Help needed

Hi,

I am a 34 year old lawyer and I am very ill with a vestibular migraine disorder and would very much appreciate some advice. I have seen Dr Surenthiran in the UK a few times and was taking 1.5 mg of Pizotifen, 25mg of Topiramate and 100mg of Lyrica per day. After a number of years of building up to this dose my symptoms (which are mainly dizziness, fogginess in the head, stiff neck and lethargy) were finally under control. I am also very careful with my diet (no coffee, chocolate,citrus, red wine, diary or bananas) and I try and regulate my sleep very carefully. In May 2013, under the supervision of Dr Surenthiran, I gradually came off all my medication as I am trying for a baby. I have not yet fallen pregnant and continue to try but am unsure how long it will take. Dr Surentherin recommended that I do not take any medication while trying for a baby and being pregnant. He said that pregnancy should act as a barrier to all the symptoms and that we could introduce medication again after I give birth should my symptoms return.

I am in a very stressful situation now because I don’t know how long it will take me to get pregnant and my symptoms have become extremely acute. I am having trouble even getting off the bed. I am due to start a job in two weeks and am very afraid that I will not be able to cope. Dr Surenthiran did mention that there are some medications that you could take while pregnant although it is not advisable. I have tried to get hold of Dr Surenthiran but to no avail and my next appointment is not till next year. I understand from reading your posts that some woman were on Amitriptyline or Periactin while pregnant. Although I understand those on this forum may not be doctors but from your experiences would you recommend starting on one of these meds or any others. Also, given the difficulty of getting hold of Dr Surenthiren, could you recommend any other Dr’s in the UK or even abroad who would be willing to consult via skype or phone?

Thanks!

Hiya,

Poor you, I really sympathise with you. I spoke to Dr Surinthian only last week about the same thing - pregnancy/medication etc. Is there no way you could call him and leave a message with his secretary? Surely he would help even if it wasn’t the same day? You are probably going to feel quite ill for a little while just because you aren’t on anything and your body is used to having medication so it might settle down in a few more weeks, I found this when I came off of Propranolol one time. I hope you feel better soon xx

Thank you so much for your kind words of support. I have actually got an appointment with Dr Suren today hurray! Are you on any medication or are you staying off it while trying for a baby and pregnant?

That’s great how did your appointment go? Did he suggest any medication that was safe to take whilst trying to conceive? I made the decision to take meds for another 6 months before trying for a baby but to be honest I’m starting to think I might come off the meds sooner to give my body chance to recover. In the meantime I’m taking vitamins to balance my hormones (evening primrose oil) etc and I’m also being very strict on diet because I feel like hormones and diet are my main triggers.

Probably you’ll want to stay off meds whilst nursing, too.