Just diagnosed, scared, and don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!

Thank you for the kind words, I just took a job that will have be traveling all over the US weekly by plane and itā€™s a bream come true. I would be Devastated to find out I canā€™t do this job because I have MAV or VM.

Welcome to the forum, Ryan.

It will make it more of a challenge, but thereā€™s no reason why you canā€™t do that job, especially if you find a regime that works for you. The motivation to do that job will really help! Hang in there!

1 Like

Bless you @turnitaround, you all have just been such a peaceful word in this frightening time in my life.

2 Likes

Yes, itā€™s pretty bluminā€™ crazy this MAV rubbish!! But always remember its because itā€™s playing with your mental model of space and movement, which really messes with you. Once you get the right regime, your brain should calm down and so will ā€˜youā€™.

Try not to be frightened of it. It will give you anxiety but know that thatā€™s normal and nothing about it will kill or injure you (unless you have a fall, but only a small minority ever fall).

3 Likes

you will be fine, I am sorry you are going through this. Take it easy, at the beginning you will have to slow down a little bit and be patient. Progress to recovery is not measured in days, but weeks and months. Come here if you need to vent. If the neuro canĀ“t help you today, ask for a referral to a neuro-otologist. I have worked all the time even at my worst moments, not at my best, but has helped I think for my mental state. I also took sick days when needed and just rested. Wishing you all the luck with treatment!

4 Likes

Ryan, in addition to having the Neuro rule out other conditions, a bad spell like this may be helped by a steroid pack, regardless if the ultimate cause is inner ear disease or migraine. Itā€™s what inevitably helps me in a bad long flare. I canā€™t recall if youā€™ve had an MRI. Neuros usually love to do brain MRI, and they can rule a lot of things out.

Did you have a history of regular migraines in your life? Or a family history?

Do you have any ringing in your ear or ears or head? Any hearing loss?

Were you sick with a virus or shingles before this?

Iā€™m hoping you get answers soon!!

Thank you for the advise, iā€™m taking note of this for my next visit with the neurologist. I have not had an MRI yet however, we are getting one within the week. They have to find one that will accommodate my size ( kinda made me sad).

1 Like

What did the Neuro say today? (Besides to get MRI). Did the Neuro have any thoughts?

1 Like

UPDATE!!!

Today i saw the Neurologist, He said he wants to rule out either Vestibular migraines or Basilar migraines with the MRI and look at all the blood flow to my brain. We didnā€™t get any real answers but we were able to leave feeling like we were on a path that will help and in the right hands. Last night I had an episode of EXTREME dizziness and nausea where i vomited from from 6:30pm to 8:30pm when I was finally able to take a PROZAC and get to sleep. Today my head is very foggy and is POUNDING. My body is drained and sore from all the heaving. Iā€™m praying for some relief very soon.

The reason he wants to rule out Basilar Migraines or MBA is when I have an episode I lose some motor function like speech and movements. :arrow_left: anyone else have this issue?

1 Like

So glad your pleased with the visit and yesā€¦ it is a great relief when we feel like we are on the right path forward! Do keep us updated!

1 Like

So what can you eat lol? I asked the neuro today if he thought I would have any ā€œtriggersā€ and he said probably to if the migraines are just now starting and I have been eating these things my whole life. I went over the list with him and he was impressed.:rofl:

1 Like

I sure will @Naejohn.

Much love ,

• Ryan
1 Like

Itā€™s is indeed a daunting list! I miss chocolate of course! But I miss mostly olives and peanut butter! Iā€™m quite ridged with eliminating all on that sheet, but most Drs and many here in the forum just follow the 6Cs diet, which are:

1. Cheese ( + dairy products)
  2. Caffeine (Now on decaff only)
  3. Chinese food (MSG ā€“ Soups, crisps, processed meats)
  4. Citrus Fruit and Drinks (+ Pineapple and Banana)
  5. Chianti + Red Wine
  6. Chocolate
    Still daunting but not nearly so much as my Drs diet :blush: And guess what? Iā€™ve STILL increased one dress size! :pensive: Itā€™s just the nature of many, if not most of the medications for MAV. Iā€™m so happy that you found a good Neuro who seems to understand MAV! We are here for youā€¦ cheering you on!!!

@velazquez013 YES I have basilar migraines. To my knowledge, that cannot be seen on MRI. I call them stroke migraines. Mine are infrequent fortunately. They are treated similar to regular migraines. Verapamil is the preventative of choice I believeā€¦

2 Likes

Forgot to add- I have uncoordinated walking- like I feel Iā€™m getting Parkinsonā€™s. And nausea, dizziness is like on a small boat at sea in the storm of the century. And tingling in my face and leg. Sometimes wavy vision like looking ahead at a road with heat coming off. And inability to find words to even have a simple conversation.

What differentiates this type of migraine from other conditions is that it comes in attacks, and all reverts to mostly normal in between. Good to have MRI to rule things out-.

1 Like

I found this interesting @GetBetter. Dont take painkillers?

IMPORTANT

Dr Nicholas Silver in the UK is the neurologist migraineurs see when they have failed to gain migraine control under the supervision of previous neurologists. He is extremely systematic and methodical in helping people gain control. He says the main reasons that people fail ā€“ even when they are on a migraine preventive drug ā€“ is because patients are still using caffeine in some form (coffee, tea, green tea, chocolate, colas) or they are using painkillers. Some nasal decongestants can act similarly to perpetuate the condition. A chronic migraineur should NEVER use any painkillers ā€“ not ibuprofen, paracetamol, Tylenol, or aspirin and definitely not the more heavy-duty ones such as the opiates unless it is an emergency but no more than four times per year. Even one cup of caffeinated tea per week can be enough to perpetuate chronic migraine, so NO CAFFEINE. If youā€™re using painkillers now, the best way to get off is to go ā€œcold turkeyā€. Headaches may get worse over the first week and should then ease off. Use other methods to work with headaches such as cold packs etc.

1 Like

I miss red wine :cry:

1 Like

diet is for a while (super clean for 3-4 months) then you can reintroduce things or eat them sparingly. For now I would concentrate on eating protein, vegetables and fruits and carbs (bread, crackers, pasta), if you can go fresh and organic, even better, lots of water and reduce caffeine. (i have to confess I drink two cups now, one regular and one decaf.

1 Like

@napagirl, about 6 months before MAV claimed me as a victimā€¦ I tried red wine since there was so much positive news about red wine antioxidants etc. it absolutely knocked my feet out from under me! My head literally felt like it was splitting. I didnā€™t know at the time of course that I had the ā€œmigraine brainā€ even then. :wine_glass: Do you drink white wine by chance? I know some people have gotten used to it and like it well enough.

the ā€œneverā€ use painkillers is also not that hardcore rule, I take them around my period, i would say I take them 2-3 times per month. So dont over stress about the never or always. Key is moderation.

1 Like