart from the tinnitus. But it’s all back now.
Any advice on this would really help, my ent just said vestibular Migraines with possible ETD

I’m pretty sure most people with MAV get ear trouble with it.

I have hissing tinnitus 24/7. It never stops. In fact though my balance has more or less recovered I get ear symptoms the whole time still. I get a fluid/bubbling sensation (which has improved over time considerably), a clicking sound that happens in spasms and a slight dulling of my hearing. I have had ear fullness, during which you can hear your own voice, but only temporarily. I think your eustachian tube can get clogged up too as I’ve had it cracking free countless times. I get bouts of ear pain. Swaps ears periodically.

I don’t believe this is a separate condition, it’s part of MAV.

Unfortunately it appears to be the least treatable part of it. (That’s not so say it won’t get better on its own accord though)

Hi

Ear fullness and tinnitus are two typical MAV symptoms which I had 24/7 for more than 3 years. They are ‘just’ extremely irritating common MAV symptoms. Once the preventatives really kick in the ear fullness - which is really part of the migraine’headache’ pattern IMHO - will gradually go away. The tinnitus seems to like to hang around longer. Mine went intermittent and now it’s gone occasional just playing up when I’ve irritated it by pushing my balance limitations beyond their comfort zone. The pain, personally I havent had that but then again I dont get the traditional migraine painful headache either but if ENT told you its OK, assume its OK and stop worrying about it. As @turnitaround says its not likely its another condition. Its so typical of migraine and particularly MAV.

That’s not surprising. I am convinced my MAV is hormonal. Caused by fluctuating hormones. Maybe yours is the same.

I know you said you do suffer from health anxiety so attach a quite from another post thats relevant to you as well.

Helen

Hi thanks for the reply James, I find that when my ears are playing up more I find I’m more dizzy did you ever experience this? It’s just crap as I was ok during pregnancy so it’s like I’m having to learn to deal with it all again. I find my ears go down a bit after I eat aswell don’t know wether this is because of the jaw movement.

Hello
I get ear fullness and sinus pressure after eating sometimes…it even happens when ive had a cup of decaf tea!! I have to.pop them for hours afterwards and my nose throbs as well its totaly weird
Jo x

My ears get better after I’ve eaten, but then about ten mins later they pop again. X

Had shooting pains in my left ear for 3 days now it’s soo bloody painful? Is this normal guys as I’ve never experienced this with VM before

Totally. In my case my ears are definitely intimately involved. In fact now I have only ear symptoms (no more migraines or dizziness thank goodness!!)

I do still get ear pain from time to time and it varies in intensity. Sometimes it pops up in my ‘good’ ear!

1 Like

Thank you, it’s making me worry so much. I’ve had ear pain a few times but never this long. I wonder why it’s changing. Mine change ears all the time.

Don’t worry, it’s almost certainly benign, just annoying. Think of all this as super annoying, but nothing to be scared of. It takes time to get to that point but it’s worth it for your sanity.

Make sure you monitor your diet and see if there are any obvious relationships between what you consume and the ‘popping’ and/or tinnitus.

Drink lots and lots of herbal tea and water too.

We know Dr. S. recommends gentle exercise too … don’t strain.

My ear symptoms are waaaaay better than they were … but it’s improved over years, not weeks.

Totaly…get that a lot. I take Gabapentin for it. Neuro says its part of my condition. I sometimes have to strap a hot water bottle to my right ear to get more ease…its awful
Jo x

Hi Jojo

Just one question:

Exceptionally large ears or dinky hot water bottle? (Sorry, couldn’t resist). And You said I made You laugh. This did make me chuckle but you know from our similar histories I know how miserable all this stuff is really so laughter should be the best medicine. No side effects, well, not unless you decide never to speak to me again of course. Helen

Helen…you are funny! I use a hand sized hot water bottle with a lovely plush velvet cover!!! Ha ha…that and a nice 300mg Gabapentin tablet and i get SOME form of relief. I dont have ear pan ALL the time just now and again. My hot water bottle is carefully stored in my bedside drawer until its services are needed again…i love it💖
Jo x

Oh, a dinky sized hotwater bottle. Must be almost like a pet. Velvet, red or blue. Didn’t know you could get such things. Handy though. I used to lug a red rubber one close to my tummy for what seemed weeks as a teenager - abdominal migraine I know now. Helen

Its pink!!! It hasnt got a name im afraid. Its helped me through many a severe attack of ear pain…
Jo x