Marijuana for vertigo

I’ve been doing some reading on this subject and have noticed people with severe vertigo from Menderes are finding incredible relief from medical marijuana. They have been able to quit all meds and benzos and just use a small amount daily for nearly full relief. The last thing I feel like doing is smoking marijuana. I’m a mother of 2 and quit smoking pot after high school but I hate feeling dizzy and having vertigo jolts and headaches. I’ve really frowned upon this up until now but people seem to be finding relief from lots of debilitating diseases by using it. It just makes me wonder. If there is anyone out there doing this or at least tried it I would love to know if you got any positive results

1 Like

if u can can you post the links that you were reading? I have totally thought about this but if anything it seems like it would make things worse- but who knows???

Have been tempted many times thinking it could help with stress and so helping with dizziness, but with my only access being to ask my kids to get it for me, I passed. I will follow the responses with interest!

I don’t even know how to go about it. Are there special doctors or do I ask my neurotogist? I live in oregon so I’m sure I could get a medical card. I guess there are also all different kinds that give you mild to very intense highs. I would not want to have the paranoia so I think the weakest one would do the trick for me. I also have no stress outlet anymore. I quit smoking cigarettes 6 years ago and I rarely drink due to the vestibular migraine. I started working out but nothing is helping my jolts. I also want to quit verapamil. I’m worried its making my hair fall out as I mentioned in a different post. For the most part I am not debilitated and can function pretty normal. I wish I had the nerve to just take one hit. I do have access to some but I’m terrified I might freak out! Jaybird, try it for me and let me know if it works! Take some from your kids! Lol! I will try and find the thread. It was a menieres thread

i live in massachusetts and they recently legalized medical marijuana, but i have no idea when that will be up and running. Alcohol makes my vertigo sooo much worse, which makes me think pot might too…dunno I wish others on here would try it and report back!!!

There’s no way to get it legally. Not in the Uk anyway. Just ask someone to get you some. You won’t get locked up for a small amount.

Having said that, it does nothing for me. But maybe I didn’t smoke enough.

I would say it just works on relaxing people so anything else that relaxes you would work just as well.

A few thoughts/data:

Marijuana that’s available nowadays has considerably more THC &c than marijuana decades back: more like hashish was.
Marijuana does not have to be smoked; toward the end of my pot use, I’d sprinkle it in spaghetti sauce. (Mama Mia)
A bong does not make smoking safer. At least I saw a recent report that tobacco smoked through a bong merely changed toxins.
I seem to recall something about pot during pregnancy, but you’d have to did for the research.
The NIH report on pot as medicine suggested that a few tokes would not last all day. Of course, if they do for you, without leaving your head fuzzed out stoned, I’d be quite happy with that placebo/outlier response.

I was thinking the same thing recently. I currently take a small benzo before bed, but if I could switch to weed, that might be healthier.

I don’t drink and I have not smoked weed in maybe 25 years. It always kind of made me a little dizzy, and while it used to relax me when I was young, it had the opposite effect when I was older – it made me feel out of control and paranoid. But now that it is legal (or at least decriminalized) I was curious to find out whether vertigo docs are prescribing for it.

Last time I smoked weed was in Thailand in 2009. I was MAVing my head off still then of course. The weed had no ill effects. I laughed my ass off all night. :lol:

Not sure we should be praising illegal substances…wouldn’t sex be just as relaxing? :smiley:

— Begin quote from “Deethedizzy”

Not sure we should be praising illegal substances…wouldn’t sex be just as relaxing? :smiley:

— End quote

You obviously aren’t having sex with a guy on SSRIs!

What happens when you have sex with a guy who takes SRRI’s then?

This is interesting. I had been wondering If marijuana might be useful. Last time I tried it was 25 years ago, waaaay before dizziness so I don’t know now. However, I too take a benzo at night and would rather not. It is legal in my state now so maybe I’ll ask my doctor about getting a prescription. I’d only want pill form tho. Hmmm…food for thought. Would sure like to heat from more people who have tried it for their dizziness. Seems like it’d make it worse though so I’m chicken.

Actually, sometimes sex makes my dizziness worse. I smoked a lot of weed as a teenager but I too started getting paranoid and anxious and had my first panic attack from weed so its been almost 20 years since my pothead days as well. There are different strengths at the medical shops. It’s crazy they have all kinds for all problems. Some that make you very high for like severe pain control and nausea and some that just take the edge off of a headache and it can be consumed in many forms. I’ve only smoke it but I’ve heard eating it can keep you high for hours and hours and if its not too intense that could be good. As long as I do t get the munchies! That would not be worth it to me. Somebody just try some already. Who has the guts to try it? I’ve been super dizzy lately and it is really interfering with my happiness. I swear with my crazy schedule and my kids insane sports schedule, I don’t know how I do it. Wait a minute, maybe that’s why I’m dizzier all of a sudden? That and the allergies are not helping. Somebody smoke pot and report back

— Begin quote from “Deethedizzy”

What happens when you have sex with a guy who takes SRRI’s then?

— End quote

My wife will explain it to you. She’s still in bed with an icepack and waiting for the Advil to kick in. Something about delayed ejaculation…

Even tho this article is outdated it was in 4th postion for my google search in of may 2018. So I feel the need to respond.

8 days ago i had my first vertigo attack. I woke up to full blown spinning, panic, dizzyness, sight rotations, sweating and then nausea/vomitting.

Emergency room told me i had vertigo. I have no clue what they gave me cause it had me asleeep with in mins… after i woke they sent me home with Ondansetron for nausea, Meclizine for dizzyness and Valium for serve vertigo. All of it take as needed.

Today marked 9 days after my first attack. And i suddenly had a serve attack. It came out of no where and i was a 30 min drive from home luckily with someone that can drive me. I got a ride home, by the time i got here i was fully sweating, vomiting, spinning, panicing and had sight spinnng. I dissolved the Ondassetron under my tongue, waited about 3 mins took the first valium and melcizine and both came right out. After vomitting I immediately took both again and force myself to hold both in for at least 20 mins. Then i couldnt hold it any more and vomitted again. The Ondansetron kicked in around this time and I got really tired, after 10 mins of back and forth eyes open, eyes close I was able to fall a sleep.
I woke up a hour later to a lot less nausea, a medium sight spinning, dizziness, ear ringing and a mild panic feeling. I took 1 melczine cause it was prescripted 1-2 pills then I began researching this topic cause i was cleaning out a house i rented and illerally found about 2 grams of some old but decent smelling stuff.
After reading what i found online I decided for the naseua effect alone it was worth a try.
This is what i found. Dose was 2 full inhales, unknown type, strenght was mid/strong… I wasn’t loaded at all but definety high.

Instantly I lost the panic feeling, I believe my central nervous system began to stablize. 5 mins later I still was dizzy, had mild ear ringing and had sight movement but I could now walk with less support. Also had 0% nausea. 20 mins later I was no longer dizzy but still had sight movement. I literally walk up my stairs with no support right up the middle. I didnt feel unbalance at all. (Please remember i did take 1 more Melcizine and this would be about the time it started to kick in). I also began to get extremely hunger. I was scared to eat but I ate light and the food had a calming effect. Kind of like my body tellng me this attack is starting to go away.
Now im at 1.5 hour later and i feel a mild dizzness, have mild ear ringing and see a mild eye sight movement. But Im 90% better. as im less high i do feel the vertigo
symptoms more then when i was high.

I plan on smoking again tonight. Hoping i wake up 100%. I will be making a doctors appointment tomorrow with my ear nose and throat doctor. If there is another attack, i will try smoking first then the pills. For 2 reasons, the nausea/ vomitting feeling dosent go away fast enough with the pills given. 2nd reason the calmness to my nervous system makes the dizziness and spinning more managable so I panic less.

I didnt need much to feel immedately feel better. If your tempted try 1 inhale and i beleive you’ll feel a mild relief instantly.

I will update this as much as possible cause i hope it might help someone one day.

dude my personal theory is marijuana has same calming and tranquilizing effect as a benzodiazepines. Both can help for acute attacks but long term treatment could cause dependence. Better to seek out a preventative.

Marijuana for migraine is an upcoming subject. Discuss with a neurologist. ENT will be zero help in this department.

1 Like

I wouldn’t dream of touching marijuana as the last thing I need right now is to be stoned, but I wondered if anyone here had considered trying CBD oil?
I’m not on meds yet, but am struggling with crippling anxiety due to this condition, to the point that I am avoiding more and more activities. I cannot remember what it is like to feel relaxed, and there are some great reviews about this (totally legal and available in the UK) oil. It’s said to help anxiety and encourage sleep. I can find no reports on its effect on dizziness but it being helpful for migraines is often mentioned.
My problem is that I’m worried that I might feel even the trace amounts of THC which seem to be in most blends, All reports suggest that these are totally negligible in terms of any psychotropic effect, and are counteracted by the CBD itself in any event. But my brain seems so overly sensitive at the moment that I still worry about this, or about the dizziness worsening. As I think the original poster said though, I often feel like the tension I’m holding in my body is exacerbating the dizziness and I’d love to know how I’d feel if that went. Like most here, I don’t sleep well and now can’t tolerate alcohol.

Anyone have any views on this, or experience of trying it?

Just thought I’d add that I realise that prescribed meds are probably the way to go forward with this illness, and that’s something I’ll be doing. It’s just that I’ve a few things coming up which I need to get through, and I would LOVE a ‘quick fix’ (or close to one) if that was available. Med trials etc take so long and involve dealing with side effects, weighing up which is worse, the illness or the medication etc, It’s so frustrating. So if something could at least help with the stress/anxiety for now, that is what I’m after.

1 Like

I tried CBD oil. MJ is legal where I live. I wasn’t looking for the psychotropic either as I feel plenty weird already with MAV. I personally did not feel any more dizzy, though I did feel generally calmer and less in pain from a separate medical issue. I saw no side effects.

Effexor is keeping me up at night. I was thinking of picking up another bottle of oil to see if that would help sleep rather than adding another med.