Fresh cheeses?

Is there anyone who can eat non-aged dairy such as cottage cheese that has been warned off or had trouble with fresh mozzarella (the type in brine) or with paneer?

I can eat most cheeses. I can’t speak for cottage cheese because that just taste to salty to me these days. The cheeses that I stay away from are either processed such as cheese wiz or American cheese, or the aged to the point of molding cheeses such as bleu cheese. I can eat cheeses such as mild cheddar, swiss, provalone, etc.

Thanks, Brian.
Ironically, I’ve been warned off all the interesting cheeses–but told to go ahead and eat American cheese (-oid).
I do buy unsalted cottage cheese, basically as a source of protein that doesn’t have to be eaten the same day it’s bought.

If this helps:

American cheese is a ’ cheater’ food for me, meaning that I can get away with it here and there, but not a lot or often. Bleu cheese is a no-no food for me because it will set off my symptoms in less than 15 minutes.

I was told by my doctor I can eat ewes cheese…Pecorino. Easy to find here in Italy and delicious. I say away from the aged ones and have been eating the fresh ones happily with no problems.
Penny

— Begin quote from “penny”

I was told by my doctor I can eat ewes cheese…Pecorino. Easy to find here in Italy and delicious. I say away from the aged ones and have been eating the fresh ones happily with no problems.
Penny

— End quote

This is very interesting, especially about the pecorino, which I was excited about when I read your post as I need a replacement for Parmesan. I am a cheese fan and am having a really hard time giving it up. I’m still eating cottage cheese and cream cheese and I’ve found a nice goats’ cream cheese. However, I desperately miss Parmesan and Mozzarella which I use in Italian cooking. Pecorino, although from sheep’s milk is really aged, like Parmesan, and therefore high in tyramine and histamine. I’m confused about Mozzarella too - it’s fresh so why is it on lists of tyramine-high cheeses?

I have a friend who’s allergic to cow’s milk and is fine with goats and sheeps milk yogurt and cheeses etc. but this isn’t a tyramine thing. If it’s a tyramine thing then pecorino=bad and mozzarella = good. All v. confusing. I guess I just need to try them out!

Hi Izzy,

Yes I agree that giving up cheese is a nightmare. I ate none at all between May and last month, so was very happy when the doctor told me this , he also said goats cheese is ok.
The tyramine issue puzzles me too which is why I am staying away from aged Pecorino completely. But I think it is also something to do with the fact that " normal " cheese it is cow too …hence no cream which is surely not because cream is high in tyramine ?

Pecorino can be anything from really fresh to aged. It does not have to be the strong parmasan type cheese…as long as it is made from sheep , it is Pecorino…The grating kind is obviously very aged , but the fresh kind although cannot be grated, you can cut up little bits and put it on pasta for example, and it is better than nothing although the flavour is very mild.Not sure if you can get this kind outside of Italy but maybe in a good deli ?
It is also very delicious eaten with crackers and pears…be careful with the " natural flavours " in many crackers…
Be careful too , that it is Pecorino that is all ewes cheese , some of them at some times in the year are mixed ewe and cow.

obviously it could be that I am not sensitive to cheese at all which is why the pecorino doers not give me problems…I cannot face or risk any dizziness trying to find specific triggers so I keep away from them all , but being able to eat cheese gain has been a joy !

That’s why I mostly preferred Italian cheese, Most of these cheese products are not packed with preservatives, artificial colours or flavour enhancers. The great variety of Italian cheeses, ranging from fresh, mild creations like mozzarella to hard, aged cheeses with very mature flavors, such as Parmesan.

Here is the selection that I used to make dishes for my family http://www.vorrei.co.uk/Italian-Cheese, for me these are best suited to eating at the table, and are ideal for cooking.