MAV'ers triggered by computer use -- your advice needed!

Getting through MAV is an arduous journey. Donā€™t let it make you too easily discouraged this far in. Donā€™t despair. Thereā€™s still plenty of hope. Once you have the condition under good control you will find you will be able to do most of the things you did before all this started. You may have to make some adjustments of course. Sounds to me your computer use could well be a major trigger factor for you. I recall others on here previously @jojo65 for example who had similar with constant use of several screens. Jo no longer posts on here but as far as I can recall she did eventually get back to her previous employment in some form or another.

Hello Helen,

i canā€™t seem to find any ā€œsafeā€ monitors for MAVers any where. The ones recommend on here are almost from 4-5 years ago. Are you able to use the computer freely now?

Somehow I donā€™t think such a thing as a ā€˜safe monitor for MAVersā€™ has ever existed. And you must bear in mind we (and in that I would include anybody suffering with sensory insufficiencies, not just MAVers) are a very tiny minority which is neither acknowledged nor serviced by the world in general so it wouldnā€™t realistic to expect anything to change much for the foreseeable. Any monitors previously recommended had obviously been found acceptable by those recommending them. That doesnā€™t mean they would suit everybody else. Iā€™m no longer to up date with computer developments but would suggest such things as screen size, brightness and refresh rates would still influence visual tolerance as they always have. Like MAV medication selection must surely be by trial and error. Thereā€™s no other way.

Yes I am able to freely use a computer these days. This is solely the result of having achieved a sufficiently high tolerance level by taking prescribed medication at a high enough dose to control virtually all my symptoms. As long as I was at all symptomatic computer use was both highly variable and problematic.

I just use a standard 15.6"Acer laptop witht he brightness turned down. I use it for most of the day for work and browsing and then again for watching things in the evening. My monitors sit unused. My son who is 19 started getting migraines and occular migraines a few years back, he was a serious TF2 and CSGO player and also used his set up to programme a lot in Lisp and other languages he was on it all day and night often but he rarely uses his set up with monitors anymore unless he is feeling great and both of us find watching our 32 inch TV in the living room a bit too much to cope with unless we are feeling good. So family film nights are out. I think you might just have to size down sadly.

1 Like

What size do you recommendā€¦ i was thinking 24 but my work monitors are 24 and the still bother me. I was recommend a non pwm monitor but not sure if i should go even smaller. My laptop is 14 and I doesnā€™t bother me much.

Quick update. I can now use any screen. When new screens send me flying I simply have to stay with it; my brain always compensates within about 7-14 days. So tough it out and youā€™ll get there.

4 Likes

Hi Scott,
Do you have any tips/strategies for this compensation period? For example, did you spend an hour at a time with the screen and take some form of a break? Or did you just push through the symptoms and use it as normal? Thank you

1 Like

I was recently given the reMarkable tablet and it has been HUGE for me: https://remarkable.com/

It does not replace a laptop as it has limited functionality, but I use it to read PDFs and long webpages (which can be downloaded to the tablet). Theyve also just released a keyboard that I havenā€™t received yet, but it seems like Iā€™ll now be able to type documents which will be AMAZING. I highly recommend as itā€™s cut down on a lot of screen time for me!

2 Likes

I have the Boox Tab X which is similar and its been lifechanging

3 Likes

ooh, I hadnā€™t seen boox before. can you use the internet?

yes; its basically a tablet computer that runs on Android. It is pricey though, but Iā€™ve found it significantly more capable and adaptable than a kindle. not sure about the remarkable

1 Like

Wow! Wish Iā€™d known about it before. Maybe in a few years it will be time to upgrade :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes and now theyā€™re coming out with colored eink displays which Iā€™m really excited for!

1 Like

Regarding the migralens glasses, can they be worn outdoors for regular sunglasses use or are they not protective against sun?

So i purchased a pair of migralens.At first the green tint made the white areas on a screen look brighter, which is the opposite of what theyā€™re supposed to be doing. The green tint is horrible, why does anyone want to look at a completely green world through these lenses? I donā€™t know how so many people have given them great reviews. Iā€™ll try them for a while longer and see if i can adapt to them and if they help.

I tried Onyxā€™s first e-color tablet and had to return it due to ghosting issues, though I very much wanted it to work. I have the Boox Note 2 (I think thatā€™s the version) which I like very much. However, the OS is Android version 6, and this hampers some apps (Kindle cannot update anymore; Libby is glitchy), but the note taking experience is excellent. Iā€™m looking at some of the newer versions ā€“ wonā€™t sink the $$ until I know whether I want to use it for more than reading and occasional notes/sketching.

Sorry ā€“ this wasnā€™t exactly pertinent, but for those having problems with computer screens, e-ink readers are wonderful. One of my landscape students had a used Remarkable and loved it, despite its age. Now that manufacturers are inching towards building more fully-fledged tablets, e-ink is a solid (though pricey) option for small screen use.

1 Like

I highly recommend the Tab X.

2 Likes