Mirena coil

I had a mirena coil fitted getting on for 3 years ago. A few weeks ago it dawned on me that my symptoms had gradually got worse from not long after it was fitted. Due to the chronic migraine part of it starting a year later I hadn’t connected the mirena with the headaches. I saw Dr Silver in July 2012 and he gave me a list of 4 drugs to try. Unfortunately none of them have completely taken the headache away, although the dizziness is much better. It finally occurred to me that the mirena could be playing a part so went to see my GP. I had it removed about 4 weeks ago.

Up to now I am still having my daily headaches but it’s been interesting.
I was on Topiramate 100mg when I first had it removed. I found the headaches got worse after removal. At first I put this down to hormone levels but I don’t think that was the only reason. I have never liked the Topiramate so decided to go back to Nortriptyline. I reduced the dose down to 50mg and the next day my headache had gone from 6/10 to a 3/10. I think the mirena was stopping the drugs working properly, due to the hormone it was putting in my system. I’m now on Nortpriptyline 50mg and have felt better than I have done in ages. Headaches are a 2/10 on average and not lasting as long, though still to have a headache free day.
Fingers crossed the Nortriptyline will work properly this time.

Marie x