Need to talk

So as people may know I’ve been doing good, but today is just a down day. Nothing bad particularly has happened I’ve had a few dizzy spells. But nothing bad and got a headache ( could be the stopping smoking ) but I’m just sat here and I’m thinking the worse thing about this illness is the fact that I can not stop obsessing over it, I keep myself busy I have two children and a dog etc. But it’s always there in my mind and I’m so sick of been worried about it, letting it control me even though it’s not as bad as it once was. I find little joy in the things I use to, I will think oh we will have family night , movie, snacks etc. and I will love been with my kids etc but it’s always there and I think I won’t be able to enjoy it that much though because of obsessing. I was wondering if anyone else does this? Any tips on how to manage it. Or shall I just carry on been worried because it’s probs going to come back anyways… xx sorry for the rant! X

1 Like

Can totally relate Jessyka. You are not alone with these feelings. It can totally consume you.

Somehow the trick is to find things you really love to do that are nice and distracting. Easier said than done when symptoms are going through a particular annoying phase but those phases are not endless and they do inevitable calm down.

Also being in busy places like cafes is good. Tinnitus is much easier to ignore.

Being around good friends can also help loads so seek out opportunities to be social.

Yep, I still have these feelings daily. I try to stay in the moment with my family no matter how strange and awful I feel. I try to remind myself that, although something is terribly wrong in my head, I’m doing the best I can. And, that I’m lucky to live in the 21st century where at least there is some understanding of this condition and many different treatment options.

The fact that you are stopping smoking is even more difficult, nicotine gives a good boast to neurotransmitters. I quit about 9 months ago, when I was at a real low and it was hard. But I felt I had to do it to stop the vascular effects of nicotine which was probably creating some of the migraine activity.

I think talking to people is the best way to keep your mind off of things. And I also like the idea of picking up or continuing a skill or hobby. This way you can at least see some positive progress in your life. It’s not perfect, but it helps a bit. Getting exercise also helps remind me that I’m not dying, if I were really dying I most likely would not be able exercise. :grinning:

Anyways, I know exactly your feeling. Trapped in a nightmare, trying to act and do the things you used to but nothing feels the same. Its a real depression problem for me currently. I just try to remind myself that the chances of recovery are good, its just a lot of time and patience under very uncomfortable circumstances.

1 Like

hey @Jessyka_Nettleton, i think a lot of us here really understand you. I was just out on the farmers market having a good time and the rocking started and I felt all my body tensing… i think maybe it is good to sit down and let you feel whatever you feel (as opposed to keeping busy all the time), and maybe that way you can get it out of the system. I keep telling to myself that i will recover completely and I just keep going.
I am cooking today for friends that are coming for dinner and i am travelling next week to see my parents who live in another country, so i noticed half my mind is now occupaid on things that make me happy. Happiness is key for recovery. I am reading the book “the brain the heels itself”, its pretty inspiring!

@ander454 hey Erik, i know that it is not easy to deal with these, but if depression is hitting, dont let it progress. Maybe some therapy can help! Are you still progressing in your recovery?

2 Likes

Thanks @dizzy3, I am still progressing, just some set backs though where the rocking and headaches come back. In addition I get this awful heavy chest tightness feeling and esophageal spasm sometimes, can’t seem to figure out how to get rid of it. Yes, I may need to get some more counseling help, thanks for the reminder. :grinning:

Yes - I know exactly what you mean, when I am not at work, I try to keep myself busy too. I am doing well but this is always at the back of my mind - I torture myself with the what if it gets worse again which is stupid. I need to take each days as it comes. I think you are very brave by giving up smoking as that must be really hard - it will be doing you a lot of good in the long run so give yourself a huge pat on the back. I am trying to find a yoga class near me that will offer a bit of meditation - most classes are either when I am working or clash with other things. The husband of a good friend of mine is a retired GP and he advised me to stay positive and focus on the things that I can do - sound advice but not always easy to manage! No problem about ranting by the way - it is good to let off steam to people in this forum who will be sympathetic!