Going off Celexa, don't know what to try next

I have tried Effexor, Propranolol, Topamax and Celexa. Celexa has not done anything for me and I have been on it for over 2 months now. I talked to my general doctor yesterday and she asked me what I wanted to try next. I really don’t know, so I am just titrating off of the Celexa for now and was going to get advice from this board before I try anything else. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to give me advice.

Thanks,
Donna

Donna,
Have you gotten anything, either good or bad from any of these meds?
Maybe Lamictal or Depakote or Nori?

Kelley

Hi Kelley,

I couldn’t tolerate most of the meds except Citalopram (Celexa) which I am currently on and have been for over 2 months. The only one that did work at all was Propranolol for the headaches, but not dizziness.

I have never tried the ones you have listed yet. I will do some research on those. Thanks for the help.

Donna

I am getting good results from Celexa, but really started helping between 8-12 weeks, I do get help on bad days from adding a little Klonopin.

Hi Donna,

One of the main first line treatments for migraine is one of the tricyclic antidepressants and that could be your next stop. That would probably be my next point of call if I were you.

Low doses are usually effective for amitriptyline, nortriptyline, doxepin, imipramine, and prothiaden @ 50 mg/day or less. The end point with these meds is sleep without daytime sedation. In other words, you will wake feeling reluctant to get out of bed but should be wide awake as you walk out the door to start your day. If you feel sedated as you leave the house, you’re on too much of it.

S 8)

1 Like

Hi there,

Until yesterday, I was doing really well with the dizziness on 13mg of Nort and 10mg of propranolol. I started nort first and when I added in the propranolol I felt even better the first time I took it.

I had cranialsacral PT yesterday and an hour later, my dizziness is back! Wish I knew what that means. Had a headache when I went in, and it took that away and gave me back my dizziness. I have been about 85% for 10days.

K

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I am going to go off the Citalopram and may try Nori or Ami next.

Donna

Irishgirl45,
I know this is an old post but did you find something that worked?