Flying

HI all,
I am planning on flying down to los angeles (I live in san francisco) for a friends baby shower in mid december. It’s only a 45 minute flight. I have always flown without issues, but I don’t ever remember flying when I was having a flare of dizziness. over the last year I got the MAV diagnosis, I always thought I had labyrinthitis that causes my intermittent dizziness because of inner ear damage. I always new that long car rides made me dizzy, but when I fly I have never had it make me dizzy. Now I haven’t flown in a year since my mav diagnosis and the flare of my dizziness (from taking birth control pills I think). The dizziness comes and goes but I’m just anxious at the idea of flying. Like I said it has never bothered me in the past, should I assume it won’t now? It’s only a 45 minute flight. I guess i’m looking for some reassurance that flying is going to be okay…

I’ve flown OZ to the UK several times since diagnosis. No dramas at all. I do take a tiny bit of valium (2mg per flight) but mostly to take the edge off as I really don’t like flying (haven’t done for years - predates my diagnosis by a long time.

I’ve flown numerous times since getting my “worse” dizziness and had no problems whatsoever in the plane. Even on long flights from the U.S. west coast to Europe.

Only once did I have a short-lived problem–on the overnight flight home, woke up after a short dozing spell and suddenly felt awful, went to the toilet and really thought I was going to pass out from sudden dizziness, nausea, faintness. It passed after a couple of minutes and I was fine. That was one short spell out of dozens of flights over the years.

Good luck and enjoy the shower! I’m sure you won’t have any problem. As far as I’m concerned, planes are the LEAST-dizzying way to travel. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys! I have always done just fine with flying, it’s cars that make me dizzy. But I have never flown with my dizziness coming and going like it has over the last year. Thanks for the reassurance!