Labapentin

Iā€™ve been to see dr S he said it was migraine and gave me a prescription for labapentin 100 mg. not sure if I should take it as I hate to take tablets and not really sure if I really have it. Can you tell me if anyone has had success And what the side effects are.

Gina, welcome to the forum and sorry youā€™ve been suffering with migraine. Are you sure thatā€™s the right spelling? I suspect you mean ā€˜Gabapentinā€™?

Can I recommend you use the search facility once youā€™ve determined the name of the drug as that will stop you relying only on existing active posters: that drug is not currently fashionable for MAV. There is a wealth of historical posting on all the drug classes. Start with this Category

Hi and welcome.

Iā€™m not sure about that particular drug, but all of turnitaroundā€™s advice is worth listening to.

You may not like taking meds, but youā€™re unwell. You have an illness that is most likely disrupting your life. Itā€™s worth giving the meds a try. If they donā€™t work out, your doctor can recommend something else. I was worried about the meds I take, but I took a leap of faith.

Do tell us more about yourself. We all have a common interest here, so you have a very attentive audience.

2 Likes

That figures. Somebody else was telling me only the other day they waited and waited and waited for Dr Sā€™s letter of diagnosis and treatment options to reach their doctor and eventually when it didnā€™t arrive they rang his office and it is turned out it was held up because he was away on leave and his administrator couldnā€™t read his handwriting! Expect it says ā€˜Gabapentinā€™ really. That would make sense.

Surely nobody likes taking tablets anymore than we like feeling unwell. Itā€™s often a question of ā€˜Needs Mustā€™.

With regard to not sure you have migraine you need a meaningful diagnosis you can believe in to work with. Perhaps before you decide whether to start the drugs or not, you need to think it through a bit. Dr S is eminent in his field so is unlikely to be incorrect and Gabapentin is sometimes used for migraine/MAV/VM prevention. If you use Search facility youā€™ll find alot of archive material. @Natty04 (busy young Mum) takes it too and might just find time to chip in. Side effects are listed in the PIL which comes with the pill packet. Helen

1 Like

Hello. Iā€™m not on gabapentin anymore, didnā€™t really notice any improvement after 4 mths so gave up. Currently on Nort 40mgs which is also not really helping. Currently being investigated for other causes. So will have to re-evaluate when I get my mri results. Sorry I couldnā€™t of been more help.

1 Like

Thx Natty for that. Well itā€™s an answer, your own personal experience. Dr Hain mentions Gabapentin as not being particularly effective I believe but, like all drugs, itā€™s helped some people alot. Helen

1 Like

Hi Ginan I havenā€™t tried gaba but have a friend who sees dr s who I doing very well on it at 900mg a day :slight_smile:

1 Like