The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Has Amitryptline saved me?

Hi all, its been a while since I updated with my amitryptline progress but I wanted to share with you all my seemingly dare I say success?!

Since starting the diet and 20mg of Ami My symptoms have dramatically reduce particularly the head pressure! Ear pressure is present most morning but seems to dissipate as the day follows. I haven’t had a true Migraine since the 7th Feb! Now this is unheard of for me, for the last 4 years I have had constant true migraine at varying degrees of severity and now they are present around menstruation along with some dizziness and ear pressure. I cannot believe the change!! Something I never though possible!

I have my life back around 70% id say, the dizziness is kind of always in the background and I do feel a little spacey but I can live with that. I do think Botox, Ami & the diet the combination has helped get me to this place and I am wondering would 30mg get me dizzy free? Something to speak with my Neuro about.

Xmas I had a massive relapse and was so low, I was apprehensive to try Ami but boy am I glad I did! When I do have food I shouldn’t I get way dizzier so I am getting there with testing triggers now my Migraines are more controlled.

I managed a 45min cardio sesh yesterday and it felt amazing!! I really hope I havent spoke too soon about Ami but will keep you all updated on my current progress. This forum and the lovely people that frequent it are whats helped me through the dark times so thank you all for your kind and encouraging words :grin:

There’s hope for us all! :two_hearts:

Congratulations MNEK I am so thrilled for you. Thank you for sharing your success, it gives me hope that I too will get better one day. It’s really about finding the right med at the right dose, how long is it since you started Ami? I had sinus surgery recently and while it helped some of the symptoms that have plagued me over the last 2+ yrs I am still left with a milder headache but the most disabling symptom is still the “visual vertigo” - dizziness on walking outside either day or night, dizziness in artificial light particularly shopping centers and difficulty driving like my eyes and brain can’t take it all in so I just don’t drive now. Did you have these symptoms and have they all disappeared with the Ami? It was the first med that I tried but unfortunately my heart was racing on it and GP took me off it. I am due to give Venlafaxine another try once my recovery from surgery is complete.

Im am overjoyed to hear this…i am about where you are 70% better as the day follows and a combo of Botox & Venlafaxine are my " partial" silver bullet. I think i now need to increase my meds to help with morning and positional dizzines
Well done you!!!:ok_hand:

Hi Mav!

Thank you for your reply! I am thrilled to not be so limited and disabled by this! The main symptoms that were constant were head pressure and ear pressure with a actual true migraine. Those seem to have gone away for the most part however I am still struggling with some ear pressure most mornings but it seems to be for short periods so it definitely much more controlled. Its difficult to say which is helping the most but I am confident that the combi I am taking is all helping in ways. I still am motion sick some days and a little dizzy in the mornings its varies on severity but I am hoping if I increase to 30mg it will help, 8 weeks until I see neuro so I will ask her advise on that too.

Yes I have eye/head not in sync feeling was quite often/daily but now doesn’t seem as bad. Did they try you on Nort? I heard thats a similar drug to ami? Good luck with Effexor! :grin:
I reallt hope it helps you!! X

Great to hear of your progress :sunglasses:

If a small dose is working, then either longer time on that dose or s larger dose may help more. Ask your Dr but definitely worth seeing if you can get even further on this.

Hi Jo! Thank you! I know - I never thought I could feel this much better!! :crossed_fingers: yes, similarly I hope increasing may help? I guess it’s trail and error…
I am just on my way to the gym! As you can imagine - words I haven’t spoken for a fair while!!:wink:I hope we continue to do well x

Big congrats so good to see you improving so much and feeling so well. Long may it continue for you and I suspect going to 30mg will give you more. Keep us posted x

I’m very glad to hear this and hope there are only continued improvements. If you have days that feel less good, remember the ones that were great and know that it is possible. And in the meantime enjoy partaking of more normal-life activities and allow them to bolster your optimism even further.

This is amazing news! I’m so pleased for you my friend! Yay!!! :kissing_heart:

amazing, well done!

Hi Gidlabu,

Thank you for your reply!
I started Ami on the 24th December at 20mg and after around 1 month saw visable changes! I do think it has changed things for me for sure. I am well informed on diet thanks to this forum and feel more in control now. Do you think I should up the dose to 30mg? X

Thank you Elaine!

Do you think 30mg will take away the lingering symptoms? I sure hope so! I am just thrilled with the progress on Ami! I suppose I am so used to feeling rubbish it is very noticable to feel well! X

Thanks everyone! I hope we all can feel well again!! :two_hearts:

Hi MNEK
I am thrilled to hear that so many of your symptoms are drastically reducing, it gives us all hope. If you are nervous about going up to 30mg, could you just increase to 25mg first and see what it does for you - if it gives you a little more improvement without setting off intolerable side effects you can then make a decision to go up again. Perhaps other AMI users can advise you if it’s possible/ok to increase in 5mg increments.
Best wishes
Karen

As we all know nothing is guaranteed with medication kirsty, and as someone climbing her way thru effexor, each day can vary with med. I’d be optimistic for you based on your tolerance for ami and the fact you are seeing such positive results. My neuro told me two weeks ago that getting to my dose, tolerating it well plus seeing good results means that when I go up again, very likely it will resolve more of my symptoms, he felt that once a med working so soon, it usually has a lot more to give, so the very best of luck when you go up, keep us posted x

Consult with your Dr but in my opinion, if the drug is working with not too much of side effects, then it will be worth a go to increase - subject to medical opinion of course!

I am on 50mg Nortriptyline and this helps with my head pressure and head pain too. I was on the lower dose for about a year and then moved slowly up to 50mg and I find at this dosage it seems to be most effective for me. Unfortunately, I still have some visual issues, left sided neck pain, left eye ache and slight dizziness (especially in shopping centres where light sensitivity is an issue) but I am SO much better than I was before. Sadly the botox didn’t work for me, in fact it magnified all of my symptoms which I had to wait 5-6 months for it to wear off completely. So happy for you :slight_smile:

Thats wonderful, Ive just started Ami yesterday after my neurologist took me off Zoloft and prop to try. As prop made me extremely sluggish. I get really bad migraines around my menstrual cycle that last up to 4- 5 days and I have been diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis with migraine. I have not felt normal since May 2018 and have had to give up work for the time being. So Im hoping this is my wonder drug. My Dr advised me to start on 5mg and possibly work my way up to 30mg. All the best to you and so good you can get to the gym I really miss working out.

Hi Jo! Thank you for your reply. I am sorry your having a rough time of it :disappointed: I know the feeling all too well! Im the same at the beginning of my menstrual cycle and for the whole of cycle but I can manage that. I suppose because my Migraines have been chronic for so long I had forgotten what its like live 90% but I do think Ami has helped me in heaps! I still have symptoms dont get me wrong but if I had to score id say ive gone from 40% to 70% which for me is a massive leap! Im doing the diet and having botox too but Ami has absolutely been my friend!

I wish you well and hope it helps you too!! Please let me know how you get on with it :grin:

:two_hearts:

Best wishes Jo! I do hope this is the medicine for you… it certainly has been good for me! I came down with this ugly MAV on Jan 9th, 2018. Started Ami in December and here we are the beginning of March and have consistently 70-80% of what I would consider “Normal” days :grinning: Have a another Dr appt on March 12th to see if my Dr is satisfied and where I go from here.
Hang in there! Ami was not bad at all for me. Side affects minimal compared to any other ugly day I was having! Do keep us posted!