Its over. (Admin: no it's not! Far from it!)

How long on meds u cone off and it happens or does it cure it heal it?

Usually people stay on the medication for one year after their symptoms have completely dissapeared.

For some people it never comes back. If it does come back, then it is likely that you go back on the meds and start the process again from the beginning

And could continue forver? If i had md you think they would have told me by now? How do u stay calm in an attack

Ane, you have to stop fearing the sensations. Itā€™s a natural reaction to start with, but my suggestion is to just react with boredom as much as possible - roll your eyes (if they are not flickering too much! ;)) and just think ā€˜oh my how boring of you you stupid bodyā€™ and let yourself go through the attack and know you will get to the other side pretty shortly.

You canā€™t let your own sensations take control of you.

You really need to look at this differently.

(But yes, I have felt like you do now so I know where you are coming from).

Please, go see your doc and get a counsellor. Take the next steps. Go go!

1 Like

Itā€™s possible but quite unlikely that you would continue the medicines forever. Please donā€™t fear medicines, they sound scary but two days after taking them youā€™re already used to the idea!

Yep, from your other posts I have seen that youā€™ve been tested for it 4 times. No need to continue down that path, anymore, thatā€™s just health anxiety talking.

To stay calm during an attack I usually take a triptan and just distract myself until its over

2 Likes

Yes.

Ane, read this book (itā€™s brilliant and very eye-opening):

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

ā€œOvercoming Health Anxietyā€
More recommended books here
2 Likes

Triptan?

Itā€™s a pill that you melt on your tongue to get rid of a migraine attack

Ane, Iā€™m heading off to eat now (as a fellow Melbournian you know itā€™s dinner time). I hope you follow our advice on how to tackle the MAV and the psychological impact ti has had on you. Please donā€™t feel any shame that having this illness has given you anxiety. As a psychologist once said to me ā€œwhat kind of robot would you be if being stuck in bed sick for two years didnā€™t upset you at all?ā€.

Itā€™s not over. You will get better. You just have to take the next step!

Best wishes,
D

2 Likes

Well done D!

1 Like

Maybe ill ask about emergency meds i have nothing. I never have head pain though , boy this condition has me so confused . I can barely move my ears arr so full amd pain promise thats vm?

In terms of emergency meds, an anti-histamine such as phenergan or a benzo such as Valium may be helpful for individual spinning attacks, as well as the anxiety that comes with them.

Yep, all those symptoms can definitely be vm.

Best of Luck, D

Iā€™m sure that many people here have asked for help in the form of counselling. Itā€™s a tough illness and sometimes depressing for us. I wouldnā€™t look too far into the future. We donā€™t know whatā€™s going to happen. Iā€™ve thought and feared about what happens as I get older and if my balance doesnā€™t get any better. Itā€™s a bit easier to live for now without thinking 10 or 20 years ahead. It takes a while to put those fears aside.

I think youā€™re right to ask about some emergency meds. You should most certainly discuss your situation with a doctor. Be very honest about what your concerns are.

1 Like

@An4749, oh dear oneā€¦ what can we do for you?
Every single one of us here on this forum have tried talking, offering advice, offering support, even at times using capital letters to ā€œscreamā€ in order to get your focus where it NEEDS to be to begin healing. I donā€™t know how to counsel you and encourage you any more.

As suggested by @turnitaround &@d.powell the cycle you are in must be broken in order for you to ever move forward. You must seek counseling to ALLOW yourself to heal. YOU have that power! If only one day Ane would message me or D or James and say ā€œI am ALLOWING myself to heal starting today!ā€ā€¦ what a day of excitement that would be for all of us!
YOU are ultimately in control of where you go from here, today is the day YOU need to make the decision that could change your life, that you could ā€œBE FREEā€.
Call your Dr and tell them that you are ready and WILLING to heal :raised_hands:t3:

6 Likes

I have a lot of verbal abuse and emotional stress could all this cause mav and continue it to grow into the beast it is? Weekly torment itā€™s so bad

They do say stress can cause/contribute towards illness. Iā€™m sure it can aggravate it and constant anxiety will certainly keep it running. Most migraineurs seem to be rather hyperactive, high achiever, perfectionist types. It does seem to happen less to quiet, laid back types. Calmness and rest heals. Helen

I cannot take the pressure in my ears itā€™s horrendous. So no stress can heal me ?

Meds should take away ear pressure eventually. Meds will reduce symptoms. Less stress will help as will less anxiety which should come from having less symptoms. Meds is your way forwards. That combined with lifestyle changes, trigger avoidance, diet, caffeine reduction. Helen

Worried I have eustachian problem may go and have vestibular testing done again worried I have fluid in ears

Or you could accept the obvious diagnosis and take the meds you need. Otherwise youā€™re just spinning. Take active responsibility for your own healing.

2 Likes

Hi @An4749 Iā€™ve been reading your post lately but have kept quiet since Iā€™m very new to this mav thing and most of them time donā€™t have much useful advice.

But I wanted to take the time to remind you that you are not alone in this, I get where you are coming from, Iā€™m very scared of that sensation when I feel like Iā€™m about to start spinning, when it happens I freak out, my mom has Menieres, Iā€™ve seen first hand how brutal those vertigo attacks can be so im scared, just like you ā€¦but one thing for sure is that we are very lucky to have found this forum, thereā€™s a lot of amazing people here, some of them have dealt with this for a long time, so although they arenā€™t drs they know what they are talking about it, Iā€™ve seen them give you amazing advice & I understand why you are so scared of everything but you need to remind yourself that you wonā€™t know if medication is going to work or not until you try itā€¦ it sounds like you have way more than just the mav going on, how about you start looking into therapy for the verbal abuse and stress.

Please donā€™t let this defeat you, we are stronger than this crappy illness

6 Likes