MAV and gym

Aww thanks Getbetter :slight_smile: I got in to training properly when mav hit me at age 19 episodically goes to show it didnā€™t stop it coming back but Iā€™m resilient ! My vrt actually discharged me yday because he said there was no need I had rehabed myself very well I would say most of my symptoms that bother me arenā€™t the rockyness itā€™s more lights pressure detachment and some rocking but I do credit training as I feel it has helped my brain or forced it to try to work with me Iā€™ve trained the whole way through this minus then first 2 months it can be done ! :slight_smile: @Young_Lee

2 Likes

Hi Amy, This is super encouraging. I am slowly ramping up on Cardio and light weight training. @Liza_Kulimanova was also into weight training and she was managing only using training and zero meds if i remember right.

1 Like

By some people.

Being fit and young and having a positive outlook must really put people streaks ahead on the road to recovery. The less you do activity-wise, the worse MAV gets. With regards to formal exercise training I guess habituation plays a huge role. If you have always done it ā€¦

Dr S suggested light exercise only. One consultant I saw said to WALK. VRT said to walk outside every day. MAV seems to stem from a variety of sources, including trauma. I wouldnā€™t imagine lifting weights would do anyone with active MAV from ear damage much good. An hour a day, split into 5 sessions, of VRT with unstable MAV took me off my legs for weeks and very nearly put me in hospital. But then once chronic MAV hit me, I went from a fit person who walked two huge dogs several miles a day in all winds and weathers to a person who, when she could stand up, walked very slowly with the aid of a stick which does, once more get me wondering if we can all possibly be suffering from the same thing?

Do you find that whilst you are working out, you donā€™t have any sensation of dizziness at all? Does it ramp up the dizziness? Does the dizziness start when you stop the work out? VRT told me if the dizziness lasted more than a few minutes after you had ā€˜done more harm than goodā€™! Guess everybody has to ā€˜listen to their bodiesā€™.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

Iā€™ve found running psychologically very therapeutic and vestibular symptoms disappear (music covers the tinnitus, lol). I believe this is because the brain relies less on ears when running than it does when walking slowly (because all the bobbing up and down and shaking makes the signals more noisy, so it relies on eyes, muscle, pressure point and joint feedback more). Cycling can be bliss as for some the vestibular symptoms disappear (I suspect those with unilateral ear trouble as other ear compensates nicely).

Whilst I really admire people staying active with MAV, Iā€™m going to be blunt: one of the huge concerns I have with people arguing this is only a migraine problem is that it takes the emphasis away from the inner ear. imho straining is going to wreak havoc with your inner ear if it is affected so lay off any straining whatsoever. I would go as far as to say that straining could actually be a factor in extending the time you have to live with debilitating & quality of life impinging symptoms.

Iā€™ve personally made huge progress in the past 6-12 months (without medication for most of that) and my only relapse was caused by lifting. I ended up with a light migraine and much more severe imbalance for a month or so after lifting some boxes. I had vertigo when putting one of the boxes down, so causality was clear. I had not had vertigo for over a year.

Your mileage may vary ā€¦ obviously make your own mind up, but do at least consider trying to see if there is a relationship and then you will know.

1 Like

You will get there 100% I canā€™t run or jump yet mostly due to pressure in my head. My vrt discharged me because of all the exercises in the beginning it felt awful but itā€™s a lot better now . I think il need the medication tho as exercise canā€™t shit the visual snow / pressure and detached spaced out feeling :woman_shrugging:t3: But every other time I had relapses it was just my balance and exercise fixed me everytime :slight_smile:

I agree with a decent amount of what you have said I see dr s . However Iā€™ve been an athlete most of my life so he said I could carry on as I did before . However I have taken all my weights down so I am not straining and I donā€™t go past my limits as I guess the more ur brain is tired canā€™t help.

Itā€™s amazing you havenā€™t had to medicate tbh I couldnā€™t avoid lifting even if I wasnā€™t training as my job is to train people and lifts up weights. I wish I didnā€™t need meds but Vertigo isnā€™t my main issue itā€™s the other crap visual issues pressure spaced out ect so hoping light exercise and meds help all of this :? Awesome youā€™ve done so well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds about right. Did you turn down the weights because of Dr. Sā€™s advice?

I agree with that totally my vrt said anything that aggravates you to stop this is why I canā€™t run or jump I feel a lot worse . However Iā€™m not dizzy while training and nor ami worse after. So when I asked dr s he was fine with this . Essentially everyone is so different but I could weight train but couldnā€™t walk outside so go figure really is what our bodies say yes to and no to.

Iā€™ve only just felt ok to walk outside on my own I donā€™t get dizzy outside but the visual snow is bad and I feel so spaced out so my vrt said walk outside everyday for 5-10 minutes donā€™t over do it . He then also told me to ask dr s about running again which was encouraging e considering heā€™s a vrt .

As for quick recovery @turnitaround dunno about that Iā€™m 9 months in and still canā€™t fly yet run or go to the cinema so Iā€™m shocked at that as I figured being fit and active would of made me recover faster :confused: .

I think the truth is no one knows our limits but usin the beginning training was very up and down as some weeks I couldnā€™t get out of bed. When Iā€™m on meds I can do ALoT more this is how I know they are working however I realise now I will need a much higher dose considering only getting small relief at 30mg nort . Dr s basically told me to not over do it. Some days I totally go over board but I am learning as a I go along .

I hope ur manage to bow walk ur dogs @Onandon03 I actually walked mine today first time in 9 months so big achievement for me and he pulls a lot hows that for vrt lol :grimacing:

He said to me to carry on what Iā€™m doing but donā€™t over exert myself so I stuck to the weights but didnā€™t go very heavy I k ow my numbers so just stuck below a certain point which sucks as before this I wa getting so strong :confused: oh well. As for running I tried it when I started ami I went a bit crazy as started feeling a lot better when I ran tho I got a blue flashing light in my eye same with jumping so I was advised not to do it itā€™s so odd tho I would think thatā€™s aura but I only have it when doing those exercise I know if def brings on an attack just so odd :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Itā€™s a complex, multilayered beast! Just listen closely to your body and work out whats best for you, is all I can advise.

Understatement of the year :grimacing: but yes thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m doing I just want to be well enough to have a holiday thatā€™s my goal :pray:t3:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response. Amazing how different it is for each individual. Alot must depend on what you are used to doing, ie habituation and yr starting baseline.

Yeah totally and I think mav changes because before in my episodes I could do things then I canā€™t do now ect the human body never fails to amaze me

I had episodic MAV for over 10 yrs. Attacks lasted about 72 hrs, arrived and departed almost instantly and without warning. Could cope with that. No symptoms between. Could do everything I wanted to do without restriction. Didnā€™t bother with taking meds except anti-sickness during attacks. All very different once symptoms became 24/7. A whole new ball game. Life hasnā€™t been the same again since.

Here here Helen!!! Spot on

Jo xx

And im only 4 years in!! :persevere:

Jo xxx

If thatā€™s total, youā€™ve only a ā€˜babeā€™. Iā€™ve already chalked up 15 yrs total. Four yrs chronic come December. Does that beat you. Arenā€™t we the ā€˜lucky onesā€™, eh.

Yes Helen that beats me hands downā€¦good lord i wont cope with another 11 years of thisā€¦HELP!!!:rofl:

Well, the first 10 were episodic. For long periods it went away completely. Could forget it ever happened. Itā€™s really only the last three and a half itā€™s really ā€˜gotā€™ me. If thatā€™s any consolation. You are still working. I donā€™t have to but couldnā€™t have not these last three so you are not as bad as me so you should recover quicker. Not so far to go.

To be honest Helenā€¦my 6 months of lost work over 4 years doesnt reflect how ill i have been really. The amount of times i have been carted off home on top of that amounts to dozens. Some days i have to force myself to go. Its been and still is an absolute nightmare

Jo xxc