IMPORTANT: Replying to old threads & post dates

Guys,

Be aware of the age of threads you see in Search

I’ve noticed lately (and over time) a few people replying to old threads. And when I say old, I mean OLD.:skull:

Personally, I’ve no objection that you do this, and its arguably better than duplicating a topic, but be warned that I’ve rarely seen anyone who has not been on the site in the last 2 years come back on and respond.

So, if you have a choice of threads on a particular subject, try to at least pick a relevant one from the last couple of years or so. If not, and just to manage your expectations, you may not be lucky that someone responds.

BOTTOM LINE: Always check the date of last response on a thread so you get a feel for how likely you’ll be responded to.

If you are just re-igniting an old thread for the benefit of currently active members and don’t expect one of the site’s alumnI to respond then fine :slight_smile:

btw, I could start to close old topics which would enforce this discipline, but I’m not sure members would appreciate preventing this behaviour completely? Perhaps a member poll is in order …

Cheers,

James

1 Like

My opinion is, leave the old threads as-is. I’ve been on other forums where I’ve resuscitated old threads because I wanted to discuss that same particular topic, or because there was newer information to provide.

I’ve noticed that some users don’t see the old dates and assume that the old posters will respond. I think if someone does that, one of us can just reply to the new poster, explain that it’s a very old thread and that we hope the original poster got better and stopped visiting this site.

4 Likes

An update on this. @Manatee made a suggestion that if we updated the post date format from MM 'YY to MM YYYY it might be more clear that old posts were indeed … pretty old.

e.g.: Apr '15 might be being confused with Apr 15th, so instead could we consider displaying Apr 2015, making it obvious the post was 3 years old, not under 1?

I thought this was a great suggestion and as it turns out, I’ve found a way to do that without much work. So, hopefully now, there will be less confusion.

You need to refresh your page to see this update

Thanks for that great suggestion, Anna!

NB I don’t want to discourage people from replying to old threads, though, because I know it’s really great when old timers come back and give us an update. However, just be conscious that they may have moved on and no longer visit the site so you may not get a response. No harm in trying though! In some circumstances, though, it might be better to choose a more recent Topic to reply to, use your discretion.

3 Likes

This is great! Thank you!

1 Like