Flying Monday

Any tips etc How will I feel on landing and take off? Scared as Ive been doing good for a while but guess this Is me taking my life back. Scared everything could come back from this flight been struggling with left ear being full and popping but stopped all my meds months ago and touch wood been fine.
So how did you find flying especially take off and landing ?

I haven’t flown, afraid to :wink: I’m sure your flight will go well…hopefully people who’ve flown will give you some insight. Stay strong and let us all know how it goes. I’m sure you’ll be great…nerves are the real killer for some of us! Do you plan on taking anything before the flight to ease your anxiety about it? How long is the flight?

why did you stop your meds? were u getting awful side effects? do u normally have trouble with the pressure on planes? u could try wearing ear plane brand ear plugs but i have never tried them myself, might be helpful?

NB from admin: these images link to products other members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!

Flight Kit!

Decongenstant (US) Sudafed (UK) “Ear Planes” Memory Foam Neck Pillow

I would consider doing what you can to open up your eustachan tubes, nasal passages, & sinuses before the flight. An oral decongestant (Sudafed in the US) and a nasal spray (Afrin) might help. I just read a study showing the “Earplanes” have no effect on pressure equalization between the middle ear and ambient air… but just one study and millions are sold every year, so who knows?

NB from admin: these images link to products other members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!

Flight Kit!

Decongenstant (US) Sudafed (UK) “Ear Planes” Memory Foam Neck Pillow

oh wow kennedy thats really interesting can u post that link? i wore soft foam ear plugs for years when i flew (pre-mav) and they helped me so much with the pressure. my aunt recommended it when i was 15 and i tried it and it worked great for me- but check with ur dr. first. did the article say they were basically a placebo effect for people?

Hi Sarah, it is customary to stop Pizotifen after you reach an equilibrium - it’s not always a negative thing to stop meds! Blondie is doing much better, and therefore most likely came off due to this.

but if u get better bc the meds are controlling your symptoms, if you stop your meds, won’t the symptoms just come back?

Sorry for the slow reply - no that’s not how it’s supposed to work. The meds are supposed to “sooth” the migraine brain to a point where it is stable, and triggers don’t set us off. It’s the accumlation of a load of triggers that causes a migraine. Think of your brain as a full jug of water - when you’re at your worst, it’s constantly overflowing. Now, when we add meds, a diet change, and the right rest, the level of water in the brain jug goes down, meaning triggers don’t leave us feeling as bad. Eventually the meds will get the water level so low, that you can go back to normal. This takes time, but is possible.