Migraine Surgery/Botox

Here are two links from The Doctors tv show from the U.S, which aired on March 7, 2013. The patient had migraine headaches for years and claims to be 100% free of them now after her surgery. It sounds like she was a candidate for surgery because Botox was successful for her, at least that is how I understood it. I just thought it was really fascinating. The first link shows some of the surgery, the second link has the surgeon talking about the surgery. Anyway, I came across this as I am interested in finding out if Botox will work for vestibular migraine. I have had this condition for 14 years and like all of you, enough already! I’m currently seeing Dr. Priesol, and taking about 387mg Topiramate. Although headache is not my big concern maybe this surgery will be of interest to some of you.

Does anyone know how effective Botox is for vestibular migraine? Any information would be appreciated. Best wishes to you all!

thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/8762

thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/8760

Thanks for posting this. I’m supposed to be going for the migraine Botox injections tomorrow. I’m very nervous and really fighting feeling any hope since I’ve been disappointed so many times before, but I will let you know how it goes. :smiley:

Ellen -

How did things work out with the Botox?

My neuro talked with me about it; I was particularly interested in the fact that they place injections around your neck as well as your forehead, etc.

Let us know!

Best wishes,

Kathleen

I had botox done and felt WAY worse. Zero benefit at all after about two weeks of hell following the injections. Although I’ve been told I was an unusual case in that regard, I thought I’d put forth my experience.

Hey DMC – what did the injections do to you? What happened in that 2 weeks? Thx

Hey Scott,

The injections set off a huge migraine episode almost immediately. Correlation doesn’t equal causation, as you know, but this episode was so different in intensity and variety that I can’t see it being anything else. My neck was so stiff and sore that it was a almost a chore to be sitting upright for a few days after. I felt like I was hit by a truck, and it took me quite awhile to “normalize.” I was in contact with Dr. Hain afterward (he’s not the one who did the injections, but he did suggest them as treatment for me), and he was quite surprised about my experience. I don’t want to dissuade anyone from undergoing the procedure, as it seems I was a big outlier, but I wanted to share my experience nonetheless.