Ive been a part of this forum for a while but never wrote anything

Before this happened all I remember doing was going for a walk in blistering winds lol, the next day I woke up and was dizzy for 24 hrs so of corse doctors said it was labs. Other then that I donā€™t recall anything else having brought this on. I had surgery for a completely different reason months before but not on my ears so would that cause this?
Iā€™ve had most of those symptoms also, I hate the marshmallow floor one I still get that every now and again.

Did you ever have an injury to your ear or is that just a possibility, oh I always use to clean my ears and I know that can cause serious damage

Bingo. Thereā€™s your one-off moment. Imho most people under estimate the fragility of ears.

Itā€™s amazing what doctorā€™s will blame on ā€˜virusesā€™!

My doctor believes the pressure of the water or a slug of wax hitting the ear drum caused the stapes to puncture the oval window of the inner ear. Itā€™s very hard to prove but probably an injury which is more common that realised. This would cause perilymph to leak until it heals and this sets up an inner ear fluid imbalance and escalating symptoms which apparently takes years and years to resolve ā€¦ the confusing part is you can remain asymptomatic for a long time after the injury so people rarely connect the two. Once Iā€™d got over the initial 4.5 weeks of imbalance (it totally disappeared), I had 5 months almost of blissful peace before the chronic crp hit me.

You can also get similar injuries from big jumps in pressure or ā€˜barotraumaā€™.

No ordinary doctor has any concept of this.

So the chronic stuff will be forever then? What do you suffer with everyday? I found that after the initial diZziness a few months down the line is when I started to suffer with my ears. That sounds interesting and it really does make sense. However is it better for it to be because of that or something else I wonder. Yeah I had 6 months of blissful peace and now find I had little symptoms daily. Would there been a chance it would completely go if it is caused from that type of injury

I donā€™t believe so and I live in hope. I have improved immensely. Unfortunately this is where medicine letā€™s us down because there is no documented natural history for such an injury.

How long has it been since it started for you? Gosh thatā€™s crazy to think that.

Didnā€™t you already ask me that?

I did, my short term memory is so pants. Donā€™t know wether thatā€™s this migraine thing or baby brain at the moment lol

1 Like

Haha, no problem

Donā€™t know whether high winds could actually be the entire cause of MAV but certain the effect of high winds on people with any existing sort of balance issues is often to bring on dizziness. Experienced this myself, much to my surprise initially, walking outside in strong wind soon after 24/7 dizziness had kicked in. Balance became immediately more difficult and the following day I was much more dizzy and my ears felt strange. I was soon warned by somebody who is profoundly deaf and told to always keep my ears covered in strong wind to avoid this (works up to a point) or keep out of the strong winds entirely. It is apparently extremely common amongst deaf people, as well as anybody who has coordination or balance issues, ataxia etc. Just one more thing for the brain to have to cope with when itā€™s already struggling I guess. ā€˜The straw that broke the camelā€™s backā€™ maybe,

Helenā€¦my ears are horrendous when im out and about in strong windsā€¦not just an increase in dizziness but i get severe right ear pain and have to strap a hot water bottle to it and take gabapentin to ease itā€¦often wonder why just my right ear tho :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Jo x