Migraine diet

Hello all! I have been reading a lot of the suggestions on this website and i have a question. When it comes to food triggers, i am wondering how others have been able to give up caffeine? I drink coffee every single day. It’s my cure for the extreme fatigue that comes as a result of my very busy life.
I am also wondering what the best replacemens that maybe would not have a negative impact on migraines would be? I love sweets and have started giving them up but im having trouble giving all of it up! Any suggestions are welcomed!

I think it is so individual - what bothers one may not bother another. If you are finding it difficult, start slow - cut back first with the intent to stop completely in a week or two. I guess what I’m saying is to wean yourself off the sweets and caffeine.
Once you are completely on the diet, then give it a few months to see if it helps you at all. You would really need to be completely on it to see the true results but you can get on it little by little.

Julie

Hask,

I think it’s definitely a must to see if you improve once you stop drinking coffee. If you do, you’ll know it’s time to say goodbye. If not, then there would appear to be no reason why you cannot stay with it.

I have been coffee free for years but over the recent holidays have been having a few. Not as bad as I thought but it’s definitely going to remain a treat only once a week or fortnightly.

S

Thank you both for the replies. I agree that I need to make the leap and try it. It was my one and only vice…that is other than anxiety. I did give up chocolate and I stopped taking Ibuprofen per the recommendation of these boards. How long will it take for me to notice a difference if I do give up coffee?

I havent had a coffee in 2 months…i still crave it daily, but i can have tea with no problem.

I am tempted to try it just to see what would happen. I also got alot of chocolate for x-mas & have done ok with that…everything in moderation. its hard to follow the diet…i slip every now & then. good luck~

The diet we are recieving from the doctor in denmark are allowing 2 cups a day. But at the exact same time and amount a day :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from “Hask”

Thank you both for the replies. I agree that I need to make the leap and try it. It was my one and only vice…that is other than anxiety. I did give up chocolate and I stopped taking Ibuprofen per the recommendation of these boards. How long will it take for me to notice a difference if I do give up coffee?

— End quote

Hi Hask,
just wanted to say that one thing I immediately noticed when switching to decaffeinated coffee, was a very noticeable decrease in my overally level of anxiety and that ‘edge-iness’ and ‘hyped-up’ feeling. I was amazed, once I had come off the caffeine for a couple of weeks, how much calmer and more relaxed I felt - it was almost like being tranquilized in comparison! I felt much less stressed - all good for migraine!

Also, I drink Nescafe decaf, because it says on the label on the back of the jar that it’s decaffeinated only using water, and not any nasty chemicals (I have read that some decaffeinated methods can use chemicals which themselves may be migraine triggers!).

Hope that helps - good luck!

Tony.

once caffeine free, i found my energy level to be much more consistent throughout the day, and generally more productive. Just no more morning rush.

I have to be honest, i am not sure i am really addicted to the caffeine! Im addicted to the relaxation of those moments. I can sit and sip and it feels peaceful;)

Hask,

Given the anxiety that you are also dealing with, I think it is a MUST that you end the caffeine. That will help you to feel more relaxed and may make a bigger impact than you realise. Coffee totally jacks me up in the wrong situations. If I’m already a little bit edgy and then knock back a cappuccino I’m a write off.

Well that’s bad news…but I think you are right. I will have to find a new relationship to replace the one I have with coffee. I am willing to give it a shot though. Should I set a date or just be done?!

My pregnant friend just gave me her elliptical so maybe I can replace it with exercise. Yeah, writing those words were just as painful as I thought they would be;)