The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Interesting article on MAV

A Personal Spin on Migraine-Associated Vertigo Treatments: With few formal guidelines, otolaryngologists use trial and error

https://www.enttoday.org/article/a-personal-spin-on-migraine-associated-vertigo-treatments-with-few-formal-guidelines-otolaryngologists-use-trial-and-error/?singlepage=1

1 Like

This article is 2011. Now VM is more well known and we have come a long way since 2011. Infact the number of drug trials for VM has exploded in the last several years.

1 Like

Hi. This is the chap you are seeing on 4th. I really like the sound of Dr Foster, the lady doctor. So sensible. Just goes to show GP with common sense just tries migraine preventatives in persistent cases ‘just to see if it works’, like that. I know it sounds bit horrendeous trying a drug just ‘in the hope’ but I’d have given it a go. Much better than twelve years episodic severe vertigo attacks, and being told it was BPPV, and ‘there’s nothing we can do about that’.

Really good article on MAV I’d say. Most comprehensive summary I’ve seen to date. It’s from 2011 but still totally relevant. Nothing much has changed. (No cure, unfortunately), not that I can see. Thanks for finding it, and it looks like you wil be in safe hands. Helen

1 Like

Yes Helen, this is the chap. Thank you for remembering that tid bit :sparkling_heart:I am really looking forward to seeing him and feel the more I read up on him that I am fortunate to meet with someone who may actually have a plan and hopefully some real answers. As you mentioned with your “it’s BPPV”, I have been diagnosed 3 times and 3 ways by 3 doctors. Maybe it’s all three, maybe not. I thought the article was informative and also reminds me that not only are we (as patients) frustrated, I also believe the good, caring doctors are frustrated by lack of a clear path.

1 Like

“The lingering uncertainty over diagnosis and treatment has led some critics to openly question whether the condition is being oversold. Neurotologists at the University of British Columbia recently published a commentary in the journal Headache in which they labeled migraine-associated vertigo as “neither clinically nor biologically plausible as a migraine variant” (2010;50(8):1362-1365).”

Quite! But then what is headache, what is migraine? What causes them?

Even if you “believe” in the “headache hypothesis” there still has to be a driver for it … what is that?

I personally don’t think the 24/7 dizziness is a headache or migraine, it’s a neurological sensation where the brain is receiving signals it has not learnt to expect … ie something has changed.

I’m glad i’m not the only sceptic!:

Shame we can’t get the full text …

Here is the full text:

Migraine and vertigo: a marriage of convenience?
J Phillips, N Longridge, A Mallinson and G Robinson, Headache , Sep 2010
https://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2010.01745.x

That site, “Sci-Hub,” provides access to many scholarly articles. I found the above article by searching on the article’s title in the search bar on their home page: https://sci-hub.tw/

3 Likes

Well, they do say that basilar artery migraines are definitely real and can cause dizziness. And so you could still ask the question, why does that happen?

Now why couldn’t I find that? Thanks Anna!

Sure, but they are not 24/7? Thank god!

1 Like

Is it possible to have back-to-back basilar migraines (i.e. chronic)?

Thanks alot for that Anna. I’ve got stuck several times with that one with other scholarly articles. I’ll make a note of that for future reference.

Unfortunately, after all that excitement, this doesn’t really help. I found it interesting to hear it called ‘Recurrent Vertigo’. Years ago i overheard my case being discussed as that. At the time I thought it was a description not a condition. Maybe for some/many it’s more accurate than Migraine Associated Vertigo. Others seem sceptical,

The two phrases that caught my eye were:

‘We believe that patients are currently diagnosed with Migraine Associated Vertigo for want of a better explanation

‘An all-encompassing explanation for patients currently given a diagnosis of Migraine Associated Vertigo is unlikely’

It’s all in the name it seems. It could just as well have been called AYUVP - ‘As Yet Unknown Vestibular Pathology’. Now that would really confuse Grandma!, or we go back to the ‘ floating calcium particles’ hypothesis. It’s not surprising we’re all dizzy. Must be because we just seem to go round and around. Helen

5 Likes