Lets Talk Botox

— Begin quote from “MAVLisa”

Thanks, Mary. What you said makes such good sense, but I was also thinking that there are meds (e.g., abortive migraine meds) that help chronic migraine pain and not MAV symptoms. so, I wonder if Botox would also only help the pain. my doc seems to think so. what do you think?

— End quote

Everyone reacts to all medications so differently as we all know so it’s so darn hard to say for sure. Nothing is for certain in this MAV world. But what I know for sure that when you have tried so many drugs, that Botox seems like a really good next step with minimal side effects and would be so worth talking to your doctor about. And it makes perfect sense in my not so fogged brain anymore that since it somehow works on nerve endings that it would be something worth trying. When I am in a really bad mav state, I feel as if there are fireworks going off in my brain like there is too much activity, almost like seizures if you will. Again I always preface by saying I am not educated in medicine or anatomy but it is only what I have learned during this period of studying the brain and of course what I feel is happening in my body. And of course that activity affects almost every damn part of the body and makes us so sick. For me, I have found that once my medicine got to a point where it was hitting norepinephrine, that’s when I magically starting feeling better. That’s when my brain activity seemed to mellow out.

As far as the botox, I really would love to try it and I will down the line when mav comes crashing back. It just makes logical sense to me. But of course you have to do whats right for you. I have just read some really good success stories about it on face book with people with the dizzies like us. Lisa, we are routing for you. I would love to see you try it.

Let me know if you do.

Hi muppo, ive had the botox by a neuro, first round didnt really help maybe a few less headaches per month nothing signficant though, then the second round was more effective plus ive added in nori at 10mg. its now wearing off its been roughly 2 months. im due to go back end of september but the price is going to stop me. if i was cashed up i wont hesitate for more and i HATE needles i freak out. it also improved my neck pain as i had numerous needles down my neck. i had no side effects.
i didnt get it in the right paces to look younger so no help there :lol: in short i would keep it up and think the more rounds you have the more effective it becomes but its not cost effective and in oz its not on the pbs/medicare refunds etc. its going to cost me about $900 via the neuro at a public hospital here.
by the way thanks for your support! i hope your travelling well

It’s something I’m really thinking about… MAVLisa and I have very similar symptoms (although Lisa’s are extreme personified as we all know) but the things that have hurt us most are almost identical.

I just keep thinking ‘what if it worked’… yes I’ve heard that you may need 2 or 3 treatments for it to be effective. I know my counsin raves about it.

Botox is on the NHS in the UK but I know there is some strict criteria around qualifying for it. I have today written to Dr S to ask if this is something he would recommend in my case and would do I need to do to get a referral (besides flying back to the other side of the planet!!).

I might also tell Mr Botox that my migraine is particularly bad around my crows feet and frown lines :shock:

Muppo, I believe the two main criteria for getting Botox on the NHS here in the UK, are that you are not suffering from medication overuse, that could be a difficult one to prove in my case because I am not absolutely sure, I have managed this problem for over 20 years with small bits of painkiller every day, but not usually amounting to more than 1 or 2 tablets (I break them in small bits) … and secondly that you have tried at least 3 x preventatives, well thats a joke with me, I have tried over 20 :roll: Yeh, I was thinking the same, could they please put a bit extra around the eyes, just about where the laughter lines are, not much good for me, my migraines are nearly always at the back of my head!

Christine

Just for anyone interested in the history of Botox. Fascinating stuff.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10027913/JOAN-KRON-Botox-began-biological-weapon-used-fight-migraines-pain.html