I posted recently about my experience that brought me here. Today I got a second opinion that has more strongly supported that I’m dealing with vestibular migraines versus BPPV (the vertigo didn’t really fit, I have other neurological symptoms, etc.). I’ve had a lot of time to think over the last two weeks since I returned to work full time over what to do about work. I live an hour drive from work and am in a very physical field. Right now I am lucky enough that circumstances are coincidentally allowing me to get rides to and from work, but that’s likely to change in a couple of weeks. My work is also accommodating me so far, but it’s hard on my coworkers and times a potential safety hazard (I work in the veterinary field where not being able to move fast puts myself and others in danger and I have limited options to stay completely away from contact with the animals at the moment).
I love my job, but before this I was already planning on looking into a job closer to home. Not being able to drive pushed back that timeline. Now driving short distances (or at least getting a ride to something very close) is likely to be doable. Driving an hour each way will likely be impossible for a very long time (or least I won’t feel comfortable trusting it on a regular basis). Even being back to where I can be at a more normal pace at work is looking more out of reach by the day even if I can continue to get rides to work.
TL;DR, I’ve come to the conclusion that in the next few weeks I need to push hard to try to find a job really close to home before I have to quit. I could try to go for long-term disability, but it’d be a lie as I have strong doubts I’d ever be able to return (assuming they didn’t just say they couldn’t keep me).
Has anyone had to make this decision (or a similar hard decision). Alternately, would I be better off going on the long-term disability anyway in case something does change?