MAV and BPPV

How can one distinguish the vertigo of MAV and BPPV on any given attack?
Of course the long course of MAV will be different, but for an individual attack , can they be similar?
Is the vertigo of MAV often positional: does for example rolling over in bed at night trigger it?

Hi,
You asked some very good questions. I just was diagnosed with bppv. I have had MAV since Dec. 2011. I just started the Epley manuvers and all that. I did have a vertigo attack tonight after dinner, not too hard of spinning and I did not get sick, but it was a pretty good spin and lasted for about 4 minutes. So, was that Bppv or was it my MAV? I actually feel somewhat better right now sitting here and I just finished the epley manuvers with my hubby helping me. I have to do them 3 times in succession once a day for two weeks. It’s my left ear so this particular exercise is just for the left, I assume. Let me know how you are doing, if you find out any answers, how long have you had mav and what are you taking. your bppv buddy, Spinning lady ( meredith)

— Begin quote from ____

Is the vertigo of MAV often positional: does for example rolling over in bed at night trigger it?

— End quote

As someone who suffers from both MAV and BPPV, I often ask myself the same question. Been suffering from bouts of BPPV for the past 15 years, only got MAV last summer. I get weird positional spins in bed too, and I get scared that I have BPPV again. It’s hard to differentiate since BPPV often co-exists with migraine. I guess the only real way to know would be to see an ENT or neuro-otologist and have them perform a dix halpike maneuver. If nystagmus/rotational vertigo occurs, then it’s bppv.

Spinning Lady, I might be wrong but I believe with BPPV the spinning only lasts for 30 seconds - 1 minute, when your head is in a provoking position. It then tends to fatigue. I think any spinning longer than that is MAV.

Hi Suki,
You are right, that BPPV is a short spin. I had the test where the water, hot and cold, are put in your ears, just last Friday. It started a gentle spin, much easier than I am used to with MAV, and evidently makes my eyes move in such a way that they know what it is and what side of my head/ear. I am doing the epley manuver at home now for two weeks. Haven’t noticed much of anything yet. I thought BPPV was easier to “fix” and could be fixed with manuvers and no meds. That is what I have heard from different people, some who have had it and one session with a therapist “cured” them. I have had NO such luck, but I am deep into MAV, with about every possible symptom, just miserable. I start Nori and Paxil as soon as I get them from the Pharm, which should be in 2 days. I am so sorry to hear you have had BPPV for 15 years? oh dear. I actually thought that it could be fixed and would not last, but see how wrong I am again. Take care. Meredith Spinning Lady

Ironically enough I woke up this morning with BPPV. Ugh!

I came down with Benign Positional Vertigo in 2003. I went to the doctor, did the prescribed maneuvers, and solved the problem. So I know what BPPV is like.

When I had my first massive episode of vestibular migraine this summer, I recognized the spinning vertigo right away, but it was much more, well, chaotic and prolonged than the BPPV had been years before. In the following days, I had positional vertigo along with the rocking sensation that we are all familiar with. So, for example, I had a short sensation of spinning vertigo when I leaned over, or when I lay down in bed at night.

I’ve read that it is common for those with vestibular migraine to suffer positional vertigo as one of their symptoms. That does not mean it is BPPV.

Of course, it is possible for someone with vestibular migraine to come down later with BPPV. But the cause is completely different. (A buildup of crystals on the cilia in the ear as opposed to a neurological cause.)

"Of course, it is possible for someone with vestibular migraine to come down later with BPPV. But the cause is completely different. (A buildup of crystals on the cilia in the ear as opposed to a neurological cause.)"Of that I am not convinced.
It seems to me, (and to researchers as well, a minority?) that vascular changes in the inner ear from migraine phenomena could lead to the sort of changes associated with BPPV

In my experience BPPV causes a violent spinning where I cannot stand, or rather I can stand but only at an odd angle, and I am prone to start spinning at any second. I have only had 2 episodes of violent spinning, but a lot of episodes of being on the verge of spinning.

By contrast, my MAV occurred post BPPV and was characterized by constant feeling of unsteadiness, loss of balance, disequilibrium, anxiety.

The doctors told me that my BPPV episodes were an assault on my nerves, especially the connect between the ears and the brain, and that in some people this causes a sudden drop in serotonin. So it went away after I started on SSRIs and got the serotonin back.

However, like anyone else in the world, I could have the crystals get loose and give me BPPV at any time.

bumping this thread. Wonder if I had BPPV after my supposedly mild ear trauma (stupidly aimed the shower into my ear) and MAV is secondary as others have described here.